Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 SO42 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
WillMoss wrote:
crofty wrote:
WillMoss wrote:

I'm going to be sticking with the original two-tone colors, Blue White over Sea Blue ,L289/L360. I was worried that combination would be too "cute" for the look I was going for, but got some pressure about it being a special ordered two-tone in a one year only combination.

Here's a photo showing the sticker in some terrible lighting from when I first came across the bus. I'll get a more clear photo of the m code and the sticker next chance I get.

What makes it a one year only combination?

I was under the impression that blue white over sea blue was 1965 only before going to cumulus white.

Myself as well. I prefer the blue white with the seablue.

Interesting M-code plate. Generally an SO-42 with two tone and options has no portcode and no x42 or 108 code or power outlet... but yours does. Not sure I've seen that before. You got a cool one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is an SO-42 Dormy bus I used to have that was built later the same month. two tone no port code westy.

That’s really interesting! Did they leave those off because they were ordered and delivered as two tone kombis instead of a standard being delivered to be an SO-42? I’m not really an M-code expert so I love getting schooled on them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Great work Will !!! I need a welding lesson from you!

Keep it up bud
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

WillMoss wrote:

That’s really interesting! Did they leave those off because they were ordered and delivered as two tone kombis instead of a standard being delivered to be an SO-42? I’m not really an M-code expert so I love getting schooled on them!

I'm not sure I understand the question. None of the buses I was referring to were standards... all were kombis. Kombis painted to become westys have different paint codes than regular kombis. This makes sense as the westies are painted on the inside in back, but regular kombis were grey in back.

There is a discussion about no port code SO-42s / late split westys and paint codes here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220422&highlight=westfalia
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

mtnbus wrote:
Great work Will !!! I need a welding lesson from you!

Keep it up bud

Thanks Bubba!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
WillMoss wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the question. None of the buses I was referring to were standards... all were kombis. Kombis painted to become westys have different paint codes than regular kombis. This makes sense as the westies are painted on the inside in back, but regular kombis were grey in back.

There is a discussion about no port code SO-42s / late split westys and paint codes here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220422&highlight=westfalia

I was just wondering if you knew why they might leave those codes off on the M-Code for a standard two-tone SO-42?
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

I've got this whole thing in two coats of polyester primer now from the gutter down, all blocked out by hand in 180 grit. I'm planning on doing one more coat and blocking it one last time in 180 again before putting it all in 2K primer.

Since I last updated I put the doors and rear hatch back on so I could bodywork it all together like it would be fully assembled, that way nothing looks too fat or pregnant compared to the other panels. I ended up having to get another door from a '65 at BBB because I thought messed up and welded in the KF replacement skin before really straightening the door. I think I'll only make that mistake once... Then finally primed over the black and got to see it all in one color.

The new one looked pretty good when I got it but needed a bit more massaging than I originally thought to get the gaps where I wanted them. I think they look pretty good now for an initial fit and minimal hinge adjustment. Blocked out and on the bus they look great too, I'm hoping after all this sanding and priming that they're going to turn out really straight, especially for my first time doing any of this stuff.

So now that its nearly ready for the third coat of poly apart from some fingering around the edges and such I've moved on to the roof so I don't have to bother with masking and sanding overspray off of it again.

At some point in this busses life it was in Alaska and some of the snow weight dented the roof quite a bit. I've been pulling on it, heating it up, and shrinking it back down using the shrinking disc. Its oil-canning a bit in the middle so I'm planning on using the porta-power and some wood to brace it and put some pressure in the middle and keep shrinking it back down until it barely moves and pops back out to its normal shape. It comes back into shape now if I smack the high spot with my fist after I press it in, but I'd prefer it to be a tiny bit more rigid.

The shrinking disc is magic when trying to get the curve of the roof back to where it needs to be!

Its still hard to picture being past this stage, especially when it takes a few days to sand the whole thing well, but it's getting closer!

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Nice job! Looking great! We'll be watching your progress...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

There has been a lot of Sea Blue in the air these past few weeks! I finalized all my bodywork and sprayed the whole exterior and the dash in 2K primer before I dropped out the beam and the transmission so I could put it on a dolly to get to the underside.

I spent a couple days cleaning and sanding the undercarriage and straightening edges and un-bending the trans cradle. It looked like someone had used this thing as an offroader judging on how smashed up it was. Prepping the bottom sucks, its tough to get into every nook and cranny and you just end up smashing your hands into every sharp edge and beating the crap out of them.

I had the paint matched to the og colors on the inside of the decklid and the fresh air box color. Two areas that saw very little sunlight, so I think the paint is pretty true to the original shades.

Getting the bottom and the engine bay painted felt like a huge weight off my shoulders since the rest of the bus was pretty much ready to go after some scratching with 320 grit.

I painted the bottom first, then engine bay, then interior, then the roof. The Blue White is such an interesting color. By itself its super minty. The dash came out great along with the rest of the interior. Seems like a shame to cover it all with cabinetry and paneling.

We let everything cure for a bit and started masking for the exterior paint. I think people underestimate how tough it is to mask for paint. It looks a lot easier than it is, and I always assume it won't take that long... but when you're trying to successfully protect the areas you just spent so much time painting, it's tedious but really important.

I sprayed the whole thing Sea Blue first, then Blue white on top the next morning.

Got excited and decided to do one pass of wet sanding and buffing on the long panel... I'm pretty stoked on how it turned out, especially for this being my first attempt at doing this level of bodywork. Removables are up next for paint and then I'll go back and buff out the whole thing and start on the beam, rims, and all the other components that are going to need to be detailed now... Rolling Eyes

Needless to say, I'm super happy with how far this has come. I never thought I'd be capable of building like this, and JJ and his guys have been a massive part of making it possible when they're not teasing me... Its been frustrating at times and I have definitely wished they would jump in and help me on something that would probably be simple for them, but I'm grateful that they're forcing me to do it all myself and making me do it right...

I'm ready to have a camper!

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

so bitchin!

saw this on the KCW forum, wish i was closer to there my single would be on the waiting list already
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Your bus is looking killer!!!! Love that color combo! Applause
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Awesome! What did you use to straighten the trans cradle? Just hammering away or ?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

I envy your ambition, motivation and skills! You are a solid example to (who I hope you find) is a large audience of younger car restorers who doubt their ability to follow through. I can't say enough good things about you and of course your results!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

That looks amazing, nice job!!! Can't wait to see it come together.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Awesome! What did you use to straighten the trans cradle? Just hammering away or ?

I used a Porta-power with a duckbill spreader attachment to get it started and pry open the areas that were folded over. That alone got it pretty close, so from there I basically just used a combination of channel locks and hammering to massage it the rest of the way.

Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for all your compliments! I’m definitely luckier than most my age to have the opportunity to do something like this, but I’ve also sacrificed a lot to make it happen. A lot of my breaks from school were spent cutting, welding, grinding, and sanding while my friends were off on wild spring break trips or whatever. I have definitely surpassed the quality level I was initially shooting for and have had to spend a lot of time going back and bringing old work up to this new standard, but I think it’s reallt worth it.

I just graduated from college, so this time right now is probably one of the only times I’ll have where I can give 100% of my time to a project, so I think if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right the first time, and at this point it’s worth overdoing. Laughing
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Stellar job!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

WillMoss wrote:
I have definitely surpassed the quality level I was initially shooting for and have had to spend a lot of time going back and bringing old work up to this new standard, but I think it’s really worth it.
Yes, very nice work Brother!
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Wow, this bus is crazy. This build is super motivating for me, especially given your age! We're both part of the 'younger folk' here on thesamba (even though you are still a good 6 or 7 years older than me haha) and to see another younger person taking on a project like this and doing such a great job is really getting me psyched to start on mine!

Anyway, keep it up! Can't wait to see it come together! Home stretch Applause
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

A bit more progress to report on the assembly of my bus!

I finished buffing the rest of the shell and it looks awesome! Like a mirror!

Next to one of the current KCW projects...

I decided to start tearing into my mechanicals so I could send my transmission to Eddie at Painter's. Glad I did too, it looks like the someone ran it dry or something based on how chewed up the fulcrums were.

We've been doing some numbers crunching and thinking and are going to go with a 3.44 R&P with an .89 4th gear and the original big nut reduction boxes. I think with the 215/75/r15 tires I'm planning on running and the 2332cc I've already got it should be an awesome cruiser. Without a 2 liter I don't think this would be a great combination, but I'll be sure to report back on how it works out for me!

While I had everything apart I blasted all the components and painted them. Gonna be nice and detailed underneath!

I also installed a new wiring harness and rebuilt the original speedometer with new cells before I put it back in.

I've also been simultaneously refinishing the pop-top and all its parts. I started by roughing up the existing finish and then completely coated it in a new resin. I sanded the resin smooth, primed it, and then painted it Silver White. I roughly fit a seal to it and put it up out of the way on top of the roof until I can finish the hinges and other hardware.

More progress everyday, so I'll try to stay on top of keeping this up to date!!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Great Job!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: