Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

formula V curious
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
red caddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: formula V curious Reply with quote

Another old member getting back to my roots.

The current latest build, listed in my signature, is long over. I drove it daily for about 3 years, sold it, bought it back, 2 years later, and am again driving it daily. Too much fun, 'till it rains. gotta get me some fenders...

What I need now is a little help locating a builder Formula V.

What I have in mind is to find a beater/out of date formula V roller or a complete car. I want to cut and lengthen (tandem) an old "V" and make it street legal. I'm currently living in SW Florida, so this ain't as tough as it might be in some northern states. I have the time, the skills and a shop to build a real fun streeter.
The end goal is a fast, safe, fun to drive 2 seater, that retains the look and feel of the early V racers.

Would you guy's look around you and help me find a starting point ?
Thanks for your time and keep those cards and letters coming boy's and girl's

Paul in Floriduh

My last build thread. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466571
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-zing-formula-vee-fv-open/6623669889.html

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

A street legal Formula Vee would be sweet!
red caddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

Boy houdy, after a couple of months driving a street legal sand rail again, I got the bug for something a bit faster and better handling. (My wife says it's a third childhood thing) A stretched "V" with around 125 horsepower, should scratch that itch. (a hundred HP in the rail makes one pay attention)

I made contact with the seller in the link, it's a bare roller/engine. still waiting on history and such, but it's very interesting. I think the asking price might be a little high, for what's there, but we haven't started the dance yet. The sticky part might be the price of body parts, seller say's he has a source, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

The center section looks like 3 piece, roll formed .063 aluminum, with the nose and engine cover of fiberglass. With all the hacking I have planned, the center section would seem to be pretty easy. I wouldn't have to stay with the Zink body either, the frame dimensions I have seen are not very divergent. Would somebody please take an old fart to school?

I'd like to get the nose look closer to the Eagle or Lola nose and the rear cover closer to the old Champion flat deck, with a small spoiler or ground effects look. All that might make the purist/vintage guy's groan some, sorry about that...

And the search goes on...

Paul in Floriduh

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

Or buy a Berrien knockdown kit & build it how you would like, it seems like that would be easier.

A zero roll rear suspension isn’t going to work well with a side by side configuration, you’d have to build it as a tandem.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
red caddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

This always was, and is, a tandem style build, mostly to preserve the "formula" look.

I got a good look at a purpose built tandem 2 seater indy car. I didn't get to ride in it, but I talked to several that did. Apparently, flying back seat in an indy car is not for the faint of heart... it did however plant a seed...

I found the Berrien/acme site but no V or formula like stuff, could you link it for me please?

Thanks, Paul

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

Would you put a fan shroud on the motor? That would pretty much spoil the lines.
red caddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

Actually, I had already considered using a pancake engine. (Type 3)

Several of the bodies I have looked at will hide a 36 HP shroud or the old style Empi aluminum one. A custom shroud with a crank driven fan is not out of the question.

For street use, the cooling system should not need much help.

What advice do you'll have?

Thanks, Paul

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

None that I can offer. Just not sure how safe something that low and with little to no side protection will be on the street. A great idea, but with all the SUV's on the roads today, it seems like they would run you over and hardly notice. GL and be safe.
red caddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

Roger that, My current streeter sand rail is bright yellow, with flags and big lights. I still get close calls from socker mom's in Lincoln Navagators, lol. Fortunately, I can usually out maneuver them, easily. Does make me pay attention though.

I'm thinking of an "eyeball high" to a pickup, brightly colored wing, with tail lights and turn signals on it, as well as a couple of 8 foot CB whip antennae, with flags, Motion seems to catch the eye.

Thanks, Paul

Gt2race
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

as you probably realize that any formula vee will be very low to the ground
and if you wanted to use one anyway .... try thinking of a sortta side car configuration and make it a bolt on installation
seems everyone wants to reinvent the wheel so best of luck
Lawrence
formula vee owner
PS all those old ( vintage ) formula vee's are fairly pricey now since vintage racing is a big thing ... good luck but I would find a very nice Manx dune buggy and be hi and safe
red caddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

WOW, thanks for the reply. I thought this thread was long dead. I have since sold the street legal dune buggy, (for the 3rd, and hopefully last, time.

The new project is a 76 pinto. Tube frame, vintage, pro stocker, Bob Glidden clone. It's gonna be a nostalgia street cruiser with a 5oo cuin Cadillac /TH-400. Can't find a place to upload a pic of the Pinto. sorry.

The tandem "V" is still in planning, just haven't found a donor car yet.

Any help out there ?

Thanks, Paul

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: formula V curious Reply with quote

Honestly you would be better off designing a chassis yourself and finding someone with molds for a nose and tail and modify them to fit. By the time you modify the chassis of most Vee's to run a tandem seat it would be more work and a weaker chassis than if you ran solid frame members front to back. Most Vees were built from very light tubing to start with to build something another 3-4 feet longer will require stronger tube. The V I had was built with 1x1 square tube and I could easily lift the assembled chassis less drive train and beam into the truck. You'll also have to modify all the controls.

Formula Vees aren't getting any cheaper. If they have a log book they are golden. Like I said, I'd look for someone making vintage body parts and then do a google search for FV chassis pictures and design your own. They were a truely simple car.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: