Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW Okrasa PBIC carb issues & remedies
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: WW Okrasa PBIC carb issues & remedies Reply with quote

I just finished building a 1300cc 36hp stroker with a WW Okrasa kit, WW cam, restored 010 distributor, and a Vintage speed exhaust for a buddy, and I'm still chasing a few issues.

The carbs were sent to Joe Ruiz, and he went through and set them up per the original Solex PCIB's, and they didn't work well at all. I'm not on here talking crap either, just sharing my experience, and looking to see if anyone else has run into these problems.

After breaking in the engine, I started doing the final tuning. It was running super rich, and after messing with it for a bit, and talking to a friend with the same combination, I ended up going back to the jets and venturi's carbs originally came with. Joe bushed the throttle shafts, opened up the fuel inlet for the bigger banjo fittings and 8mm copper fuel line, installed smaller venturi's, 60 idle jets (it came with 50's), 125 main jets (it came with 127.5's). I have no idea with the air corrections were because the numbers were ground off, so I put the original 190's back in, and I still need to put in the original secondary airs back in and check the float level and needle valves.

The right carb runs best with the mixture screw bottomed out, and the left carb I was able to get 1/2 turn out after all of the other changes. It's running fairly well, pulls very well now compared to when I first installed it, but it's still too rich, and I'm still concerned as to why I can't get any turns out on the mixture screws without it dying off.

I didn't see any dripping or pooling on the throttle plates at idle, so I'm hoping the last jet change and float level will remedy this. What are everyone else's experience with this setup?
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa PBIC carb issues & remedies Reply with quote

Did you check the top and bottom of the intake manifolds. I did for a Buddy of mine. They were not flat at all. After I machined them completely flat the carbs adjusted very well. I think I remember other people have posted here about this WW set up. If you search in the Vintage Speed Forum, I think you will find a wealth of info!. Good Luck
'63 OG 117
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa PBIC carb issues & remedies Reply with quote

Robert Chambers wrote:
Did you check the top and bottom of the intake manifolds. I did for a Buddy of mine. They were not flat at all. After I machined them completely flat the carbs adjusted very well. I think I remember other people have posted here about this WW set up. If you search in the Vintage Speed Forum, I think you will find a wealth of info!. Good Luck

I did all of that, so everything is flat. I did finish swapping all of the jets back to what they came with, checked the float level, and it definitely runs a lot better. I don’t have a lot of adjustment out of the mixture screws, but I’m able to get some now. I think I have about 1/2-3/4 of a turn out from being bottomed out.
lovinbronx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa PBIC carb issues & remedies Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
I just finished building a 1300cc 36hp stroker with a WW Okrasa kit, WW cam, restored 010 distributor, and a Vintage speed exhaust for a buddy, and I'm still chasing a few issues.

The carbs were sent to Joe Ruiz, and he went through and set them up per the original Solex PCIB's, and they didn't work well at all. I'm not on here talking crap either, just sharing my experience, and looking to see if anyone else has run into these problems.

After breaking in the engine, I started doing the final tuning. It was running super rich, and after messing with it for a bit, and talking to a friend with the same combination, I ended up going back to the jets and venturi's carbs originally came with. Joe bushed the throttle shafts, opened up the fuel inlet for the bigger banjo fittings and 8mm copper fuel line, installed smaller venturi's, 60 idle jets (it came with 50's), 125 main jets (it came with 127.5's). I have no idea with the air corrections were because the numbers were ground off, so I put the original 190's back in, and I still need to put in the original secondary airs back in and check the float level and needle valves.

The right carb runs best with the mixture screw bottomed out, and the left carb I was able to get 1/2 turn out after all of the other changes. It's running fairly well, pulls very well now compared to when I first installed it, but it's still too rich, and I'm still concerned as to why I can't get any turns out on the mixture screws without it dying off.

I didn't see any dripping or pooling on the throttle plates at idle, so I'm hoping the last jet change and float level will remedy this. What are everyone else's experience with this setup?

Yep having the same issues, jets have been changed carbs rebushed too.still running rich,been advised to change to 36 Weber’s with speedwell manifolds etc.

In hindsight wish I never done the kit got too much $$$ invested now and need to throw more money at it

Dan
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa PBIC carb issues & remedies Reply with quote

lovinbronx wrote:
jays58s wrote:

Yep having the same issues, jets have been changed carbs rebushed too.still running rich,been advised to change to 36 Weber’s with speedwell manifolds etc.

In hindsight wish I never done the kit got too much $$$ invested now and need to throw more money at it

Dan

Exactly, I couldn’t believe what the final cost of this build was. There are some things I could did differently onvtg next build to save someone money, but I’d advise against the carbs for sure. I just scored an original set of solex’s, I just need to stock up on them lol.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa PBIC carb issues & remedies Reply with quote

I would think those little Porsche Solex carbs would be perfect for that engine! Make sure the gas level is not too high in the bowl. You will see gas going in when your rev it looking down the throat of the carb if the float levels are too high. It can cause some snapping and cracking sounds. Venturi's probably 26mm. The 1956 Porsche 356A 1600N was 32mm and the Super 40mm carburetors.
WolfsburgWest.
Porsche 356registry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: