Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

The sending unit didn't look too bad from the outside, once I pulled it out the float part was bent and there was no vent tube inside the tank. Doubtful the gauge has worked for quite a while.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All new lines, grommets, and basically any part that was associated with the tank I purchased. Hopefully my engine may never come out again so I might as well do it right this time.

I ran out of the Thermotech heat barrier, waiting for UPS to deliver the rest. Everything went pretty smooth taking it apart and putting it all back together, kept the venting tubes for reference when the new ones went back on.

Before I put the tank back I figured it would be a good time to skip ahead on the Bostig manual and install the wiring harness. This can be done with the gas tank in place, but much easier without it.

While I'm waiting for the last of the heat barrier material so I can put the tank back in, it was a good time to finish up the front end so all that is left is to put the new calipers, rotors and pads on and then I take the front end off the jack stands.. wooo hooo!!

Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Nice feeling to have the brakes on both front and rear. Tonight I need to make the two rear hard lines that run from the flex hose to the drum cylinder (21.6" if you're curious). Had to replace a few of the hard lines on the vehicle, but most were still fine. I did go with the stainless steel flex lines, always saw a huge improvement with that simple upgrade.

My wheels and tires should be in next week, I think that may have been one of the more difficult decisions to make. I do love the look of the larger tires, and have 8 new 944 CV's... but... I ended up going with a 215/65/16 (27" tire) for all around functionality and not too much engine loss for the Zetec. Can't wait to have the van resting on its own tires.

And this is what happens when you leave kids alone with your dog.. Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!!

Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Awesome work! Love these updates!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

After 8 months of being on jack stands, the van is finally able to sit on its own shoes. I went with the General Grabber AT2 215/65/16 (27") on GW alloy's. I went back and forth with this size and the next size up (215/70/16) which is a 28.1" tire. The Bostig could have handled the larger tire, but for functionality and looks (personal preference), I like the size I got. Currently the front is sitting at 21" from lip to hub, should settle a little but maybe not too much. I added a spacer for the rear for the added weight of the Bostig, rear tire carrier and roof rack.

Next up... Zetec engine prep.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

It's been a slow winter working on the Syncro, now that the weather is about to break I'll be back at it. I started building my own cabinet system, and made a half height cabinet to the rear hatch. Came out OK but there was a lot of wasted space and was never really happy with it.

I found a complete Westy cabinet system 40 miles from my house, this is something you never really find in the northeast so it was quite the score.

Just need to wire everything in and bolt it up. Slow progress is better than no progress..
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Congrats - that's a rare find around here indeed. And the set looks very clean. Love the work you did with the suspension btw. Built to last! Should be very reliable once the Bostig goes in.

Looking forward to the finished product.
All4Him
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

It's been a while since I updated, things are still moving along. The Zetec is installed but having an issue starting. First start was finally here, checked everything over and all was good. Turned the key and it turned over fine. Didn't start on the first try but did start on the second try and ran for 5 seconds or so and stalled. Went to start it again and all I get is a click, click, click from the starter. The battery was of unknown age and the multimeter reading was 12.2V cold. Figured a new battery may be in order so I picked one up and same issue (click, click click from the starter). Checked the ground wires and everthing still looks clean. The starter is also new (TDI starter). The battery I have is a group 41 with 650cc. Next step is to take the starter out to see if it spins, very close though.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Before cold weather comes to the northeast, I want to get the Syncro painted. I went to 4 different shops in the NH and Mass area and the price range was $7,800 to $12,500 (ouch). So, what did I do?? Haters are going to hate.. but... I used Rustoluem and a foam roller after seeing a friends Ford van he did 7 years ago and still holding up fine. Quite a few articles of folks doing this and the vehicles are holding up fine years later. The trick is the prep work and taking your time

$53.00 in supplies and a few hard weeks of my time.

I started by sanding the entire van to rough up the existing paint, not real rust to speak and what little rust there was I took care of both inside and outside with rust converter and POR15 The undercarriage has been all ground down and covered with POR15 as well along with all suspension parts after sandblast.

3 coats of oil based enamel primer and wet sanded between each coat. I just finished my 8th coat of base yesterday morning and must say it came out very nice. The first two coats of base I wet sanded in between with 800 grit, took the most of it off each time, the next two coats I wet sanded with 1000 grit between each coat the next two with 1500 grit between each coat and finally the last two with 2000 grit but for the last coat I have not sanded yet. Going to let sit for a few weeks to completely harden and then sand with a 2000 grit and then wax and buff.

I mixed both the primer and the base with mineral spirits so it has almost a milk consistency (50 / 50) and ends up drying quicker than not. Rolling it on with a 4" foam roller was time consuming but if you're careful and take your time, the lines are non existent. My original color was the Metalic Silver and after a few test coats with different colors, I went with a lighter silver so the door jams almost match. All in all my shoulders, arms, and whole body ache from weeks of sanding and painting, but the end result of saving $9,947 was well worth it.

Here is stage 1, after removing 80% of the seam sealer and replacing with a quality 3M product, sanding and sand and sanding.

Stage two was the primer, lots of sanding in between each coat of the primer.

Not the finished product, but this is at the 6th coat and not wet sanded yet. Since this picture I've wet sanded two more times and added three more coats. I'll be putting the Monstaliner rock guard (black) on the bottom.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Ahoy,

Been following this thread for a long time, good stuff!!!

So, you mention that you had a Metallic Silver. Care to say which one it was?

You mention you went to a Lighter Silver (Rustolium?) Care to say the exact name of the paint color/type?

Kind regards,

-Bobby
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

The original color was Flash Silver Metallic (LP7Y), I tried 3 different silvers before I went with Aluminum. The Aluminum looks more like a light silver, the others I tried were a bit too dark. I also used a white(ish) primer first.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Atadloco,

That is great! My Westy is LP7Y as well, Iv'e been looking for a LONG while now what to do, as the made-to-order LP7Y is pricey even for the small spray-paint size! I think there is a little kit on Amazon once in a while that has a small can of paint, and a clear coat, like $50 Sad And I think something like $350 for a gallon.

Thanks for the heads up on the Aluminum color. I was wondering if you'd had the notion to put a clear coat over that? I experimented with a few mixing techniques, two cans at once, etc, and then a clear coat... It was (still is actually) pretty awful.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Saw your van on IG! Great to see it closer to completion!

I've got similar Syncro projects happening....it's a slippery slope!
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Tis the season for Syncro gifts. Saved a metric f@@k ton of money on shipping with Rocky Mountain Westy's free shipping during Thanksgiving. Bumpers, tire carrier, bull bar, headlight adjusters, and some front window stuff with all free shipping.

The bumpers and tire carrier are built very well, had the bumpers on my last Westy and loved them. Never needed a tire carrier, but this one went on very easy with the detailed instructions on their web site. Next up is a bunch of little stuff I've been putting off. Rebuilding the power window motors, fixing the wiper motor, hooking up the scan gauge and so on...

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Love the colors. Looks cool.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

After 2 1/2 years taking up half my garage, the Syncro finally took a trip down the road, around the block and even to another town. Nothing fell off, didn't overheat and overall went very well. Need to get used to driving a Bostig, coming from a Subie 2.5 it's a bit different.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Congratulations!
Looking really good.
You'll get used to the Zetec, don't be afraid to let the RPMs rip, it can handle it.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
elnatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Looking great! Where are you at in NH? I'm just across the border to the east near Little Ossipee.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

elnatron wrote:
Looking great! Where are you at in NH? I'm just across the border to the east near Little Ossipee.

You're in a beautiful area. I'm in Mont Vernon, kind of southern NH but closer to the Monadnock region.
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Atadloco,

I would love to hear your "pros/cons" list of EJ25 vs Zetec drivability. Lot's of people have opinions, yet haven't had the chance to actually install and drive both. Your real world experience would be helpful. Especially in a Syncro.

PS are you on the Bostig FB group as well?

Eddie Cool

Dude, where's your van?
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The yet to be named 87 Syncro build (or TYTBN) Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
Atadloco,

I would love to hear your "pros/cons" list of EJ25 vs Zetec drivability. Lot's of people have opinions, yet haven't had the chance to actually install and drive both. Your real world experience would be helpful. Especially in a Syncro.

PS are you on the Bostig FB group as well?

Eddie Cool

No problem. I really can't offer much right now, I only have about 25 miles on the Bostig, still have a bit more to do with the electrical to make it truly road worthy. Hope to take it on an overnight Saco trip the end of January, so the trip up to Maine will be a good shake down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: