Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HITE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

So I finally got the bus running about a week ago. Glorious feeling. But now I feel like I got some ripples to iron out.

I took it for a ride today to advanced auto, about 6.5 miles away. Then told my friend who owns mainly split window buses said a type 4 engine should be hauling ass.

Basic cruising speed that I got it to was about 45-48 MPH.
Light uphill she drops down to about 35-40mph (without dropping her down to 3rd gear to pick up speed)
Downhill I get to about 50-55( soft hills )

I want to say the accelerator is about an inch off the floor to keep up the 45MPH cruising speed.

I plan on changing the oil this weekend, and plan on readjusting the valves this Sunday.

I replaced the heads. And gaskets, pushrod tubes, etc. . Still leaking a bit of oil but not a ton.

Any help. Or a check list of things to go through would be awesome.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

Have you ever done a tune up and compression test? When it's idling and you pull each plug wire out of the cap is the drop in RPM the same before you replace it and move on to the next one?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

Maybe compared to a splittie with reduction boxes a Type 4 Bus hauls ass, but by no other reasonable standard would anyone else say it hauls ass Very Happy
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

Tune up

Timing

Put a brick on the Gas pedal and go back and make sure the Throttle is all the way open.

Good luck
Tcash
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Tune up

Timing

Put a brick on the Gas pedal and go back and make sure the Throttle is all the way open.

Good luck
Tcash
With the ignition off I assume? Laughing Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

Type 4 should be easy to cruise at 65 mph, and light hills should not slow it down to less than 55 mph.

Mine was running at the speeds you mention on 2 cylinders with zero compression in #3.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Tune up

Timing

Good luck
Tcash

I had this once.... what a night and day difference once I took the slack out, and full throttle really was....

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

Can we assume the brakes are not sticking?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tune up

Timing

Good luck
Tcash

I had this once.... what a night and day difference once I took the slack out, and full throttle really was....

^do this next^
you may need a new linkage & rod under your gas pedal. They get ovalled
out & the rod goes cock-eyed over the years, wind up with 60% throttle.: (
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tune up

Timing

Good luck
Tcash

If the engine was on, you'd be moving fast to check that throttle cable I'd bet.
Let's try it with the engine off though.
Laughing
Tcash

In High School shop class, this kid was adjusting the idle in drive on a Ford Mustang. Let me paint the picture for you.
Cars in drive parking brake on, kid sitting in the engine bay adjusting idle.
As we always did in those days, he reaches over to blips the throttle to clear the carb.
The car lurches forward stopping inches from the cinder block wall in front of it. He looked at me with eyes bigger than the Owl that couldn't get to the bottom of a Tootsie pop.

Last edited by Tcash on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
HITE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Have you ever done a tune up and compression test? When it's idling and you pull each plug wire out of the cap is the drop in RPM the same before you replace it and move on to the next one?

I replaced the heads. (Both) because I had bad compression on #2. Also replaced the pushrod tubes. I can re-check compression. But before I replaced the heads the bus wasn’t getting above 20mph. Would barely make it up a hill. Hopefully that’s not an issue. Confused
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

When you are setting the timing, keep your timing light on there as you rev the engine up and down a few times to see if it really is advancing and retarding correctly.

The centrical advance in the distributor might be all crudded up with dead grease.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 74 bus with type 4 engine not running over 45-48mph Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tune up

Timing

Good luck
Tcash

If the engine was on, you'd be moving fast to check that throttle cable I'd bet.
Let's try it with the engine off though.
Laughing
Tcash

In High School shop class, this kid was adjusting the idle in drive on a Ford Mustang. Let me paint the picture for you.
Cars in drive parking brake on, kid sitting in the engine bay adjusting idle.
As we always did in those days, he reaches over to blips the throttle to clear the carb.
The car lurches forward stopping inches from the cinder block wall in front of it. He looked at me with eyes bigger than the Owl that couldn't get to the bottom of a Tootsie pop.
Good thing he was in the engine bay! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: