Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Well, this isn't going well. This should be really simple but I can't find the grease fittings on the lower torsion tube.

Here's a picture looking at the front of the torsion tubes:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I circled the fitting for the top tube. Does this look right? Where are the grease fittings for the lower torsion tube?

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are grease fittings on lower torsion tubes ('71 bus)? Reply with quote

You may need to wipe off dirt and grease to locate them. They also might be broken or missing. Look for the holes in the beam where they should be if that's the case. Then buy some new zert fittings.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are grease fittings on lower torsion tubes ('71 bus)? Reply with quote

Aha! So that IS the correct location! Thanks! Yeah, I think the bottom ones might be missing - it looks like you should be able to see it at the same spot in the lower tube. I'll look again now that I'm sure where to look.

1971 Westfalia camper
zh007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Where are grease fittings on lower torsion tubes ('71 bus)? Reply with quote

22manybugs wrote:
Aha! So that IS the correct location! Thanks! Yeah, I think the bottom ones might be missing - it looks like you should be able to see it at the same spot in the lower tube. I'll look again now that I'm sure where to look.

I had the same problem on my '77 the first time I greased her. The bottom ones were inexplicably missing. I found the two holes under some dirt and road grime. Clean off the underside of the beam where the arrows are pointing in the pic, and you'll find them.

I found mine at Ace Hardware - my FLAPS didn't have ones that fit. Size is M8x1.0

(and in a pinch, you could always pull one of the others and temporarily install in the lower beam so you can finish your lube job. Just be sure to actually get the fittings so you can do the job in the future)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Front axle beam Grease nipples N 18 515 1, N 18 516, N 18 511 2 Reply with quote

To link to this post
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8084409#8084409]Front axle beam Grease nipples N 18 515 1, N 18 516, N 18 511 2[/url]

Front axle grease nipples.

thanks to jerseylooker

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/4-003.jpg

#6 N 18 515 1 grease nipple A 6, 6mm - 1.00, Straight, Ind. Ref. # 8601
#7 N 18 511 2 grease nipple C 8, 8mm - 1.00, 90 Degree, Overall Length 18mm, Ball Check, Plated, Ind. Ref. 7940, DIN # 71412
#8 N 18 516 1 grease nipple A 8, 8mm - 1.00, Straight, Overall Length 15mm, Ball Check, Plated, Ind. Ref. 8901, DIN # 71412

links
http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/fasteners-fixin...ples_1195/

Good day
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Where are grease fittings on lower torsion tubes ('71 bus)? Reply with quote

zh007 wrote:

I had the same problem on my '77 the first time I greased her. The bottom ones were inexplicably missing.

Explicably, some careless folks are often wont to hit them with jacks and jackstands. Brick wall

Cap your zerks with bleeder valve caps and you'll be set for life.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front axle Grease fittings T2 (and other front end items) Reply with quote

Okay, I found the spots for the grease fittings for the bottom tube - or at least the holes for them. One was broken off, and one was completely missing. I can understand a broken one, how does one just disappear?

Where oh where are all the metric Zerk fittings going? I have bought some at VW part stores before, but checked with two stores on Saturday and neither had any new fittings. Went to Interstate Used VW Parts to get a replacement stabilizer/anti-sway beam (more on that below) and they didn't have any grease fittings. Finally found a used bus beam at a local shop, but it only had the upper fittings (the ones with a 90-degree bend), the lower ones were also missing. Must be a national shortage of Zerk fittings! So I got the upper fittings.

I replaced the fittings, now I have 90-degree fittings in all four corners. I can see why the lower ones are always broken - it's a really poor location, right where you tend to put the jack stand and you can't see them from the front side. This is a picture from the back, I will have to be extra careful every time I set the jackstands:

Here's what started the whole search for the grease fittings. I have a lower ball joint with a torn boot and no grease.

No problem, I've replaced those many times on Bugs and Ghias, it's the same thing right? Hoo boy, no, everything is heavier/more load/harder to break free! I've done this in a Ghia without removing the wheel hub or backing plate, but I couldn't do it with the bus (I tried). Here is the best suggestion I have for anyone doing this job:

It's darn near impossible to get the upper torsion arm pulled out while it's sitting on that rubber stop!
The disassembly should be something like this:
1) Jack up front and set on jackstands
2) Remove stabilizer bar
3) Remove wheel hub
4) Remove backing plate
5) Place jack under lower balljoint bolt and jack up until the upper balljoint is lifted off the rubber stop
6) Pull out locking tab from underneath and lift out the rubber stop. (Don't get your fingers between the rubber stop and the torsion arm just in case the jack slips).
7) Lower jack
8 ) Then break free the ball joints.
9) Remove set screws and pull out torsion arms.
The upper torsion arm will still be a pain because it's pressing against the metal bracket that hold the rubber stop, but it's nowhere near as much load as when the rubber stop is installed.

One last thing, I put a jack stand under the stabilizer bar to keep it in place since I was only disconnecting the one side. As soon as I got it loose, the other side (the side I hadn't touched) just fell off. What?? Turns out the bar was completely cracked through on the other side. There was rust in the crack, so it looks like it had been that way for awhile.

The person at the VW store said the same thing happened to him. So that's something to check when under the front end. In my case, it looks like a simple tug on the stabilizer bar would have pulled it free.

1971 Westfalia camper
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Odd, my original sway bar broke in the same spot a year ago.

About the Zerk fittings. Ace Hardware where I am has an extensive collection of metric Zerk fittings in their nut and bolt section. I've never not found the one I needed for a VW there.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Any decent auto parts would be willing to order in the grease fitting you need.

Larger diameter aftermarket sway bars are available.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Sorry to pester, but did you remove your torsion arms just to replace the boot? Shocked

For the readership, it is not necessary to remove the rotor/drum/backing plate/brake line/rubber stops/torsion arms/anything else just to replace boots on a bus…

I hope you were replacing the torsion arms/ball joints, otherwise you did a LOT of beautiful extra work… Razz

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Sometimes however, its best to do that extra work to clean up, inspect and beautify that which you will be putting back on. No sense putting something rusty back on if it can be cleaned, fixed and painted to last longer (if in good shape).
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
About the Zerk fittings. Ace Hardware where I am has an extensive collection of metric Zerk fittings in their nut and bolt section. I've never not found the one I needed for a VW there.

Yeah, I was eventually going to Ace if needed, they usually have the fittings, but I had to go to the VW shops anyways and was hoping to not make an extra stop. It just surprised me that the fittings were not available, either new or used, from VW shops. I used to be able to get them everywhere.

asiab3 wrote:
Sorry to pester, but did you remove your torsion arms just to replace the boot?

For the readership, it is not necessary to remove the rotor/drum/backing plate/brake line/rubber stops/torsion arms/anything else just to replace boots on a bus…

I hope you were replacing the torsion arms/ball joints, otherwise you did a LOT of beautiful extra work…

Thank you for mentioning that, I wasn't clear. Yes, I replaced the entire balljoint, the rubber was split wide open and there was NO grease left in the balljoint.

1971 Westfalia camper
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

22manybugs wrote:

asiab3 wrote:
Sorry to pester, but did you remove your torsion arms just to replace the boot?

I hope you were replacing the torsion arms/ball joints, otherwise you did a LOT of beautiful extra work…

Thank you for mentioning that, I wasn't clear. Yes, I replaced the entire balljoint, the rubber was split wide open and there was NO grease left in the balljoint.

Thanks for clarifying. Many people read these threads and don't post; it would be a shame if one of them was as lost as I was and then decided to rip their beam off to replace a boot or something… Very Happy
Madumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Quick question as I couldn't quite see the answer:

What's the best way to get grease back into the ball joints if you're replacing the boots... Just pack it in there?

thanks!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Madumi wrote:
Quick question as I couldn't quite see the answer:

What's the best way to get grease back into the ball joints if you're replacing the boots... Just pack it in there?

thanks!

Carefully drill a hole in the top and install a grease fitting and then fill it with grease.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

If you cant find them local.....Mcmaster Carr carries M6 x 1.0 and M8 x 1.0 grease fittings in straight, 45° and 90° in zinc plated steel, brass and 303 stainless.

I am sure you can find some other hardware bits you need from them....like metric holts and washers.... to make the shipping for a very small box worthwhile.

The 8mm x 1.0 come in packs of 10 in zinc/steel....for $9.48....part # 1105K75
The 6mm x 1.0 come in packs of 10 in zinc/steel....for $3.84....part # 1105K71

The 6mm comes in various lengths. Ray
Madumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Thanks so much for replies & references to where to buy, much appreciated...

OK, drilling a hole in the top of the ball joint... Do you tap afterward for the grease zirk (not sure how much metal there is to go through). Any hints on how deep the hole will go before i'm through?

thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Have a look through this story, there's nipple drillage described with photos in it somewhere: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700981

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Madumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Have a look through this story, there's nipple drillage described with photos in it somewhere: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700981

Awesome thread, thanks so much busdaddy... much appreciated

Grease zirk drilling shown on tie-rods:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8792415#8792415
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Front axle beam Grease fittings nipples T2 Reply with quote

Tech Tips

Ball Joint Grease (Zerk) Nipple (Fitting) Install (Pic Heavy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Note that some Ball joints have a little cavity in the end. So don't push through to hard or you may break your drill bit.

Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: