Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 bus battery fit
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

Hi folks,
My SO42 has the original battery bay hold down clamp configuration. Want to use the clamp just as it came when new. Looks like about a 7 inch distance from clamp to hold down. Are there any batteries available with a foot print that would satisfy my needs. Intending to keep the stock look.

Thanks, Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Hi folks,
My SO42 has the original battery bay hold down clamp configuration. Want to use the clamp just as it came when new. Looks like about a 7 inch distance from clamp to hold down. Are there any batteries available with a foot print that would satisfy my needs. Intending to keep the stock look.

Thanks, Bill

6 or 12 volt?
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

I put an optima in mine and it fit the stock clamp just fine.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

This is a stock 67 with 12 volt system. Looking to fit an Optima or sealed lead/acid battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Looks like about a 7 inch distance from clamp to hold down.

So this shelf?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With this hold down?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You want group 42 size. Optima has one with the little ledge to clamp onto. Interstate has a "maintenance free" lead acid.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

BarryL,
Yes exactly! Thanks for posting the pics. The only difference is mine is pearl white. This is a great site full of wonderful info and good people.
Bill
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

Deka 8A24 (8A24M)

It's an AGM battery and will outlast an Optima...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

Yep, a group 42 battery. I just ordered one for my Jan 1967 production Campmobile at my local Battery and bulbs+ outlet, they can get 'em, but in my region there is a delay as the battery manufacturer is out and will be making a new run of them (group 42 batteries) in a couple of weeks. Or at least that's what they are telling me...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Deka 8A24 (8A24M)

It looks bulletproof but is a 24 the same size as a 42?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

Here's the number off my "no maintenance" battery: MT 47/H5 B6 Interstate. Interesting that it says "47".
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
Deka 8A24 (8A24M)

I screwed up and listed the wrong battery. They don't list a Group 42 in the AGM battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 bus battery fit Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
BarryL wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
Deka 8A24 (8A24M)

I screwed up and listed the wrong battery. They don't list a Group 42 in the AGM battery.

BarryL wrote:
Here's the number off my "no maintenance" battery: MT 47/H5 B6 Interstate. Interesting that it says "47".
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-47-h5

Sheesh to me, too, as mine says Group Size H5 : wtf?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: