Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

Well, being the noob that I am, I have no idea of I did it right but I counted ~5.75:1.

I wasn't able to rotate the selector shaft but I was able to pull it out. I'm not sure how much force is required to rotate it but pliers didn't help. When I put the nose cone back on I made sure all the selector keys were the same height (so it should have been in neutral, right).

I also measured the bellhousing from the base to the starter flange and it measured 3 1/4" which should mean I have a 091 bellhousing and therefore a larger 228mm flywheel and the longer starter, correct?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Shane - the case on an 091 is better than the 002. If your 002 works then you can sell it after you find an 091. The best place to have a 091 rebuilt is Eric at Transworks in El Cajon CA, down near AeroMech. That comes from Rick Long when he retired. 091 come up for sale all the time - you just won't know what condition they are in until you either run it or someone like Eric takes it apart. There is one in Elverta in CL right now. Offer the guy $450 and see if he will take that or $100 more since he can't guarantee it works. Lots of sandrail folks buy them. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/d/vw-busrib-transmission/6631355808.html

I saw that ad, it looks like it's already dropped $50.

Is this the same place? The website says prices haven't been updated since 2007 and it lists the rebuild price of $400 which seems ridiculously cheap.

http://www.transworks.biz/rebuilt.html
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

I wasn't able to rotate the selector shaft but I was able to pull it out.
In the Neutral position you should be able to rotate the shaft without too much effort. You may need vise grips to hold the shift lever.
Make sure you can rotate it before you put the tranny in.

When I put the nose cone back on I made sure all the selector keys were the same height (so it should have been in neutral, right).
That would be Neutral.

I also measured the bellhousing from the base to the starter flange and it measured 3 1/4" which should mean I have a 091 bellhousing and therefore a larger 228mm flywheel and the longer starter, correct?
Should be. But measure the clutch disc to be sure.
This is a 200mm disc
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I wasn't able to rotate the selector shaft but I was able to pull it out.
In the Neutral position you should be able to rotate the shaft without too much effort. You may need vise grips to hold the shift lever.
Make sure you can rotate it before you put the tranny in.

When I put the nose cone back on I made sure all the selector keys were the same height (so it should have been in neutral, right).
That would be Neutral.

Should be. But measure the clutch disc to be sure.
This is a 200mm disc

When I put the nose cone on I inserted the hockey stick into the ball joint.

I measured the clutch disc and it measured 228mm.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

If the input shaft is the correct length. Your good to go.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

I measured 26mm.

So what does all this mean?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I measured 26mm.

28-26 I don't think 2mm is going to make a difference.

This means the 091 Bell housing and input shaft where installed on the 002 trans to run on the Type IV engine.

Other than your questionable gearing. Which may not be a factor if you run around town most of the time. The transmission will bolt right up to your Type IV motor.

GD
Tcash
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
I measured 26mm.

28-26 I don't think 2mm is going to make a difference.

This means the 091 Bell housing and input shaft where installed on the 002 trans to run on the Type IV engine.

Other than your questionable gearing. Which may not be a factor if you run around town most of the time. The transmission will bolt right up to your Type IV motor.

GD
Tcash

Most of my driving is freeway.

Should I check the trans in another gear to see if maybe I wasn't measuring it in fourth correctly?

I would hate to waste money on a transmission if it's not going yield me any gains other than a stronger case (at least for now anyway).
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

Throw it in and try it?
Good luck
Tcash
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Throw it in and try it?
Good luck
Tcash

Try what? My transmission is good and was working great before I dropped the engine. I'm just trying to make everything right and do this engine drop once. Dropping the engine and trans is not a trivial thing for me so I prefer to take care of everything now.

The question/issue is whether or not my transmission is really a 091 gearing inside of a 002 housing. A 091 transmission inside of an 002 housing, while not as strong, would not be a deal breaker for me. However, if I'm not getting any benefit from having an 002 transmission then I'd rather get it replaced when a 091.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

It doesn't look like an 091 carrier installed on an 002 main case, but measuring the thickness of this flange will tell you. The 091 is 10mm thicker than the 002 to accommodate wider 3rd & 4th gears. (Someone else needs to supply dimensions, as I'm far from any cores.)

Even if it's 002, this doesn't mean it hasn't been rebuilt with an 002-style 4.57 R&P. At least half the transaxles floating around have been rebuilt at least once.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

gears wrote:
It doesn't look like an 091 carrier installed on an 002 main case, but measuring the thickness of this flange will tell you. The 091 is 10mm thicker than the 002 to accommodate wider 3rd & 4th gears. (Someone else needs to supply dimensions, as I'm far from any cores.)

Even if it's 002, this doesn't mean it hasn't been rebuilt with an 002-style 4.57 R&P. At least half the transaxles floating around have been rebuilt at least once.

Thanks. I'm going to assume its not since that part of the transmission has an 002 part #.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

So my refurbished, new to me, 091 came in today! I had a core I got from bustedbus sent to transworks in el Cajon and they were able to get it back to me in a week!

I had to add the nose cone yoke and a throw out bearing. Besides those items is there anything else I should look at and inspect before I install it? What oil should I use and what is the recommended break in procedure (I guess I could call transworks).

Since this will be the first time I've ever installed a transmission, are there any tips or issues I need to be aware of?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

Looks spiffy!, sand the paint off the starter pad while it's easy to get at, spiff doesn't conduct electricity all that well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

Rick Long said Eris is as good as it gets on the west coast for bus transmission rebuilds. Enjoy.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

Hell, I’m even excited and I have no idea why..... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

Just for the record, RTV can be used on both sides of the steel thrust plate. I have done it before, and I am about to do the same thing on the 002 in my 68 single cab.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Looks spiffy!, sand the paint off the starter pad while it's easy to get at, spiff doesn't conduct electricity all that well.

I recommend Transworks and Eric is a great guy but he paints the starter pads. I called him about it and he thought I was nuts. He also says GL-5 is fine. I removed the starter pad paint anyway. Then applied conductive grease to it before installing the starter.

Grease

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

GL5 is fine if he isn't using the moly coated synchros. VW has both moly coated, and the lesser expensive plain brass synchros. You'd have to ask Eric what he used before using GL5 or a synthetic.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

I'm looking at the Bentley, page 6-12 figure 4-1 and it shows rubber stops on the bonded rubber yoke. I know my old transmission didn't have these so I'm trying to source some.

Does anyone have a part number for them or a source?

Also, my limited stop (item 13 on the page) doesn't have grooves like I'm the picture, is that a big deal? Mine is a just a thick piece of rectangular metal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: