Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

I just installed a SONY XAV-AX100 head unit (see that thread here) and a Kenwood KAC-M3004 amplifier so the next step was speakers.

I am a fan of the Kenwood KFC Pro series components although the 6.5" KFC-P710PS was nearly a 1/4" deeper than a few comparable 6.5" speakers such as the Fosgate and a few other yet Crutchfield said they fit (even with the factory grills) so I went for it and sure as sh!t, they were right, with about 1mm to spare. I used the adapters that came with the speakers which were about .25" thick stacked with a set of Scosche SAC656 speaker adapters.

Install was straight forward:

Pop off factory grill ( be careful not to break the retaining tabs)

Unscrew and remove speaker

Cut the factory connector off and splice on tradition speaker spade connectors

Cut the protruding tabs off of the door's speaker mounting surface

Cut all excess plastic off the speaker adapter plates

Stack up adapters and screw it in with factory screws (I installed the schoshe spacer, then the kenwood adapter because the kenwood was a bit smaller diameter and less interference with the factory grill. Also had to file a new locating slot in the door card so I could slightly rotate the factor speaker grill because one of the tabs was lined up with one of the speaker screws.

Replace stock speaker grill

Here's a few pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I haven't installed the tweeters yet since there are some form of mid/tweet in the dash. I'll have to look a bit closer to see what's going on there.

These Kenwood drivers don't have as much mids/highs as the factory speaker although they are tighter and can handle more power without breaking up or farting like the stock speakers.

So next is to figure out what to do with the tweeters and then put some fosgate 4" R14x2 in the rear which takes a fair amount of customizing to the rear speaker housings.

Last edited by markcm2 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

Very nice install. I should've waited for those rather than install the Pioneers that buzz way too much. I still need to install an amp and filter the feed to the dash speakers so they just function as tweeters--they also buzz.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

There is a seller on eBay selling the kenwood kac-m3004 "open box" for $45 shipped. These are amazing and compact. Mine came without the 8pin connector although you can buy one on eBay for a few dollars; just get a generic molex, not the kenwood branded. I can help with part number and pin out if anyone needs it.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

I got around to installing the tweeters that came as part of this Kenwood component kit. I installed them in the dash in place of the stock tweeters and they are much brighter than the stock tweeters.

Here's the how to:

*Gently pry the grill off using a screwdriver
*Pry the speaker chassis out using a screwdriver
*Unplug speaker connectors

*Remove stock tweeter

*Drill out the frame (I think it was 1-7/8") and I had to cut the flange of the tweeter off flush:

*A little hot glue to secure it in place:

*I un-soldered the stock capacitor and connected the Kenwood crossover harness to the poles:

*Put it all back together using the factory plugs/harness
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

Rear speaker replacement is documented here
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

Nice write-up. Love the pics for future reference. Thank you!

Interesting to see that the tweeter seems to fire at the pillar, whereas I would expect it to be directed toward the middle of the van. I wonder if there is a reason for this orientation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

mkscott2 wrote:
Nice write-up. Love the pics for future reference. Thank you!

Interesting to see that the tweeter seems to fire at the pillar, whereas I would expect it to be directed toward the middle of the van. I wonder if there is a reason for this orientation.

Although the stock bracket is angled toward the A-pillar, these Kenwood tweeters do have adjustable direction if desired. I noticed this as well and tried a few different angles but didn't really notice a difference; they are very bright in all directions.
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

@markcm2 Great details on the speaker upgrade process. Thanks!

Just curious where you saw the most lift. Not sure I have the energy to replace everything right now. What changes (front, rear, tweeters) did you feel made the most difference?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

jakefromstatefarm wrote:
@markcm2 Great details on the speaker upgrade process. Thanks!

Just curious where you saw the most lift. Not sure I have the energy to replace everything right now. What changes (front, rear, tweeters) did you feel made the most difference?

During my first installation, I used a wiring harness from a computer for the amplifier (it was all I had available at the moment) although it was the correct connector it had tiny gauge wire, probably 24ga or smaller. Once I finally got around to replacing this with standard speaker wire it really opened up the performance and things evened out.

All of this was really easy, considering I did it from scratch... Now that this information is all available I'd recommend doing the door speakers and an amp at minimum. I personally could have left well alone with the dash tweeters and probably would have been just as happy.

The rear speakers are really only for rear passengers or if you're hanging out in the rear; I cannot hear them blended in when I'm sitting in the front. Mine were blown so I replaced them.
bgrimes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

Has anyone attempted to remove the black plastic basket from behind the front door speakers? I can’t determine how it’s attached and would like to get behind it so I can install some Dynamat. Any help greatly appreciated.

And forgive me, but this is my first post. I've lurked for a little while now and gotten some great advice on our 2002 Weekender. We love our van and look forward to improving it with the help of Samda. Cheers.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

bgrimes wrote:
Has anyone attempted to remove the black plastic basket from behind the front door speakers? I can’t determine how it’s attached and would like to get behind it so I can install some Dynamat. Any help greatly appreciated.

And forgive me, but this is my first post. I've lurked for a little while now and gotten some great advice on our 2002 Weekender. We love our van and look forward to improving it with the help of Samda. Cheers.

The whole door panel comes off pretty easily. Do a search for the full process but essentially the cap of the interior handle pry's off revealing screws, then just a few more screws around the panel. I believe you lift up to release the panel from the door.
bgrimes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply markcm2. I’m actually referring to something that’s in the plastic door panel itself and accessible if you pop out the speaker. There are three long black screws that come out of this basket, but after that it still won’t budge.

Here is an image of the part in question: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0fzle0dn20c4k3/IMG_1925.JPG?dl=0
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

bgrimes wrote:
Thanks for the reply markcm2. I’m actually referring to something that’s in the plastic door panel itself and accessible if you pop out the speaker. There are three long black screws that come out of this basket, but after that it still won’t budge.

Here is an image of the part in question: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0fzle0dn20c4k3/IMG_1925.JPG?dl=0

I don't know if the basket comes out but... the whole door panel only takes a moment to remove...
chetg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

Fantastic photos, markcm2. I basically replicated your install completely, from the XAV-AX100 thread to the tweeter and speaker install. Invaluable photos! I also added a 10" sub box which adds a lot to the bottom end.

I excessively Dynamatted my front doors because I really detest rattles, and while all is good, I am missing a lot of mid bass response from the door woofers. Next step is to add mass-loaded vinyl throughout the van floor to cut road noise. Thanks again for your fantastic photos.

Interestingly, we're in Bellingham for the summer as well, with another White (non-camper) T4 van. I'll look for you on the roads.
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

If anyone has spare (or knows of other options) Tweeter covers for a 1995 Eurovan, please PM me. CarToys did an install and broke them when removing the covers. Not entirely unexpected outcome from them either. 😬🙄
Steve in Colorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread! I went with Polk DB Plus 6.5”. The door speakers fit directly without an adapter, after cutting off the projecting tabs etc on the door holder.

I hot glued in the Polk supplied tweeter holders, notched to fit, after using a 1 7/8” bit to cut out the holes in OEM tweeter holder. Not knowing any better, I connected the tweeters directly to the original leads, so including the capacitors, instead of using a separate crossover. Feel free to tell me if I’ve done something stoopid.

Sounds pretty good with the Kenwood KMM-BT328U receiver I previously installed. The speakers could take some more power, though, so I may investigate the recommended Kenwood mini amp.

Anyhoo, thanks again markcm2!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: