Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broke down in Longview WA. (engine rebuild in progress)
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gulfaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Broke down in Longview WA. (engine rebuild in progress) Reply with quote

Hello everyone. We are travelling the US in our 78 westy. Driving down the highway and heard a loud clatter in engine. We pulled over and turn of the engine. Wouldn't restart. I check compression today and #3 only had 40psi. I'm In need of somewhere we could work on the bus in the area. If anyone could help or get me in contact with some who could I would really appreciate it. Thank you. Dustin.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

Dustin - talk with Avery's tomorrow. FWIW you might have dropped a valve seat.

https://www.averysaircooled.com/
Gulfaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

I talked with them today. He told me he wouldn't be able to look at it for a month. I was towed here yesterday and im camped out front on the street of he's shop now. I am unable to wait a month as I'm traveling right now. Any other suggestions?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

What direction are you traveling?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Gulfaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

North to Seattle. Then across the top of the states to Minnesota.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

If you dropped a seat, plan on about 1k part, 1k labor to deal with it - maybe save 500 or so if you get lucky and can do it with engine in car.

Tow to your final destination might be less and saves your time, of course.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

Hmm. I sent a text to someone that might be able to help. But he might be out of town. Keep you posted. If you need parts/tools from Portland I’ll be driving past you Friday night or Saturday morning.

There’s also an ACVW shop in Olympia.

http://www.olympiaautohaus.com/

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Gulfaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

Can you pull the head on a type 4 with engine in the bus?
Gulfaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

Can you pull the head on a type 4 with engine in the bus? I'm fine with spending the money to have it fix. Or somewhere I can do it myself I'll pay to rent a space to do it.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

Gulfaholic wrote:
Can you pull the head on a type 4 with engine in the bus?

Yes, but keep a low profile about it, as it upsets the real gurus here.

(They are right, by the way, its that grey area between creative mechanics and hackery)

Get the valve covers off and have a look at the valves to see if you have a stinker. You will need someone with more experience than I on a 78 and mushy oily valve lifters.

A poor mans' s compression test, turning the engine over and listening for 'even-ness' can also point you to a bad cylinder.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

Considering how little time it takes to pull and engine and how much of a PITA it is to remove the tin with the engine in place, I would recommend pulling the engine. That way you can also do the clutch and the crank seals while you are at it. Pulling the exhaust before removing the engine can be a good idea, especially if you do not have an engine stand available.

Towing or shipping your rig home and getting a rental car to finish your trip may will be your best option.
Gulfaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

I agree on pulling the motor but I'm on the side of the road in a residential area. If I had a place or driveway to do it i wouldn't even think of removing the head with motor in the bus.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

Maybe post a Craigslist ad for a place to work? Check out the Air Cooled Interstate Rescue Squad

<www.type2.com/rescue>

and the Vanagon Rescue Squad

<http://www.vanagonauts.com/vanagon-rescue-squad74.htm>

Can't be all that hard to fine a place in VW Transporter Heaven., Smile
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

These guys have ACVW users too

http://vanalert.com/

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

It all depends on how determined you are, and what skills and tools are available: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=362152 Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

#type4

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
It all depends on how determined you are, and what skills and tools are available: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=362152 Shocked
And in that case, blind luck as to where the valve stem broke..... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

I’ve contacted Robbie of Airschooled. He just happens to be in the middle of Oregon. I will PM you his private number. He can’t get on the The Samba Currently. His service is spotty at this time. Give him a call

https://www.airschooled.com/

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I’ve contacted Robbie of Airschooled. He just happens to be in the middle of Oregon. I will PM you his private number. He can’t get on the The Samba Currently. His service is spotty at this time. Give him a call

https://www.airschooled.com/

That’s probably a huge lift up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayday!! Broke down in Longview WA. Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
And in that case, blind luck as to where the valve stem broke..... Cool

Indeed, but a roadside head swap with the engine in place in a couple hours is rather epic don't you think?, not saying everyone is up to it, but it can be done.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: