Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! SOLVED!!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonas.andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! SOLVED!! Reply with quote

Soo long story short, I have had some trouble with removing one of the spark plugs and ended up dropping the whole engine just to file down the spark plug leftovers in order to get it out! I did finally succeed but i can not be too happy yet since there is now a strange nose from the engine when i pull it around by hand force please check this YouTUbe video that i uploaded and see if you can hear what it might be? Shocked Sad

Link

UPDATE:

I fount the problem and it was on the flywheel. It appears that this nut from the flywheel hit the taco speed sensor every time it passed by. I simply gave it a hit with the hammer to it pushed back a bit.

here's a picture

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jonas.andersson on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: horrible sound from engine wbx 2.1 1997!? Help! Reply with quote

sure! that's a broken piece of something on top of the piston hitting things. put the cylinder in the open exhaust valve position, make sure the spark plug is out, and put a shop vac on the port while hitting the plug hole with compressed air. i think you'll feel a chunk fly down the hose. well, if i'm not full of BS and you're rilly lucky.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonas.andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! Reply with quote

okay! Crying or Very sad

is there any use to flush with water wile in open exhaust position?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! Reply with quote

Did you first run the engine with the spark plug removed like I suggested? If so, small debris should have blown out. Good luck getting a big chunk out. If it won't fit through the plug hole, it's going to have to get through an open exhaust valve with the engine off. If something is bouncing around in there, there will probably be witness marks on the sparkplug. Sorry about your bad luck.
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! Reply with quote

Personall, I would "do it right" and pull the head, sorry but if something is stuck in there it will just embed itself in the piston or head and be a potential hot spot to incite pre-ignition. Or get stuck in a valve and burn the valve.
Alternately you could borrow a scope and try to see what is bouncing around and work on manually extracting it. You have mentioned putting water in the cylinder to flush it out, I would not use water, perhaps 5W oil, but water and steel barrels/rings/engine parts is just a bad idea. Have you tried to put the engine on its side with the plug hole down and see if gravity would work its magic? how about a magnetic pick up tool?
Good Luck...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! Reply with quote

The sound appears to happen repeatably at a particular crank position, you could narrow the possibilities by noting where that is, then you could consider which parts are in which positions at that point in the cycle.

It doesn't sound like a foreign object inside a cylinder to me, that wouldn't make the ringing sound.

Pop the valve covers and watch each valve as a helper turns the crank, see if there's a sticky valve snapping shut. If you don't see any irregular movements there, take off the rocker sets and see if the noise goes away, then you know it's in the valve train.

Is the ign. distributor removed? If so, stop turning the engine forward at all, because a drive pinion jam is in your future! It is OK to turn it backward, though.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonas.andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! SOLVED!! Reply with quote

Solved it.... check top for update. Cool
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! SOLVED!! Reply with quote

What's a "taco speed sensor"? Thanks.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! SOLVED!! Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
What's a "taco speed sensor"? Thanks.

The sensor for the level of hunger and how soon you need to eat on a tuesday Laughing
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! SOLVED!! Reply with quote

That is not the taco sensor, it is the Siebenhundertsiebenundsiebzigtausendsiebenhundertsie-
benundsiebzig
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! SOLVED!! Reply with quote

The question is, why did the interference start and is it going to happen again at an inopportune moment? I think I would be tempted to pull the flywheel and beat the TDC sensor out of there before poking the engine back up in it hole.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Horrible sound from 1987 WBX 2.1 engine!? Help! SOLVED!! Reply with quote

You said nut, but did you mean the end of one of the pressure plate mounting bolts? I would wonder why only one is hitting. If you wacked the end of the bolt you mushroomed the threads and you may have problems when you replace the clutch at some point. I'd be curious of you have all the correct pressure plate bolts. If one is longer than the others, that is a measurable balance problem. I'd also ensure your end play is to spec.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: