Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

SixVolt wrote:
Appreciate that insight. I'll post a pic of what's there when I get it back down to Ohio.

My 59 is a post May bus and came with a full synchro trans, so the switch to big nut was easy.
For the cables, I used thr later ones but instead of shortening them I used pieces of metal tubing to cover the excess cable an tightened th nuts against that. Works fine.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
I thought the Bastard 40 and the Fully Synchronized Tranny came out at the same time? Odd to have a Bastard on a split tranny?

Output of the Bastard 40 HP is same as the earlier 36 HP....
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

Ok, here is an update. Went up to Michigan and trailered the bus back. The prior owner Ben is a really nice guy who did a lot of nice work on this bus.

In any event, we discussed how it woulld probably be better to consider putting in another tranny and if its a big nut to probably go with a bigger engine than the 40HP.

So here's some pics under the bus of the trans/mount location.

Can any of you knowledgable split owners tell me if this bus (Again VIN #473896) has the earlier set up or will a big nut fit without one of those adapters?

If you can't tell from these pics, what areas can I photograph to give you a better view to tell?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SixVolt on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

SixVolt wrote:

That image shows the later cast in place torsion bar tube mounting points for the later tunnel case front mount. Plus you can see the later front mount is not hanging down on some rinky dink adapter. So either it is a bus that came after the switch over or someone welded in a newer torsion bar tube.

You can also check for switch over date/chassi number in the "Progressive Refinements" or even the VW dealership parts manual, that will show at what chassi number the front mount changed.

here:

http://www.oacdp.org/
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

BTW those square headed bolts on either side of the rear shift linkage coupler need to be safety wired together in such a way as to keep each of them TIGHT.

Had one fall out in middle of nowhere NM. Not real good to have happen! Have kept them wired since then.
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

Many thanks! That's good news. As I mentioned earlier, I have a drum to drum core big nut that I can have a shop go through. I have a buddy that can help me go through the RGB's. I don't like getting too far away from stock, but I owned a '59 previously with a small nut and a 36HP and it was scary getting on a freeway even on a Sunday morning. I know the gearing probably isn't all that much better, but my current trans was ground down by someone in the past (not Ben) to an ugly pulp. The replacement big nut trans doesn't have the bell housing ground down. I may even be 12 volt, as it has these rubber pads on the axles that suggest its a late split trans.

I'll get on those square nuts as well. Thanks for the tip.

Many thanks to all who weighed in!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

Judging by the seal on your shift input and a couple other possibilities I think you already have a Big Nut tranny and most likely a '67. Don't get too excited yet as it might just be an uprated nosecone with backup lights and the sealed shaft.
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

It is an updated nosecone. Good eye. The current tranny is a small nut. 36mm. My core (potential replacement) tranny is 46mm. I'll try to get a pic up of the potential replacement core. The previous bus owner (Ben) had issues with the old nosecone on the tranny he was working with. He found a replacement small nut and put a replacement nose cone on that tranny. It was frustrating for him because someone previously butchered the bell housing on the trans converting some other vehicle to 12V.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

You can use a self supporting starter to work with that chewed out bell housing.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

SixVolt wrote:
I know there are many threads on this topic, but finding the best ones depends on the search terms used and I've sometimes forgotten what terms I previouly used to get at some of the better threads.

In any event, I may be putting a big nut into a '59 (VIN#473896)

Is this all I need?

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/trans-adapter-2301265/

What about the nose cone and hockey stick? Does the big nut nose cone and hockey stick just mount to this adapter?

Sean, it is a tunnelcase trans bus...

Stop by the new house on your way home, I am sort of on the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
You can use a self supporting starter to work with that chewed out bell housing.

Especially if it's a 12 volt. If you are putting in nothing more than a 1600 I would stick with small nut, anything bigger, than big nut.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

I dunno I really like a 1500sp and Big Nut combo, 1600+ as well. My 1500SP Big Nut combo worked well in the city and on freeways, I would have to drop to 3rd on long steep foothills (from Sacramento to Auburn daily)
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Big nut tranny in a 59 Kombi Reply with quote

Hey guys:

His small nut trans is a good working unit and the big nut is a mystery trans. He can switch the big nut axle tubes and RGBs onto the small nut center section, right? Other than the 4.12 vs 4.37 are they interchangeable as an assembly? Being his is a SN tunnel it should be a 59-63 with a 4.37 R&P.

I don't think going to 4.12 from 4.37 should be an issue, he plans to go with a 1600 at the same time. I have a '64 BN in one of my buses which appears to be a one year only 4.12R&P with a 1600DP and it's fine. But, I can tell the higher gear from a previous 4.37 BN I had.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/50_67_bus_gear_ratios.php

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: