Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A newcomer has a few questions
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolson1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: A newcomer has a few questions Reply with quote

Hello Samba members,

I have come to the point in my life where I realized that like my first Ghia (69.5) in high school, my life is not complete. I purchased a 67 coupe and found it in the California desert. It actually still runs (not smooth) and needs a lot of work. The chassis and body numbers match and the engine was made the same year (1967) based on my research. Never been painted and has almost all of her parts (mostly original). Is it best if I refurbish the parts that can be saved and use them again or purchase replacement parts? It seems like it will be fun to polish and spruce up what came with the car but what are the rules of thumb in this scenario?

I want this to be a weekend driver with the capabilities of going to car shows here in coastal California. Any advice in general? I am not sure yet about the brakes or steering other than it works but may need to be rebuilt. The engine is something I want to replace with an enhanced motor but keep and rebuild the original. Most of the "heavy lifting" I will have a professional do but the tear down and replacing the parts can be my part of the rebuild.

I have been taking her apart slowly and starting to look at the classified ads and retail outlets that really have a lot. I am not afraid of buying quality but feel that I am not in a good position to know the difference at this point. Any general rules of thumb?

It seems the 1967 dash pad and ignition are different from other years. Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the dashpad? Does anyone think the faux wood grain dash front is neccessary? It seems like this could be easily removed and sanded down for paint...

This is already long and I apologize in advance, but these are the questions and items that I am still not sure about.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A newcomer has a few questions Reply with quote

- Rebuilt original parts will usually be better than aftermarket reproductions
- Rebuild the parts yourself or have one of the many Samba members who specialize in said parts do it for you
- Ask question here in the forums. There is a wealth of collective knowledge available within
- The more you do yourself the more money you have available for the tasks you can't do. There is also immense pride in knowing you did it yourself
- Stock will always be smiled upon by onlookers and vehicle value alike
- Drive the car for a while and get to know it. You can tackle the rebuild one item at a time.
- Get the entire braking system inspected and replace any parts that are in less than verifiable great condition with the highest quality parts you can find. Don't economize on brakes
- Get the front and rear suspension, steering box, and flexible coupling (rag joint) inspected, Check the ball joints and tie rod ends for wear and play. Replace any parts that are suspect. This is another area you don't want to economize on.
- If the steering box needs love, there is a Samba member who is rebuilding them. Original steering boxes are superior the the TRW reproduction. Check out this topic for details: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446
- Once you are certain the car can stop and is stable at all four corners, get the motor and transaxel in good running condition.
- Go over the electrical system. Replace bad connectors and suspect wires, The last thing you want is a short circuit and possible electrical fire
- if there is a fuel filter in the engine compartment RELOCATE IT to near the metal fuel line exiting the chassis. Get it out of the engine compartment
- I don't have any information about the ignition switch
- Post lots of pictures to soften the blow of askin long questions Very Happy We love eye candy.

...We're all in this together,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A newcomer has a few questions Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

This pretty much covers most of it.

Evil_Fiz wrote:
- Rebuilt original parts will usually be better than aftermarket reproductions
- Rebuild the parts yourself or have one of the many Samba members who specialize in said parts do it for you
- Ask question here in the forums. There is a wealth of collective knowledge available within
- The more you do yourself the more money you have available for the tasks you can't do. There is also immense pride in knowing you did it yourself
- Stock will always be smiled upon by onlookers and vehicle value alike
- Drive the car for a while and get to know it. You can tackle the rebuild one item at a time.
- Get the entire braking system inspected and replace any parts that are in less than verifiable great condition with the highest quality parts you can find. Don't economize on brakes
- Get the front and rear suspension, steering box, and flexible coupling (rag joint) inspected, Check the ball joints and tie rod end for wear and play. Replace any parts that are suspect. This is another area you don't want to economize on.
- If the steering box needs love, there is a Samba member who is rebuilding them. Original steering boxes are superior the the TRW reproduction. Check out this topic for details: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446
- Once you are certain the car can stop and is stable at all four corners, get the motor and transaxel in good running condition.
- Go over the electrical system. Replace bad connectors and suspect wires, The last thing you want is a short circuit and possible electrical fire
- if there is a fuel filter in the engine compartment RELOCATE IT to near the metal fuel line exiting the chassis. Get it out of the engine compartment
- I don't have any information about the ignition switch
- Post lots of pictures to soften the blow of askin long questions Very Happy We love eye candy.

...We're all in this together,
Emil

Post pics!

If the original paint is half ass decent, leave it as long as you can unless it starts causing rust issues.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dolson1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A newcomer has a few questions Reply with quote

Hi Emil,

Thanks for the friendly advice. It's nice to know we are all in this together. I will take a bunch of pictures and post this site. This way all can see what I have to work with and what are the biggest challenges.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A newcomer has a few questions Reply with quote

I've been where you are now except that my car had rust - and lots of it. Emil and TDCTDI's advice is good, from my experience.

There's a lot of satisfaction to be had in restoring and refurbishing old parts. Involve your wife. Soon she'll be calling it "our Ghia" rather than "your *&%%$# car!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A newcomer has a few questions Reply with quote

Just follow Emils advice, but dont follow him down his rabbit trail. It leads to a HOLE. Wink
Yes, plenty of 67-69 owners remove the faux wood dash cover. The stock guys leave it, well, cause its stock. No harm either way. GlassAction in Ariz makes the simplest, dash top repop. Ignition switch is one year only, I often see them in the classifieds, always nice to have a spare.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ion+switch
Learn who the "good sellers" are. There are 3 ignitions for 67 in the link. I payed $10 for the last one I picked up. Fair price for "untested" is near $20-$30, not $100, $125....
Here is a pic of Glass Action dash cap. (I spiced it by covering in black vinyl with a French stitch across the front)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All this free advice and no pics of this hoax original paint 67 ghia. sheesh. Rolling Eyes
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A newcomer has a few questions Reply with quote

Darrell, what's up with the green & amber warning lights, did you relocate the oil & generator lights from out of the speedometer?

I've been pondering this as the new seating position & the Formuling wheel I've had laying around for 25 plus years blocks them from view.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A newcomer has a few questions Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Darrell, what's up with the green & amber warning lights, did you relocate the oil & generator lights from out of the speedometer?

I've been pondering this as the new seating position & the Formuling wheel I've had laying around for 25 plus years blocks them from view.

Not really. The ign, high beam and oil pressure warning are all in my beautiful and functional trip speedo, its the best and it is quite wonderful and it is Yuuge. Many people say it is the best in the entire world. Wink The holes are factory, probably locating holes to hold the piece in a press. The green is connected to my old school Oberg oil filter, it lights if screen gets too full. The amber light is lonely, I have not found anything for it to do Crying or Very sad . The red one is my brake warning, I wired it to light every time I touch the brake pedal instead of "if a problem".
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
dolson1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: A newcomer has a few questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and pics. I love what you have done with your Ghia. I will look at the shop in AZ for a dash cap and post some pics of the ‘67.

You guys rock!

D
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: