Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amp install question with aux battery
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
happycamper93465
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Amp install question with aux battery Reply with quote

I have a 91 Westy I am adding a powered subwoofer to. I have the gowesty aux battery installed with their kit as well as the radio toggle switch. My question is what battery do I connect the amp to? The main battery or the aux battery?
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp install question with aux battery Reply with quote

happycamper93465 wrote:
I have a 91 Westy I am adding a powered subwoofer to. I have the gowesty aux battery installed with their kit as well as the radio toggle switch. My question is what battery do I connect the amp to? The main battery or the aux battery?

I have my powered sub wired to the 44AH house battery via the aux fuse panel with the trigger (remote switch) wire connected to the blue (power antenna) wire of the head unit. I still get parasitic draw on my house battery when the van is put up for winter in the garage. I pull all of the fuses from the aux panel after parking it and give it a top-up charge about once a month.

Be sure your power supply wire is the correct wire gauge for the demand and distance to the sub, and fused properly.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp install question with aux battery Reply with quote

When you installed your aux battery, did you power your radio (yellow wire) to the aux battery? If so, then definitely power your sub to the aux also.
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp install question with aux battery Reply with quote

"I have my powered sub wired to the 44AH house battery via the aux fuse panel with the trigger (remote switch) wire connected to the blue (power antenna) wire of the head unit. "

I have one of my vans set up like this and it is my favorite design.
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: