Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joint "Blues"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

*** UPDATE ***

Since I had a failure on a 944 joint that I tried, I thought I would update the polished CV joints that have been running on the other half shaft. These were installed in Sept. 2014 and were repacked in Oct. 2015 and again early in 2016. These cv joints now have 57,419 miles on them. They still plunge smoothly and only have a couple small grooves where the balls were riding, but were centered and not on the ends like many of the other failures.

I decided to make a little clip showing the joints and also the way they are installed. "SMOOTH, SMALL, GROOVE" to the flange side is how I remember this. The smooth side of the center star, the small opening of the cage, and the single groove side of the outer ring.

As of today I have installed all (4)four rear CV joints with some that I purchased from VC and specifically asked for the GKN Lobro joints that have the (3)three grooves on one side. I am doing a test and polished (2)two of the joints on one half shaft and installed the other joints right out of the box. Right out of the box they do not plunge easily at all. I want to see if race prepping the joints makes a difference and is worth the extra effort. Time will tell, and I will do another update on these joints. I also installed a new set of Rockford boots that I purchased a while ago, yet I did not have any boot failures for the (2)two years since I installed these polished joints.

Here is the clip:

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenjaminCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

I'll be following this progress. Thanks for the effort you are putting into this!
bettingonvans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

Ron,

I just did my CV joints and found this post incredibly useful. I compared the roughness of the unworn surfaces of my old (and pitted) joints to the new GKNs and found my new joints to be much more rough. I polished my new joints with the same bits you used.

One thing I found was that out of the box my new GKNs were assembled opposite what you show at about 4:11 in your video documenting your polished joints. You say "3 rings toward the boot" and my joints came assembled with the 3 rings oriented away from the shoulder on the boot side. Did you find this to be the case also? I flipped them around and followed your experience. My old joints were also oriented as you documented in your video.

Josh
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

bettingonvans wrote:
Ron, One thing I found was that out of the box my new GKNs were assembled opposite what you show at about 4:11 in your video documenting your polished joints. You say "3 rings toward the boot" and my joints came assembled with the 3 rings oriented away from the shoulder on the boot side. Did you find this to be the case also? I flipped them around and followed your experience. My old joints were also oriented as you documented in your video.

Josh

Josh, I have noticed that also when purchasing new CV joints. Several have been assembled incorrectly from the manufacturer. If you have assembled them as in the video, they will be oriented correctly. I needle grease my joints every at least every 10k miles also.

Here is an article from Van Café.

http://www.van-cafe.com/cv-joint-maintenence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hellenic vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

Bought two LOBRO cv joints for my Passat Syncro.

The one, very stiff, failed after 500 km, making noises.

The second one, never worked at all, even by putting through it 1m lever as was fixed on the bench!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dealer says that will be a full refund for both.

Why they do not have the three lines opposite to the one? Are they Chinese although the word "Germany" is on the main body, (but not the phrase "Made in Germany")?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

Those look to be assembled wrong.
Take them apart and rebuild correctly.
http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/cv_assembly.htm
http://moira.meccahosting.com/~a0008423/cv_clocking.htm

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
hellenic vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Those look to be assembled wrong.
Take them apart and rebuild correctly.
http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/cv_assembly.htm
http://moira.meccahosting.com/~a0008423/cv_clocking.htm

You are right.

The problem is that the inners are fixed as if they are welded. It is not possible to move, even slightly, even by the brutal power of a lever!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

The inner "star" hub and outer body are both axially symmetrical, it doesn't matter where any grooves or other features go relative to each other.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hellenic vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
The inner "star" hub and outer body are both axially symmetrical, it doesn't matter where any grooves or other features go relative to each other.

O.k., but is there any explanation why the system does not move a bit?
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

Far be it for me to disagree with you, Chris. I think it's assembled wrong, too.

And from Ben's site quoting Tom Carrington:

"Note from Tom: Here's the really important part - Notice how the grooves for the ball bearings in the outer race are not equally spaced. The inner race also has large and small spaces between the ball bearing grooves. To assemble the joint correctly, make sure to align the thin spaces of the inner race with the wide spaces of the outer race. Be careful - You can do this wrong! In fact, the joint goes together easier when you are doing it the wrong way. If you assemble it the wrong way, the joint will bind when it tries to flex."

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

hellenic vanagon wrote:
Why they do not have the three lines opposite to the one? Are they Chinese although the word "Germany" is on the main body, (but not the phrase "Made in Germany")?
I have seen Lobro joints with different combinations of outside grooves (around the outer edge under the serial numbers and brand)
The most common is the one groove on one side and three on the other. The other is just a single groove near the outer edge.
However, you're right, those CV's do have an odd groove I haven't seen before and the shoulder cuts on the inner star also seem odd.
But then they are marketed for Audi and VW so hard to say if it is really a Chinese knockoff or just a different joint than I'm used to.

As for the joint being locked up, it may take a bit of fiddling to work it loose enough to disassemble. But, you said the dealer will take them back for a full refund so just check the replacements are assembled correctly before using.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

The joints pictured are definitely assembled incorrectly. The easy way to remember is big is opposite small. The above is big opposite big.

As mentioned, when assemble wrong, as you slip in the last ball, the joint will actually feel like it is welded solid. How do I know. When I was an apprentice I assembled one like the above. I had a hell of a time getting it apart without destroying it. It can be disassembled, but not without effort.

I only made that mistake once and am willing to admit I did it. You only make that mistake once. Good luck, or send them back. I always disassemble new joints so that I can smear grease on all the ramps. I don't trust forcing grease through assembled.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. I have never replaced CV's joints before and have that job to do this weekend with 944 joints. I will take my joints apart and smear my grease on them.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

Quote:
Far be it for me to disagree with you, Chris.

You're not, Ric, we're talking about different things. I was just putting a bullet thru another zombie notion's head, that the grooves or the hub boss has to go one way or the other. They don't. But the undead always seem to rise again. Hmmm, maybe the whole blowing off their heads thing is a fantasy too.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
You're not, Ric, we're talking about different things. I was just putting a bullet thru another zombie notion's head, that the grooves or the hub boss has to go one way or the other. They don't. But the undead always seem to rise again. Hmmm, maybe the whole blowing off their heads thing is a fantasy too.

Gotcha. You are talking about the front/back of the assembled cv when placed on the axle. Another sacred cow or ceremonial convention broken by common sense.

I have found, though, that clocking one cv on the axle to the other as per this method does affect the articulation of the axle when operated at higher angles.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
hellenic vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The joints pictured are definitely assembled incorrectly. The easy way to remember is big is opposite small. The above is big opposite big.

As mentioned, when assemble wrong, as you slip in the last ball, the joint will actually feel like it is welded solid. How do I know. When I was an apprentice I assembled one like the above. I had a hell of a time getting it apart without destroying it. It can be disassembled, but not without effort.

I only made that mistake once and am willing to admit I did it. You only make that mistake once. Good luck, or send them back. I always disassemble new joints so that I can smear grease on all the ramps. I don't trust forcing grease through assembled.

Mystery solved!

Here is my previous joint.

When the joint is assembled like this, (correctly):

It "flexes" nicely:

But when it is assembled like this, (incorrectly):

It is not that works less than the optimum but it does not work at all.
It gets blocked!:

So the new LOBRO joint is fatally incorrectly assembled or there was an intervention before it was received by me.

In any case, folks, thank you very much.
hellenic vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

By the way, is there any experience with the SKF cv joints?
(Yes, I am going to this solution using already two front outers, (made in Italy)).
hellenic vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

Just know I found this:

Link

Fortunately, I kept the boxes and now the drama begins.
hellenic vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

Unofficial reply from the SKF Hellas, (Greek dealer): "up to the present moment, at least, there are not spotted counterfeit products for the car market".

"Our cv joints production is, specifically, in our Italy plant".
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint "Blues" Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Quote:
Far be it for me to disagree with you, Chris.

I would argue that you are wrong here, the way you assemble the joint can make a difference on some but not all joints. I am not talking about the small to big alignment thing. When the joints are completely assembled on some joints the inner race will push out further on one side than the other effectively changing the length of the axle assembly. The outer race may also have some clearancing just as the cage has clearancing. I don't think either matters though so long as the axles are not run near their extremes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: