Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Hi Samba,
I just recently acquired a very solid 1978 Kombi. As the title implies, Fuel Injection and anything post '71 is new to me. It's currently not running but it was a daily driver before being parked in 2010 due to a "miss" (I'll have to pester the previous owner as to the exact symptoms). I just finished clearing out the interior and vacuuming the spiderwebs out of the engine bay and undercarriage. I know better than to try and start a car on seven-year-old gas, let alone sucking it through the sensitive FI system but, luckily, the PO drained the tank before parking it. I just finished the first of many readings of the FI chapter in the Idiot manual and was a bit overwhelmed but I'm sure I get the hang of it.
I'll be on a parts run tomorrow and will be getting some parts for the bus. Other than the usual hoses, filters, points, plugs, coil, etc. required to awaken a sleeping classic, what other parts should I be picking up that might be specific to the FI system?
First priority is to get it running. After that, you can bet I'll be probing the forums for help on getting it smogged. Any other bits of advice or caution on my first Bay Window would be greatly appreciated!
Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Congrats on the acquisition!

I stole a '78 tin top myself, though mine had sat for 15 years. It was repair shop refreshed to make it trailerable but thats it.

For the FI situation, you can piece it all together yourself, though I saw I think in the English VW magazine a company there that sells a fill FI refresh kit with all the hoses, clamps and bits for about $110. The pieces were cut to measure, just remove and install.

There is also a thread somewhere about the vapor return hoses that all need checking and replacing as well, and in there is a good 2 dozen posts about Marine Valves to help curb fuel flow in case of emergencies.

Another thing you want to check before you run it is if the brake fluid has gone corrosive. Thats one of the main things I am going to have to deal with, though your situation might be luckier.

Also while you are there in the engine bay, check the vacuum line that goes to the brake system.

My 2 cents!

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Here's a link to the best fuel,injection manual for your VW...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_training_troubleshooting_manual.php

It's a great source for understanding and troubleshooting the FI components. Much more informative than the idiot book.

Best of luck to you! Get it running and get to having fun with it! Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Pull plugs, oil in cylinders, and turn over carefully with a wrench listening for expensive noises. Parked with a miss 8 years ago needs investigation of course
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

I forgot to mention...
Be sure to buy fuel hose that is made for fuel injection. There's a few threads in here about one that holds up well to the high pressure and to ethanol-laced gas. The brand is Gates, but I don't remember the part number.

Edit: Found it... Gates 30R9.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Alright, the beast (I should say banana) is running. However, it wouldn't run at low RPM and I need it to pass California SMOG so I chickened out and brought it over to the local Bosch expert to play with. So far, he's gotten it running well but he says it has the wrong distributor which is causing the timing to be off and won't allow it to pass SMOG. He's having a hard time sourcing the correct California Emissions distributor, so I here I am looking for one. Any ideas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

You should probably contact this guy if it’s really just a distributor issue.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode...f3ef6343f1

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Is there anywhere I can source a Bosch 0231170093 distributor? It seems like they aren't manufactured anymore.
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Looks like this person is selling one:

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?cid=&s...ort=name_d

That said: you should post the part number for the distributor you have in there - what makes it special compared to any old SVDA? Did these have vacuum retard at idle? Unless there's a technical CA/FI reason you need it (have seen SGKent talk about ECU considerations in other threads), switching to electronic will likely run better:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Pertronix-III-SVDA-Distributor-D7182504-p/d7182504.htm

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:
Unless there's a technical CA/FI reason you need it (have seen SGKent talk about ECU considerations in other threads), switching to electronic will likely run better.

That's precisely the reason why I need that specific distributor. I'm in the process of getting the bus ready to SMOG (in California) and that distributor is one of two missing links, the other being the crossover pipe for the exhaust system. I did try BugCity but their online ordering didn't seem to be working properly so, I'll try by phone.
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

The distributor is finally on its way from BugCity but I still need the exhaust crossover pipe if anyone has one (PLEASE!).
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Do you have the crossover pipe part number? Have you contacted Ken at the busco?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

The Bus is alive, running well and currently has a California SMOG Certificate! Sonora Import was able to work their magic and make it now legally saleable in California once again. So just to sum it up, this rust-free bus sports an old driver-quality paint job, a clean interior with new panels and a freshly tuned up engine but it could use some electrical work for the exterior lights.

Now the important question: what would be a fair price for it or what should I expect to get for it? Obviously, the later models don't bring a whole lot, especially the transporters, but I don't really know where to start on the price since I was able to get it smogged.

I was planning a roadtrip in this beauty with my friends but after driving it, I can appreciate why people like them but I'm definitely more of a bug guy.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Good job. Now, if I’m going to try and help you price it I will need several pictures of the exterior, interior, engine, and underside. Plus the floors and I need to know if you have a clear California title in hand and if it’s a salvage title or not.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

If you fix the electrical work , replace all the brakes, and can pass a professional PPI 5-6k

That overspray paint job is your enemy, covering up any bodywork making it impossible to evaluate
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

PO painter needs to be flogged for painting over the green. There is a whole lota people that remember camping in the old green busses. Not that it is not a good looking bus....( I know it is a transporter, not a camper, but people get emotional over that crap.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

Pull up those rubber floor mats and let’s see the steel.

Paint over devalues it... No middle seat and wrong front seats. Looks fairly good overall, though. How’s the rest of the headliner?

Daily driver with epic road trips? Not yet. Complete power train assessment and chassis lube, plus brakes flushed and checked. CV joint servicing and what did you find out about the “miss” that caused it to be parked?

$5,000
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

no belly pan, what condition are the heat exchangers? I thought I saw an unleaded only sticker on it so where's the catalytic? Is it a Federal or California model, M-code plate?
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncharted Territory: Adventures with a '78 Kombi Reply with quote

The floor looks really good overall but there is surface rust along the seam behind the front seats. The only other rust I've been able to find is in driver side "battery tray". Obviously I'm not thrilled that someone repainted it but it was like that when I bought it. I have the front seats with worn original upholstery and the complete middle seat frame. The headliner is flawless.
Yes, it will need some more mechanical work before it's completely road-ready but someone will be getting a pretty solid base.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: