Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

528\2 1500 Super engine value
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delawareR32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

hello folks.. I am new to the forum, so first thing is hello! I am looking for some opinions/help on what the value of a engine is that I have in storage. It was a good running motor when it was purchased.. It has been stored in a dry building for +45 years, but and was removed before that ... not 100% sure I want to part with it, but it was for a project that hasn't happened. I am still working my way through stuff, to get it out and ready for sale.. What I do know is it is a 528/2, 1500 Super... the serial falls in the '55 batch, it still sits as original as it was when stored with the Hirth crank still in. I don't see any complete engines online, or a lot of them out there and even less info on what they are worth. although I did maybe get an idea. My thought is to get out, inspect, lub, fire it up... or send it out to a yet to be determined shop, have it gone through, documented and cleaned up. Then put it up for auction on ebay. I also have an early 356A 519 gearbox that I thing is in good shape also store for 45-50years. unrestored, needs new boots and a little cleaning but looks pretty good. I have an idea what I think its worth but opinions on that are also welcome. Thanks in advance for you input
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I have a couple of questions. 1. Was the engine run on any sort of a regular basis while it was stored, or has it just sat for 45 years? 2. This is just my own personal bias, but I would not want a Hirth roller crank in my engine. I have had many 356 mechanics whose opinions I trust tell me that a plain bearing crank (which Porsche subsequently used) is a much better way to go. An excellent source of advise on the 356 forum is Jack Staggs--I hope he sees your post and comments on it. Maybe he is not anti roller crank--to be fair there aren't very many Hirths around anymore but if anyone knows the ins and outs of these engines, he does. Good luck!
delawareR32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, It has not been run, its been sitting unused... I realize that the Hirth is only going to be for those select few(racing) because of the oiling, but if I'm not mistaking this this could also be swapped out with the standard crank fairly easy.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

Sounds like the engine should be gone over. I would definitely replace the roller crank with a plain bearing unit. I hope the engine isn't locked up from sitting so long. Again, best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some photos. There's some value in the case since it's a 528/2 and Porsche only produced a few hundred of these engines for 1 year. But a lot of the value in Porsche engines is the correct ancillaries and of course a correct rebuild. If it turns over by hand with the plugs out, then that's great. If not...
delawareR32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

I dug it out and hasn't been tested, complete execpt it is still missing just one piece of tin for transaxle side. still looking

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
20151015_165220 by jwood2673, on Flickr

20151016_152955 by jwood2673, on Flickr

Last edited by delawareR32 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:09 am; edited 2 times in total
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

Engine looks great! Looks completely original except for the fuel pump and the voltage regulator which have both been replaced with later versions. Very nice. Worth quite a bit I suspect. Certainly 5 figures or more.

Would love to see some more photos of the details of the carbs and the Fram oil filter canister (stickers and oil line fittings especially). Also the rubber bits holding the balance tube onto the carb manifolds. Thanks for sharing!
delawareR32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

i think everything is actually correct, but we didn't get this engine until the mid 60's so i could be wrong... I'm sorry the only other pic i have right now is the fram sticker on top. I am currently resting a bad back, but as soon as i can, I will take more photos. I have to finish up and sell a car to make room to go go through this motor. plan is to reove the sump verify the Hirth crank is still in there, scope the bores, document everthing and fire it up...then do leak down and compression tests so i have a better idea of what i will be selling. Thanks for your input..

20151015_180128 by jwood2673, on Flickr
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

delawareR32: Please check your pm-box.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

I too am curious about the verdict here. I have an April 55 528/2 1500 motor that runs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra photo if the canister. I have a 546/2 engine from the exact same time period as this 528/2, and all the details are very similar, including the very short use of the P-xxxxx* format of the engine number. Earlier engines used P-xxxxx and later engines in '55 used P*xxxxx*.

Interesting that your canister has Fram Merz-Werk stickers on it, as it appears to be a DFG Fram canister. Background: Fram is a US company (Rhode Island) that licensed two German companies to make canisters that took the Fram filter elements. Both Merz-Werk and Deutch Filter Ges. made canisters for Fram and were provided on Porsche engines from the factory starting intermittently in 1953, and then consistently from '54 onward. Most of the canisters I've seen in '55 were the Merz-Werk ones with a convoluted lid. Yours has a smooth lid, which was characteristic of the DFG ones. Yet it has Merz-Werk stickers on top, which makes me think the Porsche engine guy just grabbed a canister and grabbed a sticker without regard. Both must have been on the shelves at the same time. I would be interested to find out if the lower sticker on the orange part of the canister has DFG or Merz-Werk. =)
delawareR32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

I have read in other situations there seems to be a lot of the used what was closest at the time... I'm not near the engine, but will take a look at the lower sticker asap, I don't recall. interesting P-xxxxx*
delawareR32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

20160111_165755 by jwood2673, on Flickr
Rolandducommun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

hello, guys some body can answer me about the deep stick
some 528 have the deep stick hanging on the shroud . why? and how to check the oil?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

Jack Staggs
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

Deep stick?
356pre-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

prolly dipstick
Richard Roth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 528\2 1500 Super engine value Reply with quote

Because the sender for the oil temp. gauge goes in the dipstick hole.
So they store the actual dipstick on the oil filter bracket.
You just pull out the sender and use the original dipstick to check the oil.

1966 Empi GTV MKIV
1954 Kabriolett Beetle
1953 Porsche 356 1500S
1957 Cable brake standard model
1962 cable brake standard model
1956 23 window Samba
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Corvair Greenbrier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: