Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Now were talking. Sweet shots of the goodies Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Just keep posting photos of this bus so we can all drool over it...
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Okay, last photo post. Just some leftover interesting bits and oddities, and some questions I still have about this bus.

Possibly a "rare" part? Headrest delete plug, part# 211.881.863:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A peek behind the front kick panels:

Behind a door card, showing uncut original vapor barrier:

Here's what remained of the original front seat horsehair padding! The rest was crumbled onto the seat pedestals.

Interesting there's two tow hooks, my other buses only had one?

Some shots of the BA6 heater, belly pan removed, which I have yet to remove and inspect for reliable use. You may also notice what I'd consider a very well applied, durable, and effective undercoating:

Questions. What's this cleat for? It's too high for the stool straps to loop through.

I don't know how to date old tires. No way its possible these are originals, 43 years old and still holding air? (Yes I know they're not safe either way!) They are Michelin XZX 185 SR 14 "Made in W. Germany".

btripp noted that the refrigerator is unlike the model in his federal orange 75' We're thinking it may a Euro or Canada spec. Anyone have this one? It has just one combination on/off/thermostat knob inside.

Anyway, I'd like to thank you all for reading, commenting, and enjoying this unique survivor I'm just lucky to have. Like I said, please let me know if you can offer any insights, have any questions, or would like to see anything else.
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Try sitting your dash table on those cleats on the side of the fridge and sink cabinets Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Quote:

Interesting. I had never seen the polystyrene foam panel there. I now understand the few remaining bits of it behind my kick panels. Actually on the floor, as there weren't any remains still attached to the chassis after all these years.

What was the function of the polystyrene there? Sound dampening? Insulation?

Also, looking at the one-way screw terminal block behind the headlight bucket, it would seem a PO did a modification there perhaps?

Decode your M-Plate
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Interesting. I had never seen the polystyrene foam panel there. I now understand the few remaining bits of it behind my kick panels. Actually on the floor, as there weren't any remains still attached to the chassis after all these years.

What was the function of the polystyrene there? Sound dampening? Insulation?

Also, looking at the one-way screw terminal block behind the headlight bucket, it would seem a PO did a modification there perhaps?

Yea, that foam is actually glued on there, and obviously before the dash is installed because you'd never get it out in one piece without removing everything first. It's for sound and insulation, but they used the styrofoam rather than fiberglass to minimize moisture.

I don't know if the headlight mod was a PO, factory, or dealer upgrade, but it's for the H4 headlights which I suspect were installed when the bus was in Germany in 1975, since they were legal and available in Europe.
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Perhaps that wire is for the city lights?

I keep looking at that picture and comparing it to the one I took from my bus a while ago, same angle.

Another thing I noticed is that below the windshield washer fluid reservoir, on its bracket, there is what seems to be an 8-way connector. I don't have it on my bus, and I can't find it in the wiring diagrams either. The only such connector listed there is T8, behind the dash. I wonder what yours is, as it would seem to be original.

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bus-76.jpg
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bus-76-key-1.jpg
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bus-76-key-2.jpg

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Perhaps that wire is for the city lights?

I keep looking at that picture and comparing it to the one I took from my bus a while ago, same angle.

Another thing I noticed is that below the windshield washer fluid reservoir, on its bracket, there is what seems to be an 8-way connector. I don't have it on my bus, and I can't find it in the wiring diagrams either. The only such connector listed there is T8, behind the dash. I wonder what yours is, as it would seem to be original.

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bus-76.jpg
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bus-76-key-1.jpg
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bus-76-key-2.jpg

That's the harness for the belly mounted BA-6 heater.
The wires into the headlight buckets do look like city lights, although VW didn't do it since it's stuffed through a hole drilled in the back of the bucket, is there even a grommet on there? Factory ones had the wire in the harness, that one looks like they pulled the wire off the back of the signal and rerouted it to the headlight.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jareb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

I've been a member here for 11 years and have never made a post. I just lurk, read and learn. This bus is worthy of my first post. All I can say is "Wow, just Wow"!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Is that178 date code

Week 1 , 1978 ?
sunny74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

That is really something special. Awesome!
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
Possibly a "rare" part? Headrest delete plug, part# 211.881.863:

These are common on Transporters. All middle and rear seats in the back had them unless headrests were installed from the factory or dealer. Yours might have been installed to "delete" the headrests in the front since there's so much Euro spec stuff on the bus

60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Yes, I also get first week 1978 on the tires...

My 1973 bus has most of the styrofoam front clip panel...

The headrest plugs seem more common than the actual set of headrests. I went to the trouble of collecting a complete (7) set of headrests for mine out of the junkyard.

This whole thread has been a real treat!
911GT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Just... wow. A time capsule indeed.

Get that thing back into a garage or something, now! Do not let it sit outside in the sun and rain and treesap. Ideally, this would be in a museum, or a VW showroom, or something. It should be preserved.

I agree with the sentiment that you are the current caretaker, or custodian, of this rare piece. That's how I feel about my buses.

I have a similar radio in the '75 single cab. Mine was spec'd on the M-codes as a Blaupunkt Ingolstadt, and I managed to source one from Germany. It also has the MMMUU buttons.

And... about the low mileage. I wonder how many of these there are. I just sold a 1972 Sportsmobile with 55,000 miles on it, and while it was nice and had a lot of original stuff on it, it was not factory fresh like the one you have there. It sat out in the sun for years, and it shows.

No please don't store it especially not in a museum! Use it like it's intended to. But with respect and keep her Original!
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Exact same layout as my orange 75.
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Yes, I also get first week 1978 on the tires...

Amazing. 40 years and they still hold pressure. Thanks!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

I would be interested to see the Inspection markings.
Assembly Line Paint Markins White stamped Grease pen Markings
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688216&highlight=paint+mark%2A

Popcorn
Tcash
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Thanks for all the engine pics.
I find it interesting that there is a heat dump tube on the right flapper box, but not one on the left.

I did not catch this earlier... Question I thought the heat dump tubes were 1978 only. My 1977 and 1973 do not have them, anyway. My '78 does, so can someone clue me in on this?
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that cleat you inquired about was to secure the Westy stool. Not the between the seats storage box but an actual stool that they came with. Judging by the looks of the bottom of that heater box it appears as though the PO decided to go over a large rock he shouldn’t have. My guess is the heat dump tube got mangled and rather than fix it or replace it he just removed it. You are also missing the uber important bracket-hanger for the rear of the heater box.
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I would be interested to see the Inspection markings.
Assembly Line Paint Markins White stamped Grease pen Markings
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688216&highlight=paint+mark%2A

Popcorn
Tcash

Yea, you saw the ones on the tin, I'll have to take a look behind the wheel for that one. Any others? Isn't there a VIN marking somewhere in the undercarriage?

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: