Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oddly worn pulley hub bore
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: oddly worn pulley hub bore Reply with quote

There was an erratic squeaking at idle. I pulled the generator and fan assembly off and when putting everything back together I found the worn hub. I thought maybe the screws behind the fan came loose again. Anybody seen this before? It looks like an electrical issue perhaps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oddly worn pulley hub bore Reply with quote

looks like a poor aftermarket quality pulley.
screws came loose again ?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: oddly worn pulley hub bore Reply with quote

no screws were tight. The pulley probably came from Stoddard. I doubt it has 1000 miles on it.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: oddly worn pulley hub bore Reply with quote

I would guess the hub and pulley ended up with some play in them somehow and allowed it to crack then grenade. If you order another make sure there is no slop in the hub and inner pulley.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kneeslider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: oddly worn pulley hub bore Reply with quote

This happens when there are an insufficient number of adjustment shims in the stack.

You need a total of 10 shims fitted to the pulley area, or the big nut will not tighten down and clamp the pulley properly. My betting is that you have less than 10.

With a little play available, the belt will hammer the pulley halves against the flats on the hub till this happens, and eventually the pulley breaks in half.

Have a look at the other pulley half and check for wear, and matching wear patterns on the hub. If in doubt, replace all three bits and buy enough shims to make a total of 10
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: oddly worn pulley hub bore Reply with quote

I've got 10 shims. The outer pulley half is in good shape.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: