Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans fill plug 70 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

What tool are you guys using to get this off? A shop checked this for me last year and it was topped off. I crawled under the car with the same exact 17mm Allen wrench I use to get the fill plug off my 2002 golf. I just can’t get enough leverage to break it loose . Is this because I was lying under the car or do I need a different tool? Geez. I gave up. Should be full anyway, just checking. No puddles. This is what I was using, and because of the hard fuel line and Bowden tube, I just don’t have the leverage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

I used an allen socket, think it is the same one used to remove the IRS arms. Have no idea about the ease because I filled mine with the body off.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

The fill plug is in one of the worst places considering where it’s located on the body. It’s buried in there behind the fuelline and clutch cable and then the irs arm is below it. The short end is too short to go in front of the irs arm and the long end makes the short side not enough of a lever arm. I was stuck putting the short side in the 17mm nut with the long arm between the ful line and Bowden tube. No good. Probably didn’t help that I was lying under the car with the wheels on the ground.

Last edited by Frodge on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

I use a hex socket, an extension, and ratchet.

No problems.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

get one of these and you can use a ratchet and extension to get leverage to remove the plug.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W80681-Soc...len+socket
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
SubbinNCali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I use a hex socket, an extension, and ratchet.

No problems.

Tim

x2
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

Great! Thanks a lot folks. That black junk is hard to get off. Is that what they used in the 50s to grease the hair back?

As a side note, I never tighten those things that much when I do it myself. I think this is the first time I ever just put the tools away, and said eff it for now.

Last edited by Frodge on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
What tool are you guys using to get this off? A shop checked this for me last year and it was topped off. I crawled under the car with the same exact 17mm Allen wrench I use to get the fill plug off my 2002 golf. I just can’t get enough leverage to break it loose . Is this because I was lying under the car or do I need a different tool? Geez. I gave up. Should be full anyway, just checking. No puddles. This is what I was using, and because of the hard fuel line and Bowden tube, I just don’t have the leverage.

I'll tell you what I do.

I use the SAME 17mm allen wrench as you have. I clean out the recess in the plug of dirt and debris. But THEN I stick a 17mm BOX WRENCH over the LONG END of the allen wrench, insert the LONG END into the fill plug recess, and then turn the 17mm box wrench to get leverage as you hold the allen wrench parallel to the plug (the box wrench should be pretty close to the fill plug, like 1 inch away from it, before the pan "tube"). If you need more leverage - and this should not be tightened to that extent - slip a piece of pipe or grab end of box wrench with ViseGrips or something for more leverage. This never fails for me.

Note that I DO have a 17mm allen socket, 3/8inch drive, but I never seem to use that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

And this is why it is recommended you remove the fill plug before the drain plug. Think you dodged a bullet, no down time.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
And this is why it is recommended you remove the fill plug before the drain plug. Think you dodged a bullet, no down time.
I know not to do that from a long time ago. I sprayed it with kroil for the next time I try.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

It doesn’t help lying on the floor with the car on the ground and squeezing under there.🤢

That may work Cusser! Have to see if I have a 17mm box end. I don’t think I do. What does one do if you still can’t budge it? I can’t see how this would be the case. I was standing right behind the guy that checked it last time and he didn’t use any excessive force or anything. Never had this problem on my other car. I think I’ll try that socket with a long extension.

I also just read a couple threads. Probably would’ve helped if I had warmed the car up, it seems heat allows it to come out easier.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
It doesn’t help lying on the floor with the car on the ground and squeezing under there.🤢

That may work Cusser! Have to see if I have a 17mm box end. I don’t think I do. What does one do if you still can’t budge it? I can’t see how this would be the case.

Well, you need a 17mm box or combination wrench to get the two lower engine mount nuts off. Maybe a 17mm "gear" box wrench will work, don't know what torque those can take though.

I'd think a 1 to 1.5 foot piece of thick steel pipe over the end of the 17mm box wrench will loosen anything !!! Just bigger chance of a 17mm open-end wrench or adjustable wrench slipping, just saying.

I've been using the same metric combination wrenches from JC Penney for 4.5 decades now !!! Very useful.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser! I just stopped when I knew I was getting nowhere with what I had at that time. I know if you keep going you wind up rounding it off, which I didn’t do it all. So I’ll try again once I decide what to do. Definitely need more leverage. I didn’t want to crack the fuel filter that is relocated there either.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

If you have the 17mm allen already, just cut a chunk off the long end and insert it in a 17mm socket. Then you can just use a normal ratchet/breaker bar to break it loose.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trans fill plug 70 bug Reply with quote

They sell 11/16 brass hex sockets at Home Depot. A brass hex socket looks like a regular nut that would go on a bolt, but it is four times as long.

What I do is stick that nut into my short 17mm socket and I have a tool to remove the allen at a fraction of the cost.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: