Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Dennis,

Before you remove anymore material. Spray the inside areas (along the areas of concern) with some black spray paint.

Fit your flywheel to one of your engines and try fitting it in the transmission. You should be able to quickly identify the high areas (the paint will be scraped off) The primary areas to remove are near the bolt holes.

I am concerned you may be removing too much material. It only took me 15 minutes to do my case. (I have done it twice)
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

I've found a rotary burr in my drill motor to work well and take, as webonya said, about 15 minutes. A sanding drum in a drill motor will also work well.

Just be careful with the grinding dust. It's HIGHLY flammable and you CAN'T put it out!!!
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...this match
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Old school way to do it is align the engine with the input shaft, get it started on the floor, and slowly push it in and let the flywheel clearance itself Laughing
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

15 minutes? AAaarrrgggg, I won't remove any more material until I paint the suspected areas, attach one of my engines to a flywheel......and then mate and spin. After all the grinding that I've done, I've got to be pretty close. Thanks guys. Laughing
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

dennismcd707 wrote:
15 minutes? AAaarrrgggg, I won't remove any more material until I paint the suspected areas, attach one of my engines to a flywheel......and then mate and spin. After all the grinding that I've done, I've got to be pretty close. Thanks guys. Laughing

So you're telling us that you have WAAAYYYY more than 15 minutes into this already? Rolling Eyes

Cool
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...this match
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

.... I've still got work to do in order for this to work. Just minor twists and turns in order for the two to mate successfully on my workbench, which takes a little bit more time than I had this morning out in the garage. I'm using the engine with the stripped threads in the crank as my flywheel 'guide', and I also couldn't get the flywheel mated with the crank (tight dowels) .....close enough so the flywheel isn't sticking out farther than it should.

Plus, I've got a new Scat glad nut that is .250 longer than stock, but apparently I don't have a socket that will fit it. Another set back in just trying to mate the two components. All of this takes time, and I should probably tackle this on Saturday. It sucks working afternoons. I can only work/play until around noon, then everything stops.......... so I can go to work.

Just thought I'd post my progress so far....... with the new "plan" in motion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: