Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
trelms wrote:
... Don't buy a cheap ... turn signal switch from the usual web stores. They last about a year...

I fully agree. Mine lasted exactly one year. I repaired the original part - almost 50 years old - and it works fine, a year and a half later now.

Well for $40 I must have bought the cheap one. If the parts interchange I can fix the original switch. The small upper tab is broken off and I just realized the spring (w shaped) is gone.
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

Took the blinker assembly apart for cleaning.

The wipers only worked with two speeds. Looking at the contacts it appears there should be 3 wiper speeds. Anyone?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

74GhiaConvertible wrote:
Going to take it easy today. Work on the stearing wheel cracks and watch the carpet dry.

Have you considered trying to freshen up the look of that carpet by using a spray dye or specialty spray paint such as Carpet Refinisher from Color Bond?

I have no personal experience with using something like this - I just knew that such a thing was available.
Based on the fact that you can't seem to get that carpet any cleaner, it would seem like you have little to lose by trying it.
Just a thought.
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

Wiper speeds are 2. Low and high. My manual confirms that also. There are several unused terminals on the switch. It's a pretty universal one for many models. If you look at the harness it plugs into many are blank.

Also good work on the back hatch. There is leatherette that is on the body on both sides of the hatch. I can take a pic if you need it.

Amazing work. Wish I had the same patience. Razz
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
74GhiaConvertible wrote:
Going to take it easy today. Work on the stearing wheel cracks and watch the carpet dry.

Have you considered trying to freshen up the look of that carpet by using a spray dye or specialty spray paint such as Carpet Refinisher from Color Bond?

I have no personal experience with using something like this - I just knew that such a thing was available.
Based on the fact that you can't seem to get that carpet any cleaner, it would seem like you have little to lose by trying it.
Just a thought.

I'll look into that spray for carpet. I thought about dying it a dark rust color. Thanks.
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

trelms wrote:
Wiper speeds are 2. Low and high. My manual confirms that also. There are several unused terminals on the switch. It's a pretty universal one for many models. If you look at the harness it plugs into many are blank.

Also good work on the back hatch. There is leatherette that is on the body on both sides of the hatch. I can take a pic if you need it.

My two speeds seem to be slow and slower. I don't plan on driving in the rain but I want to be prepared and I would like the wipers to go faster. I've installed an electric washer pump and will try putting a micro switch in place of the stock air controlled washer switch.

I am curious about the leatherette pieces. I've got two more and don't recall where they went. Thanks.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

74GhiaConvertible wrote:
trelms wrote:

My two speeds seem to be slow and slower. I don't plan on driving in the rain but I want to be prepared and I would like the wipers to go faster. I've installed an electric washer pump and will try putting a micro switch in place of the stock air controlled washer switch.

I am curious about the leatherette pieces. I've got two more and don't recall where they went. Thanks.

I had that same problem, and a little lube to the wiper shafts where they pass through the cowl did wonders for increasing the wiper speeds.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

On my '74 wiper switch I have 3 positions: intermittent (which is not continuous or timed like a modern intermittent function), slow, high.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

I should clean and lube the wiper assembly then.

If there's no intermittent speed I may try making one. I'll take pics of the contacts in the wiper assembly and see how many wires there are coming from them.

I did get the micro switch installed in place of the stock air operated one and it checks out good with the ohm meter.
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

Stearing wheel cracks ground out and filled with epoxy. Not show quality but better than before.

After

74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

Replaced the air pressure washer part with a micro switch. Added a small washer pump near the stock washer bottle. And it worked!

74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

Took off he door panels and cleaned them.
Cleaned inside the door ,vacuum, blow out with compressor, wiped down.
Cleaned and lubed the widow tracks.

And a two piece blinker switch, arrived this way. Switch is good but the handle is broke off. Called Jbugs and they sent a new one and I had it in three days. So I can say their service is good. Got to keep the broken one too.

Placed some of the carpet in but didn't glue it. There's no saving this carpet but I'll use it for a while.
Cleaned and installed the door sills.
Been busy reassembling things so no new pics. Will get some when I feel like it .
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

Here's an old service record from 1999 with the original mileage.

74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

We went to our first car show. It was fun.
Mtinie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

Your car is coming along nicely! I love how the color catches the light.

Re: steering wheel -- Its funny how predictably they crack. Your photos and mine look nearly identical! Have you decided if you are going to wrap it in leather? I just did a similar epoxy restoration to mine and I'm torn if I want to leather wrap and stitch it or not. I need to research if that was a stock offering on the '74; the OE steering wheel I bought to replace the missing one in my car had a wrap on it, but I'm not clear if that was added by a PO to cover the cracks or original to the wheel.
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

Mtinie wrote:
Your car is coming along nicely! I love how the color catches the light.

Re: steering wheel -- Its funny how predictably they crack. Your photos and mine look nearly identical! Have you decided if you are going to wrap it in leather? I just did a similar epoxy restoration to mine and I'm torn if I want to leather wrap and stitch it or not. I need to research if that was a stock offering on the '74; the OE steering wheel I bought to replace the missing one in my car had a wrap on it, but I'm not clear if that was added by a PO to cover the cracks or original to the wheel.

I was pleasantly surprised that the original paint came back to life after a couple rounds of rubbing compound and wax... thanks.
I won't wrap the steering wheel. It's much better than it was. I can always add some more epoxy and wet sand it and polish it to look better. Maybe later.

I have no idea about stock steering wheels and leather wraps. Can't help,ya there.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

I did wrap mine... if nothing else than for grip in our Texas summer heat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

No, steering wheel wraps were not offered by VW as an option in 74 (had mine since new).

Amazing about the location, etc. of the cracks - mine are identical
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

I've been driving the car occasionally. I wanted to replace the top first but decided to do the interior first. So we're ordering parts and they have started arriving. Here's a list of what's coming...
Carpet kit
Dash pad and dash face
Door panels clips and seals ,window cranks, inner and outer window scraper/felt, the top black plastic on the top of doors
Seat and headrest covers and pads
Burlap and hog rings
Front speaker kick panels
Under seat speakers and a Bluetooth amp.
Gas gauge and tickler
That's most of it for now. I'll start posting pics of my progress soon.
74GhiaConvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Karmann Ghia Convertible...finally getting started. Reply with quote

Carpet kit from jbugs installed. It’s not the best carpet and it won’t last long but it fits fine and looks ok. Installed new door panels. Took the Ghia to a car show last weekend. Will attempt to go to another show this weekend near Houston TX. Did some more paint clean up with compound and waxed . Took my dad for a cruise! Slowly getting the old pieces replaced on interior. Enjoy the pics.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: