Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fresh air fan dimensions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

I've been wondering about whether there are modern fans that could fit in the same ducting under the dash as the original fresh air fans - does anyone have some out of the vehicle that could measure the external diameter of the fan housing, depth, etc?
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

Check out this site

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172278&highlight=interior+fan+options
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

Thanks!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm guessing this isn't what you're talkin' about. Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

That is a great way to circulate the air. In my case I have a cup holder mounted in my ashtray, but I could make another slide in for the ashtray and do a quick change. I was lucky enough to pick up some built in fans (ambulance) for $10 each.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
I was lucky enough to pick up some built in fans (ambulance) for $10 each.

That was a great find!
Let us know how you like them.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

Bluebird customs in the U.K. used to sell direct fit plug and play modern fans. But I just looked on their site and don’t see them. There is a thread on here about them. It’s titled “Ambulance fan question” Nigel posted pics of the fans. They basically appear to be bilge fans that have been augmented with rubber ring. I don’t have my originals with me or I would send you the dimensions. Lots of companies make fans that should fit in that area if your going for a stock hidden concept.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
Check out this site

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172278&highlight=interior+fan+options

All I can say is, this blows!
I just installed one of these fans in my bus and it was an easy install and does an amazing job. My bus is a 9-passenger so it has that flow-through door panel for the non-existent passengers in the back so I blocked that off with a rag and inserted some weather-stripping in the defog vent to maximize the air flow to the driver. I like it so much that I’m going to add one to my SC, too!
1966 Beetle
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

Where are these being installed? Is there another spot they could go other than in the door side vents in the nose? What about the Y vent above the metal airplane T (I don't know what it's called).

Lastly, how loud is it?
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh air fan dimensions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is where the fan is installed. It just slides in once the two pieces are removed (the black plastic piece with the blu rag inside and the metal piece that it’s attached to). Perfect fit, although I stuck some small foam pieces around the fan to stabilize it inside the vent. It’s not a quiet fan but my bus is not a quiet ride. It’s mainly air movement noise because it’s moving quite a bit of air, which is the goal.
1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: