Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Help Me Change my Career
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead


Joined: January 01, 2007
Posts: 10294
Location: sticksville, ct.
skills@eurocarsplus is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:


Also, it saddens me to see so many folks recommend a gov't job. Not that the job is bad or unnecessary, just that something is wrong when the best pay and benefits are with institutions that only take, they don't generally create.


Sad, right? Its a for profit industry (automotive) yet the techs suffer. It was never like this. Had it been....I would finish my working years doing it

Vwwestyman

Yes, I broke free of the dealer chain however its hard on your own to stay competitive when you work on upper class cars....people want loaners, free coffee, free wifi etc all in a casino style lounge...and they want it all yesterday. Problem is dealers gave away the store making all of these accomodations...and it comes out of the techs hide

The subaru conversions I do I truly enjoy, but its a finite market...just like custom cars. Not many folks have the $$ for a full proper resto.

I love what I do...but hate how I have to do it.
_________________
gprudenciop wrote:

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian
Samba Curmudgeon


Joined: February 16, 2005
Posts: 7413
Location: East coast of Iowa
iowegian is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
cdennisg wrote:


Also, it saddens me to see so many folks recommend a gov't job. Not that the job is bad or unnecessary, just that something is wrong when the best pay and benefits are with institutions that only take, they don't generally create.


Sad, right? Its a for profit industry (automotive) yet the techs suffer. It was never like this. Had it been....I would finish my working years doing it

Vwwestyman

Yes, I broke free of the dealer chain however its hard on your own to stay competitive when you work on upper class cars....people want loaners, free coffee, free wifi etc all in a casino style lounge...and they want it all yesterday. Problem is dealers gave away the store making all of these accomodations...and it comes out of the techs hide

The subaru conversions I do I truly enjoy, but its a finite market...just like custom cars. Not many folks have the $$ for a full proper resto.

I love what I do...but hate how I have to do it.

It is obvious that you are too much of a nice guy. Raise your rates. Become a total asshole. Make your customers beg you to do their work. If they think that they are so high and mighty driving around in a Swedish truck-----teach them a lesson that they won't soon forget.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer


Joined: October 14, 2007
Posts: 9942
Location: Flippin' a Belt Off ..... NC USA
VOLKSWAGNUT is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Yes, I broke free of the dealer chain however its hard on your own to stay competitive when you work on upper class cars....people want loaners, free coffee, free wifi etc all in a casino style lounge...and they want it all yesterday. Problem is dealers gave away the store making all of these accommodations...and it comes out of the techs hide


I love what I do...but hate how I have to do it.


^ Pretty much sums the auto business in a nutshell

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
So if a young person was considering a career as mechanic would you encourage them to pursue this field of work? I.



No.. it's not for most.. Its not changing points and setting gaps anymore..
It's a tough job.. It requires tools and talent.
The gap between the young apprentice and older experienced is growing wider each year, so it would seem like a good career path to take.. ha..
The schools tell the students how much money they will make.. when they find out how hard it is.. for the peanut shells.. most bail before 30 years old..


Fact is.. the auto mechanic and industry.. has changed..
Less people today are auto DIY'ers and must have their cars repaired by pros. or some jack leg who think they are pro..
Good for the real pro business right??
Hang on.. not quite
People today.. want it now.. can't wait.. and want it cheap.. plus.. they read it online it's only a sensor... or a recall..and want all that schmoozing to make them feel special..
Sorry your Caddy is Chevy in a tin foil wrap.. but.. that's what it is..

Here comes the issue at the mechanic level .. its all about the way most dealers pay pro high level techs.. by flat rate.. The faster a tech can get a job done the more money they make.. keep in mind that applies to the dealer too..
When a good tech pulls a car around finished fixed right the first time.. in one hour.. that pays three, the bill will be charged three.. the customer looks at the time and freaks out.. (even though they are in a hurry) complains.. the dealer caves... charges half... and guess what.. cuts the techs throat and pays 1.5 for a job that paid 3..
Its 150 % bullshit..... for the techs..

Then there is this side... you spend 8 hours diagnosing a battery drain.. on a new car.. with 50 modules ,... with your own tools.. the dealer pays an average of 3 tenths.. yes that's 0.30 of 1 hour. ..... and if you, as a tech, wants up to maybe have a glimmer at 3 hours of pay for your 8 hours.. .. you'd better have the creative writing skills that surpass the greatest final term paper.. Oh.. not to mention you'd had better been clocked in.. and every step documented..

Be sure to clean up the shop area when you're done too.. oh yeah.. for free.. You don't get anything for that... you're lucky and be happy you have a job..
Don't make any mistakes.. cause that's on you..
Don't worry about being sued over leaving grease mark on the carpet..
You are dealing with machines and peoples lives ... one wrong twist of the ole wrench.. and it could cost you your entire livelihood.

No pressure.. ha..

Here's the thing.. most techs.. love the job.. we like taking something broke.. and fixing it.. correctly..
Just let us fix the damn cars.. and pay us what we are worth..

Its not the dealer's fault... it's the industry's fault..
It's called greed.. ..

Got to go... got a soccer mom and 3 crumb crunchers rolling dumpster with air bag light, a tire and brake vibration now after the 10 dollar hourly boy oil changer rotated the tires.. ..

Clean out ya damn car people before you take it in for service..

I may not even make it through the day.. Laughing
.
_________________
aka Ken {o\!/o}
Its your vehicle- stop askin' for approval-do what YOU like for cryin' out loud
Better to roll em' how you want and wear em' out-than lettin' em' rot out
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli


Joined: August 31, 2013
Posts: 5092
Location: North Carolina
TDCTDI is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Its not the dealer's fault... it's the industry's fault..
It's called greed.. ..

.

BS, It IS the dealer's fault. How much does the dealer make on each sale of a vehicle? $200-$500 each? The ONLY way that those glamorous dealerships make any money is on the rebates for units sold, the add-ons (including aftermarket warranties), the financing, AND the service department. So the techs are effectively paying for ALL of those service writers, sales managers & all the other employees in the damn building. One of our local dealers is charging $160hr labor & shoveling the shit pay of $20-ish to the tech. I talked to a buddy that's a "team leader" that was having problems getting/retaining competent techs & he offered to start me at $12, FU%#, I can make that flipping burgers, no frigging wonder they can't find or keep techs.
_________________
Everybody born before 1975 has a story, good, bad, or indifferent, about a VW.


GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer


Joined: October 14, 2007
Posts: 9942
Location: Flippin' a Belt Off ..... NC USA
VOLKSWAGNUT is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

^ True... yes.. fixed ops takes care of the main cost to run the buisness.. so yes I agree the dealer feeds the problem as well.
So not TOTALLY the dealers fault..
.

I was referring to the industry way of forcing dealers towards flat rate pay for techs .. granted.. the dealer could pay other ways.. but again greed takes over..

Some independent shops pay flat rate too.. hence why I was referring to the faulted industry method,.

When you look up an estimate.. its always in a flat rate calculated form.


Sorry wasn't trying to hijack the topic..
.. bottom line advice from me....for me.. .. find what makes you happy at your moment in time..

.
_________________
aka Ken {o\!/o}
Its your vehicle- stop askin' for approval-do what YOU like for cryin' out loud
Better to roll em' how you want and wear em' out-than lettin' em' rot out
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli


Joined: August 31, 2013
Posts: 5092
Location: North Carolina
TDCTDI is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

The fixed rate thing was designed to keep the customer from getting screwed & it works well when the employer isn't abusing it by adjusting it or changing the rate for "in house" repairs (IMO, ALL of this should go to the tech or shouldn't be adjusted at all.). It also worked when the shop/dealer split the rate 50/50, but that doesn't happen very often anymore.
_________________
Everybody born before 1975 has a story, good, bad, or indifferent, about a VW.


GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer


Joined: October 14, 2007
Posts: 9942
Location: Flippin' a Belt Off ..... NC USA
VOLKSWAGNUT is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

^ Yup..


When and if I get the Delorean running again.. ... I am going back to 1988 to beat the sense into my 17 year old self.. for multiple reasons...
Probably won't come back.. in hopes that the space time continuum has skewed straight to hell.
I'll head on back to 1955 after that..



.
_________________
aka Ken {o\!/o}
Its your vehicle- stop askin' for approval-do what YOU like for cryin' out loud
Better to roll em' how you want and wear em' out-than lettin' em' rot out
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited


Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 13, 2004
Posts: 7354
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
Zundfolge1432 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I have been considering a career change, too. Been doing construction for 25-ish years, and it's starting to hurt. Not sure what's next for me, but I need to finish my own home addition this summer before I stop this shit.

Also, it saddens me to see so many folks recommend a gov't job. Not that the job is bad or unnecessary, just that something is wrong when the best pay and benefits are with institutions that only take, they don't generally create.


Nothing wrong working for the Govt. in fact it might be seen as patriotic, civil service does have great benefits but even that is under attack now. Right down the road from here is Tinker Air Force Base, it employees several thousand civilian workers along side the military to maintain our readiness. Many of these guys did a stint of active duty did their reserve time then got on with civil service and all that time counts towards retirement. I donít see a downside to military service or civil service. As a veteran my views are probably biased though. Very Happy
_________________
What we think we become- Buddha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: November 02, 2004
Posts: 15647
Location: Sandpoint, ID
cdennisg is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
I have been considering a career change, too. Been doing construction for 25-ish years, and it's starting to hurt. Not sure what's next for me, but I need to finish my own home addition this summer before I stop this shit.

Also, it saddens me to see so many folks recommend a gov't job. Not that the job is bad or unnecessary, just that something is wrong when the best pay and benefits are with institutions that only take, they don't generally create.


Nothing wrong working for the Govt.


I agree. Dad is a retired state trooper, mom was a school teacher, and my wife is a school principal. I just feel it is a sad state of affairs that government jobs are recommended for better pay and more security than the private sector. Should be at least equal, if not the opposite (in that ideal world that doesn't exist).

100% my opinion only.
_________________
A podium level performance in the Waste of Time Olympics.

-Cold War Motors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 13, 2004
Posts: 7354
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
Zundfolge1432 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

So I guess it becomes a balancing act choosing a profession which doesnít drive you insane or make you a drunk and it must pay well enough to support a family while having benefits and allow you to save for old age. Thatís a tall order nowadays I remember my dad had a good enough job to support 4 kids and wife plus take us on vacation from time to time. Odd perks like paying half the lease on a new car every two years. That shit began unraveling about 1980. Like Neal said keep on rockin in the free world.
_________________
What we think we become- Buddha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead


Joined: January 01, 2007
Posts: 10294
Location: sticksville, ct.
skills@eurocarsplus is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

I just feel it is a sad state of affairs that government jobs are recommended for better pay and more security than the private sector. Should be at least equal, if not the opposite (in that ideal world that doesn't exist).

100% my opinion only.


it was never that way...one could make more in the private sector and have an ok(ish) pension plan. gov't workers were paid much less, but had killer retirement and health plans.

my wife is on the federal level. all I am going to say is it's insane the amount of $$ she makes and the retirement/perks are to kill for.

and to derail this one more time for my technician buddies out there....

the dealers DID kill the industry by bending for the manufactures and their demands. now, CSI can rape your wallet because a customer bombed the survey "because the coffee was too hot" or the "donuts were all plain" yet, the folks at the factory who have a "zero talent" job....like pushing the button to bolt your wheels on....get 20+ per hour, pension, raises and can buy a car at a HUGE employee discount. not to mention the factory is well conditioned (heat, a/c) is CLEAN with nice NEW stuff....most shops are so stuck in the 80's it isn't funny....

lets not even talk about sitting on hold with tech help because a reload failed...there is an hour of your life you won't get paid for.

or the parts guy who hates your guts. I was collecting parts when a guy was turned away for a wheel bearing. parts guy: "all out" and that's what I was at the window for. I said "well, looks like I'm SOL" parts guy smirks and says "I got you...I have 6 on the shelf....keep your mouth shut" oh.....the stories I could tell....

next time any one of you bring a car anywhere for service, look past the glitz and glam of the waiting room and look into the shithole the techs work in. there is usually a reason you can't see into the shop.
_________________
gprudenciop wrote:

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 13, 2004
Posts: 7354
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
Zundfolge1432 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Sorry sir our insurance doesnít allow customers in the work area.
_________________
What we think we become- Buddha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2004
Posts: 3460
Location: Manhattan, Kansas, USA
vwwestyman is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Spent the evening talking with a good friend about his change to private practice.

He said that as soon as I got a Masters of Social Work, he could hire me . I'd be basically on my own but working under his license until I'd worked enough hours to be licensed on my own. Would take two years.

But would be a natural progression of the current career track while still being basically in business for myself and on my own.

I'd applied several years ago and was denied, but I'm hoping that 5 years since of being a single foster parent will earn me some social-work cred! ha ha

So I'm going to go ahead a look into that further. Already sent an email to the closest school with an MSW program (Washburn in Topeka-unfortunately K-State's equivilant program is a 3 year program and isn't as flexible at the end!)
_________________
Dave Cook

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I'm gonna punch vwwestyman then shake his hand when I meet him.

notchboy wrote:
Ill just punch you in the face. Wink


1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer


Joined: October 14, 2007
Posts: 9942
Location: Flippin' a Belt Off ..... NC USA
VOLKSWAGNUT is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Sorry sir our insurance doesnít allow customers in the work area.


Trust me... if for their own protection...
If 99% of the customers witnessed the method we have to repair some vehicles.. they would go into cardiac arrest.. or shit their pants.
More so.. .. you never know when a tech will snap.. especially on an average fender lizard .

Yeah the true stores .. are unreal..
.
_________________
aka Ken {o\!/o}
Its your vehicle- stop askin' for approval-do what YOU like for cryin' out loud
Better to roll em' how you want and wear em' out-than lettin' em' rot out
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian
Samba Curmudgeon


Joined: February 16, 2005
Posts: 7413
Location: East coast of Iowa
iowegian is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Spent the evening talking with a good friend about his change to private practice.

He said that as soon as I got a Masters of Social Work, he could hire me . I'd be basically on my own but working under his license until I'd worked enough hours to be licensed on my own. Would take two years.

But would be a natural progression of the current career track while still being basically in business for myself and on my own.

I'd applied several years ago and was denied, but I'm hoping that 5 years since of being a single foster parent will earn me some social-work cred! ha ha

So I'm going to go ahead a look into that further. Already sent an email to the closest school with an MSW program (Washburn in Topeka-unfortunately K-State's equivilant program is a 3 year program and isn't as flexible at the end!)

I wish you well.
But whatever you do, don't even think about becoming an automobile mechanic. I've heard that is absolutely the worst job on the planet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli


Joined: August 31, 2013
Posts: 5092
Location: North Carolina
TDCTDI is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

More so.. .. you never know when a tech will snap..
.

Especially when something stupid comes out of a customer's mouth.

Many years ago, I went off on a customer that accused me of potentially damaging his tire when I let it bounce as I removed the wheel from the vehicle to replace the brakes that had ground through to the vent vanes. I told him that if that damaged his tire then he needed to thank me for saving his fu*&ing life because it sure as hell wouldn't have survived the first GD pothole with the weight of the car on it.
_________________
Everybody born before 1975 has a story, good, bad, or indifferent, about a VW.


GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead


Joined: January 01, 2007
Posts: 10294
Location: sticksville, ct.
skills@eurocarsplus is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Spent the evening talking with a good friend about his change to private practice.

He said that as soon as I got a Masters of Social Work, he could hire me . I'd be basically on my own but working under his license until I'd worked enough hours to be licensed on my own. Would take two years.

But would be a natural progression of the current career track while still being basically in business for myself and on my own.

I'd applied several years ago and was denied, but I'm hoping that 5 years since of being a single foster parent will earn me some social-work cred! ha ha

So I'm going to go ahead a look into that further. Already sent an email to the closest school with an MSW program (Washburn in Topeka-unfortunately K-State's equivilant program is a 3 year program and isn't as flexible at the end!)


that's great! and like I said, look into gov't/municipal jobs. they pay quite well. it sounds like you really enjoy what you do, but kind of hit a wall so to speak. this would be a great way to advance.
_________________
gprudenciop wrote:

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2007
Posts: 2793
Location: E-burg
Malokin Martin is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
There's a report online that says 50% of 1st marriages, 67% of 2nd marriages, & 73% of 3rd end in divorce. .


Side note:
The Ol' Lady hates it when I introduce her as my 1st wife. Has for 25 years now.


Iím totally stealing this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member


Joined: March 19, 2004
Posts: 2307
Location: fort collins, CO
marklaken is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Spent the evening talking with a good friend about his change to private practice.

He said that as soon as I got a Masters of Social Work, he could hire me . I'd be basically on my own but working under his license until I'd worked enough hours to be licensed on my own. Would take two years.

But would be a natural progression of the current career track while still being basically in business for myself and on my own.

I'd applied several years ago and was denied, but I'm hoping that 5 years since of being a single foster parent will earn me some social-work cred! ha ha

So I'm going to go ahead a look into that further. Already sent an email to the closest school with an MSW program (Washburn in Topeka-unfortunately K-State's equivilant program is a 3 year program and isn't as flexible at the end!)


Sounds promising. My wife is currently pursuing a Masters in Social Services . Talk to the guidance counselor and take a good look at your options in the syllabus. In my wife's case, she is able to get two Masters degree in the same amount of time with minimal additional courses/cost. In her case, she ends up with a Master in Social Service and a Master in Public Health. Nice to have two baskets to put all your eggs.
_________________
Wish List:
1967 Wesfalia SO-42 Parts Needed: Kitchenette, Cot Poles

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 7145
Location: NW Arkansas
sb001 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I just feel it is a sad state of affairs that government jobs are recommended for better pay and more security than the private sector. Should be at least equal, if not the opposite (in that ideal world that doesn't exist).

100% my opinion only.


it was never that way...one could make more in the private sector and have an ok(ish) pension plan. gov't workers were paid much less, but had killer retirement and health plans.

my wife is on the federal level. all I am going to say is it's insane the amount of $$ she makes and the retirement/perks are to kill for.

and to derail this one more time for my technician buddies out there....

the dealers DID kill the industry by bending for the manufactures and their demands. now, CSI can rape your wallet because a customer bombed the survey "because the coffee was too hot" or the "donuts were all plain" yet, the folks at the factory who have a "zero talent" job....like pushing the button to bolt your wheels on....get 20+ per hour, pension, raises and can buy a car at a HUGE employee discount. not to mention the factory is well conditioned (heat, a/c) is CLEAN with nice NEW stuff....most shops are so stuck in the 80's it isn't funny....

lets not even talk about sitting on hold with tech help because a reload failed...there is an hour of your life you won't get paid for.

or the parts guy who hates your guts. I was collecting parts when a guy was turned away for a wheel bearing. parts guy: "all out" and that's what I was at the window for. I said "well, looks like I'm SOL" parts guy smirks and says "I got you...I have 6 on the shelf....keep your mouth shut" oh.....the stories I could tell....

next time any one of you bring a car anywhere for service, look past the glitz and glam of the waiting room and look into the shithole the techs work in. there is usually a reason you can't see into the shop.


OK sooo....

it's somehow MY fault for choosing not to get suckered when the immobilizer on my 99 Maxima acted up last fall, preventing me from being able to start the car--that's right a supposed "amenity" that when it goes REQUIRES you to tow it to the dealership and be completely at their mercy-- then when I had it towed to the Nissan dealership they quoted me $2200 (yeah you read that right) saying it needed a completely new immobilizer unit AND ECU... knowing full goddam well the car's not worth that...
so I tow it home and call a locksmith who comes to my house and reprograms the ECU and rechips my key and completely fixes it all for $250... not a problem since.
Defend what that dealership tried to do to me. Go ahead. You're basically saying I should be ashamed that I chose not to pay them because they knew full well they could do the same damn thing that locksmith did but are trying to take me out behind the woodshed instead with their completely outrageous quotes on parts/ labor, either to to generate revenue for their bonus check or to simply try to get me into a new car.

FUCK THEM.
_________________
1969 autostick sedan, owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB