Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 SO23 Westy - New project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

The plastic cover on the generator? Is it NOS too? Laughing I didn't think VW used them until the 70's? Wink I've also understood that many people believe they shouldn't be used as the covers restrict cooling air from getting inside the generator.

On a serious note, the engine looks fantastic. Running the restored carb, fuel pump and distributor make it look so correct. I'm sure it will run amazing as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

Looking good Jon! I'm loving the patina touches. Hope the rest of the bus buffs out. I guess I'll know in a couple weeks when I get to see it in person for the first time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

So fun to watch Jon!

Grommet for the preheat hose. WW was out, aw shucks, gotta use NOS...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WW has their picture + description right... but, I’ll let them know they have a couple flip-flopped part numbers to fix.

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

very nice work Jon.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

Wouldn't a '60 40hp run the ignition wire holders that the wires pass through?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

And also this oil filler baffle? I genuinely thought that my '61 40 hp would use this baffle, so if I am wrong about that, it would be good to know.

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

I think the wire tube ended with the 36hp

doveblue3 wrote:
And also this oil filler baffle? I genuinely thought that my '61 40 hp would use this baffle, so if I am wrong about that, it would be good to know.

Those are aftermarket add-on's
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

The oil tube type 40hp baffle is a real VW item and comes in short and tall versions. There are a few good threads about them.

The case that this engine was built on is a D case, big bore 83's, "hot rod" cam. The case has a lot of later features, like 8mm oil pump studs, large oil passages, dual relief, "D" cut out for the generator pedestal (hence the baffle I used), cam bearings, and yet still has the 40hp cylinder size bore.

Test ran the engine today (Neil... Shame on you ), and aside from the oil pump cover leaking (which really pi$$es me off), everything sounded good, had good oil pressure, no other leaks, so aside from the oil pump leak issue, waiting on the WW parts order to arrive, and some final assembly, and some "disassembly" so it fits in Neils car for transport, it's good to go.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
crofty wrote:

I think the wire tube ended with the 36hp

doveblue3 wrote:

Those are aftermarket add-on's

Yep, I think 60 36hp type 1 didn't use the tube either, but they went to those big rubber plugs, three of them. I see Jon is using the smaller hard plastic holders, I guess that's an early 40hp thing but I'm pretty sure bastard 40 used the big rubber plug wire holders.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

I had some original white plastic wire holders, but they would not stay secured in the fan shroud holes. So I used some black clips I had.
I think the ones that Sean is talking about are the ones seen here (pic from gallery, Mats W):

I don't know where to get those, and if it's something that Neil just has to have, that can be on his shopping list for the future. I have been told repeatedly that this is not a show motor, it's a go motor.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

That motor is beautiful! Nice work!

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
...this is not a show motor, it's a go motor.

Words to live by. And the level of quality is kind of showy, so maybe you're killing two birds with one stone, or killing one and wounding the other...whatever, looking great, Jon!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

You engine looks like a candy coated lollypop waiting to be licked. Does the stale air heat have more air pressure than the fresh air heat? Is it hotter since you get to use cylinder heat plus that front exhaust surround?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

Yes, those are the ones. I had originally wanted to run those on my hot rod 40 for my 62 but just went 1600.

This should be them

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113905451

hazetguy wrote:
I had some original white plastic wire holders, but they would not stay secured in the fan shroud holes. So I used some black clips I had.
I think the ones that Sean is talking about are the ones seen here (pic from gallery, Mats W):

I don't know where to get those, and if it's something that Neil just has to have, that can be on his shopping list for the future. I have been told repeatedly that this is not a show motor, it's a go motor.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

Words to live by. And the level of quality is kind of showy, so maybe you're killing two birds with one stone, or killing one and wounding the other...whatever, looking great, Jon!

"Kind of"? LOL
Jon doesn't f around. If he was closer id have him do my spindles or anything else I cant do on my own. His work is always top notch.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

"Kind of"? LOL
Jon doesn't f around. If he was closer id have him do my spindles or anything else I cant do on my own. His work is always top notch.

Trust me, that was sarcasm haha. Over the years, I've never seen or heard anything but the best about Jon's workmanship.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Yes, those are the ones. I had originally wanted to run those on my hot rod 40 for my 62 but just went 1600.
This should be them
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113905451

grrrrrr. I searched for all kinds of terms, but not for 'ignition cable". FFS, who calls them that? Thanks for the link Sean.

Thanks for all the kind words. I couldn't do what I do without the help of other highly skilled people, and good people who sell hard to find parts, and I am totally grateful for their services when I am doing a project.
This was truly a 'go' motor project, and not a full-on 'restoration' like I am used to doing. Of course, I am not totally satisfied with the cosmetic results, but I guess it'll work for a non-"show" vehicle. Smile
I'll post some assembled, "ready for Neil to pick up" pics another time.
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

"Kind of"? LOL

I will vouch for that!
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
I have been told repeatedly that this is not a show motor, it's a go motor.

Hell yeah, this engine should climb any mountain, or at least push a SO23 around most roads without a struggle.
I'll pick the engine up next week, and then the following week, I'll get to see the bus in person for the first time.
This build is going to take a major detour soon, stay tuned to see where in the world it is going.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 SO23 Westy - New project Reply with quote

40hp folks, I'm looking for this vacuum line, in case anyone has one kicking around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: