Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the shartruck project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

MrPapageorgio wrote:
Thats a beautiful caddy.... great job on the save

thanks. I think it was pretty well cared for over the years...but the rust got to it for sure.

not tons of 'visible' progress but I got the intercooler pipe bent up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and the down pipe made....

this was a HUGE pain in the ass. hard to tell from the photo but there is a twist to the pipe where I had to use a couple 90* elbows to get it to clear everything. never again....was almost a full day of cut/fit/cut/fit to make it work

it's tight with the a/c, but not bad. started to make up the lines

I work on stuff far more compact than this, so it's really not a big deal.

like I said, visible progress isn't there. I have the harness all laid out and had to extend a couple wires for the IAT sensor. beyond that, I think I am looking good.

so close, yet so far. been making brackets and whatnot to route things so it looks factory. it's moving forward just fine, but slow. no real rush and to be quite honest, I am kind of tired pounding money into this thing....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
charliestruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
got the engine in

started to lay out the IC piping. going to bring it to a place an get it all bent up so it's 1 piece.

it's funny, in some ways it's tight in others there is more room than you'd think.

doing the a/c wasn't really a big deal, but it's a bit snug at the firewall. I will just hard line the evaporator connections as the original hoses are well, old and just bend all over the place to the point I can't use them.

the biggest most challenging thing was making the compressor mount. seeing this is an AEB with an external water pump there is NO accessory setup that will work.

in the end, it will all fit just fine.

Wow, very nice, very clean!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

I was going through the forums I don't normally go to and found this and man Skills, you saved this thing! Looks really great!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Thanks. Of all the cars I have bought this is the only regret I have had. Not bad I guess for a 29 year run.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

again, not huge visible progress, but been chipping away at this pile o'shit.

got all of the intercooler piping painted. it got pretty tight by the strut tower

the big time eater here has been running the harness. just when I think I like it, I don't. finally got the harness in the "least worse" route. the idea here is to make it look factory.

and I made a ECU bracket to mount under the fuse box. I also incorporated the engine management harness into the OE rabbit harness so I didn't have to punch a hole in the firewall

really not too far off from running it. I need to finish the exhaust, drop the fuel tank (just to make sure it's clean....should be, as it was a runner when I got it) do brakes/suspension relocate the battery and it should run. I still have a ton more to do but just picking at it here and there....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
linwine Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

I’m looking at this one for sale right now should I run or not to bad?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

linwine wrote:
I’m looking at this one for sale right now should I run or not to bad?

fucking run.....

I will NEVER and I mean NEVER do another mk1 with tower rot. most of that is due to the parts being NLA, and having to source a donor.....so, it's like doing the job twice.

in the old days, I could have sold off enough stuff to help offset the cost. mk1 stuff is d-e-a-d......no one is buying anything anymore. it use to be I could buy a 400.00 car and make 2k off of it in a week.....those days are long gone

of all of the rust repairs I have done, this by far was the most miserable repair ever.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

well, it's done (ish)

got the suspension all done. spindles blasted/painted new wheel bearings...the works

also made up some factory looking heat shields for the firewall and rack

charged the a/c

made a gauge pod that bolts in under the edge welt. as ugly as that tan dash is, it's mint. I also swapped out the 85mph speedo for a GTI unit. amazingly, I had one that was 150 miles less than the truck had, so it was about 5 minutes with a drill to make the mileage right.

and that is the true mileage on the truck. add about 200 miles to it, as I have been out enjoying it

I never really could fit well in these with the stock seats, so I found a set of corrado seats I am having recovered in that wonderful tan.

not really impressed with the spec stage 2 clutch. it took every ounce of my being not to lay into this for 200 miles, but I was up on the highway in 5th and decked it. it seems to slip a bit when the boost comes on. the pisser is I told them EXACTLY what I was doing, and they said this would be fine. I will take it easy for a bit and see if things change, but I doubt it.

I have a set test route/shakedown routine I do. it's a 10 mile loop around town to the local dunkin donuts for an ice coffee

few loose ends to tie up....need to put the bumper end caps on, install the washer jug, radio etc but shes a runner. odd.....this is by far the BEST driving truck I have had....VERY quiet inside. not sure that the cap has to do with that or not. the 2.5" exhaust has a nice note. kind of a VR6 vibe to it. pretty mellow until you push the go pedal.

overall, it was a fun build. I hated every. single. second. of the rust work. mostly because I had to buy a donor to harvest the parts. would have been much better to waltz into VW and buy the panels, but they are NLA as of 2012 as I recall.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

turned out great.. you really get into detail
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
turned out great.. you really get into detail

thanks. it's just the way I am. a couple things I need to address is the boy racer blue intake coupler, and I want to paint the aluminum intake pipe black as well.

when I was ordering couplers they were out of black and for mock up I checked the "send substitute color" box to keep the project rolling. when I do this stuff I agonize about making stuff looks like it belongs....to the point of getting factory clips etc to route wiring.

I still need to find a decent engine cover for the thing too

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Awesome build here Skills, I love seeing your level of quality. I think she’ll be got a few 1.8t engine covers, I can send you one if I have what you’re looking for.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Nice job, pm me your address, I think I have a few covers.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

nice wabbit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charliestruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Mighty fine detail work!
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Glad to see that mk1 isn't dead yet Wink hears mine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: