Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

We have had problems early on with the turbo mounting bolts coming loose, or rather stretching when heated up due to over-torquing.

Using the original bolts and true clean surfaces are key. Proper torque is the most important. The bolts they must have high temp anti-seize on them prior to installing. The threads in the turbo must be cleaned from debris so they can be torqued correctly. We run the bolts into the turbo several times prior to installing them to the manifold.

Make sure the turbo lower mounting bracket is there also. A missing bracket will cause strain on the bolts when they are red hot.

We have tried different bolts with the tab lock but found the original bolts with proper torque work the best.

My Syncro is put under a lot of stress as many of your's are also. Our Wunder Bread race Vanagon has original bolts and we all know the stress it's under.. They will last if set up correctly initially.

VW Logo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

I didn't know there was such a thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We needs more deets

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

24hrs of Lemons! Hahahaha!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

This screws are not just simple 8.8 or 10.9 screws.
They are heat resistant.

Maybe you can see the differance in the price.
JX original turbo screws.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Bus-T2-T3-Turboladersch...rmvSB=true
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

I had the conversion done summer of 2011 at 139k now 152k. Shipped it south and my wife and I flew down and drove it back. Heard the first sound of a possible very faint exhaust leak just upon leaving Wavelengths surf shop in Morro Bay with a concrete wall next to us and windows down on our drive North.

I think I have always had a slight exhaust leak just enough to kinda know its there when driving with windows down and a barrier next to the vehicle.

A couple years after conversion had a massive exhaust leak and limped into a campground during a road trip late in the evening. We went immediately to bed. The next morning on our way back from the bathroom my wife picks up something from the ground near rear of westy and asks me what it is. I say wow that is an exhaust gasket and why we are here. One bolt was completely missing and the other two were backed out allowing the gasket to be blown out.

Stephan immediately mailed me 3 new bolts and gasket. I used antiseize and believe I torqued to spec. Every now and then could still hear a slight leak for years, it started getting worse lately and bothering me. Maybe two months ago found a large crack in the exhaust manifold, was bummed but stoked to have finally found the leak.

Had to separate the turbo to replace the manifold. Did not appear to have any leak at that gasket and all 3 bolts were still snug with probably 10k on them. Since I had to separate the turbo from manifold I replaced the good gasket and what appeared to be good bolts with new oem, torqued to spec the best I could with antiseize. I replaced all 3 gaskets manifold/turbo/turbo exhaust, replaced manifold, replaced a few other studs and nuts since I was in there.

Started up and idled perfectly sounded GREAT. Took for test drive and want to say was the quietest had ever been but there still may have been a VERY slight leak. The westy is not our daily driver.

Just back from a 2k road trip. Definitely have an annoying exhaust leak. Runs perfectly but we had the windows down alot and I was in the fast lane on I5 from Central Oregon to Gig Harbor Washington and the constant sound of marbles in a tin can drove me nuts.

I have not started checking for where the leak is yet but might today after washing it. Sure hoping to find it at the turbo to exhaust as that's super easy not looking forward to finding the leak at manifold or turbo gasket.

So from my experience the OEM bolts and gasket held fine for 10k and might have indefinitely being torqued to 27ftlbs and antiseize had I not had to separate to replace manifold.

Will report back with findings on new leak. I so hope it is the easy gasket. That turbo gasket is not in the easiest place to reach any suggestions on how to verify an exhaust leak location if one can't feel or see it?

Stephan has been great and always answered any question I have had even 7 years after conversion! I have high regard for him and his shop and I love having the 1.8T!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

I'm not saying this is your issue
but I had marbles in a tin can and was a wastegate flapper that wasn't shutting completely and was rattling on the pivot arm.

https://www.google.com/search?q=loose+wastegate+flapper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I didn't know there was such a thing.

We needs more deets

check out those scoops…like elephant ears…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses.

First report from the shop after day 1 (voicemail -- couldn't ask questions) is that my turbo is cracked and must be replaced. $850 from VW, eBay versions of unknown quality available for much less. I'm not inclined to go the eBay route, but I'm open to suggestions.

And while I'm here, is there any reason to think that installing vent scoops would be helpful?

http://www.t3technique.com/accessories/body-accessories,-stickers,-etc/bullihutzen-(vent-scoops)/

Dan
Dan
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

Curious if you are able to post a picture of your cracked turbo.

I noticed a crack in mine. I could not see that the crack went all the way through and I did not replace.

Any thoughts on the crack in my turbo?
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Turbo gasket/seal failure -- common problem? long term fix? Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.

First report from the shop after day 1 (voicemail -- couldn't ask questions) is that my turbo is cracked and must be replaced. $850 from VW, eBay versions of unknown quality available for much less. I'm not inclined to go the eBay route, but I'm open to suggestions.

And while I'm here, is there any reason to think that installing vent scoops would be helpful?

http://www.t3technique.com/accessories/body-accessories,-stickers,-etc/bullihutzen-(vent-scoops)/

Dan
Dan

Everything that cools your engine room, engine, turbo, will be helpfull.
oilcooler, new watercooler, scoops, and i wiould also install a blower like the original JX directed on to the turbo. Swiched manualy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: