Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67-74 door striker
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

Well, seems how I do not have a proper grinder and would have had to taken them to work, I chose a different much easier route.
Alois66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

Dear Ghia friends,
I just wanted to contribute to that thread and share my expertise.
I did the repair last weekend and it went well with some minor but helpful improvements.

0.) Get a repair kit (mine was from national Porsche Parts dealer for a 911 Porsche). Not sure whether it corresponds to SierraMadre or Stoddard. But it mentioned the danish JP-Group on the label.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1.) Follow the exellent thread above.

2.) The small grooved pins have to be driven out from the side without the parts number (WD40 helps). The tip of the grooved pins with the point in the center is the thickest one, so don't attempt to hammer it out from there. Also use a punch with the closest matching diameter.

3.) For dismanteling and rotating out the plates I used a big big nut as a support for the big screwdriver.

4.) Also fixing the striker in a bench vice helps tremendously. As you can hammer the plates and wedge the plates apart at the same time.

5.) For inserting the new plastic parts after cleaning, rotate the plate in a position in which the plastic inserts fit and then insert the metal bushings.

6.) For each striker I modified only one metal bushing. I ground it down significantly (about 1,5mm left) and then I ground a wedge on one side (less then half of its side). See the red line as a reference

7.) Installing the bushings: The unmodified bushing goes in the part furthest away from the rotation center (so the plate can be lifted up higher easily). The modified wedged bushing goes in the plastic part closer to the rotation center and the bushing will be oriented in a way that the rotating plate will meet it on it's lowest spot and while rotating it further, it will lift itself up. Smile

8.) Again do it in a bench vice (unless you are an octopod Smile ) . Use the big screwdriver and the hammer and persuade it together.

And voila installed.

Hope that helps. Not easy but easier.
Best regards
Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

Alois66, great job, that's amazing. Modifying the bushing by cutting it at an angle so that the plate climbs up onto it is a brilliant idea! Very Happy
I agree, a bench vice would make this job a lot easier. Wish I'd had one when I did this!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

This seems to be sticky worthy, unless there already is one.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

Already there, this is the Sticky!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
This seems to be sticky worthy, unless there already is one.
Yes, it was recognised as worthy a few years ago. Your comment does prompt me to suggest everyone should peruse these stickies even to jog your memory of the contents. Sometimes we forget how good the information is and how much head scratching can be alleviated because of them.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Abigdumkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

So I’m reading this sticky, went and looked at my strikers, and they’re shot. So this is gonna be my project now. Couple questions for the OP and others who did this:

1) has anyone used the replacement kit from Stoddard or Pelican? Any difference?
2) when taking the old striker plate off the car, do I need to worry about what the screws go into falling down behind the pillar or are there nuts welded in behind?

Thanks in advance.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

Abigdumkid wrote:
So I’m reading this sticky, went and looked at my strikers, and they’re shot. So this is gonna be my project now. Couple questions for the OP and others who did this:

1) has anyone used the replacement kit from Stoddard or Pelican? Any difference?
2) when taking the old striker plate off the car, do I need to worry about what the screws go into falling down behind the pillar or are there nuts welded in behind?

Thanks in advance.

The capture nuts in the door jamb won't fall out. They're secured in a "slot" for lack of a better word, so that they won't fall out but still have some movement to adjust the position of the door striker.
If you haven't removed your strikers yet, mark their position with painter's tape, so that you have a good starting point of placement for when they go back on. Otherwise you'll be spending a fair amount of 'guess and test' time getting their alignment correct when you put them back on.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Abigdumkid wrote:

Thanks in advance.

If you haven't removed your strikers yet, mark their position with painter's tape, so that you have a good starting point of placement for when they go back on. Otherwise you'll be spending a fair amount of 'guess and test' time getting their alignment correct when you put them back on.

Agree with marking the striker places, I'm dealing with that now since mine were already off for body repair and paint. Can't seem to get the bottom of the door to tuck in after putting the rubber on, so now having to play with the adjustment....not fun.

In regards to the inserts for the strikers, it should be noted in the sticky what we used, I can't remember if it's any of the brands you listed in your question.

Either way, read through carefully what Era and I went through, and others so you can get those inserts mounted properly.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Abigdumkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

Thanks RB and ERA for the responses. I ordered the Stoddard versions of these. I see ERA and you went with Sierramadre. When they arrive, we’ll see if there is really much of a difference. I’ve already read this gallery 4 times and will read it again before starting. Thanks to you both on the info on the capture nuts and marking with painters tape.
Alois66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 67-74 door striker Reply with quote

I used the Stoddard one from what i can tell and they work well.
A short advice: Start with the first one in the evening, do some swearing and cursing until you finished the first one. Do the second one after a good nights sleep on the next morning and it will be much easier and you'll be fine.
Good luck
Max
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: