Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disassembly of rear roof pantograph brackets
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
batgins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Disassembly of rear roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

Hi everybody!! Can you help me how to disassembly roof pantograph brackets? and how to remove the pins without ruining them..or at least where I can find the spare pins ..thank you so much
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: disassembly roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

You will have to ruin those by either drilling them out or grinding the heads off and punching them out. You would have to replace them with bolts or new steel rivets. Bolts would be the easiest.
batgins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: disassembly roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

thanks..I thought maybe bolts nuts interfere with canvas..
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: disassembly roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

Well, I don't own a westy so that's a valid concern. You can peen over steel replacement rivets but it may be tough without the proper tooling and may create a binding hinge.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: disassembly roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

May I ask... why do you want to take them apart?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: disassembly roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
May I ask... why do you want to take them apart?

Ditto.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
batgins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembly of rear roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

because of i am restoring my vanagon..Smile

I'm a bit undecided whether to disassemble it or not .. because you can see little when it is mounted .. sorry for the bad English
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembly of rear roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

You're doing a beautiful job of it - but I would be inclined to leave those parts 'as is'.

They look pretty good now (just the usual discoloration) but it could be very hard to get the 'tight but not too tight' fit of the originals.
batgins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembly of rear roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

I'm very undecided too .. but all the other pieces I have already dust painted them and I wouldnt' be beautiful if you could see this ugly piece
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembly of rear roof pantograph brackets Reply with quote

Could they be dipped and nickel-plated as is? A little use may break through any gumming up of the plating at pivot points.

-Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: