Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

Hi,

Have a '74 with numbers matching engine - not sure if this really worth much these days but looking to do a refresh - engine runs well and compression is good.

So.. do I rebuild with all new internals or buy a turnkey and keep the old engine if a purist wants to take t back to original.

Thoughts appreciated.
!984 911 Targa
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

If you have the storage space, either have an engine built by a reputable firm or rebuild your stock engine as a practice run and then build your replacement engine using all new, high quality components. This will let you keep your numbers matching engine and give you valuable experience about how these engines go together.

If you have never built a VW engine you are better off buying one built by someone who is experienced at avoiding all the pitfalls involved. I have no personal experience in this department but I know there are specific things you need to look out for when building an engine.
Others with far more experience will be along shortly with additional advice.

... we're all in this together,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

You dont say if the car is all original (only #'s matching). Would it be a good candidate for a 100 point pebble beach restoration? Do you plan on selling soon? Concern is value? It is an interesting and kinda common dilemma. Probably more important if you owned a lowlight with original 36 horse. Sometimes "resto mods" sell for more than stock, sometimes not. Depends on the car, its history, the year built, prominence... Its a very individual car specific decision, I dont think one size fits all. Smile

Pros,
You have a good case (dual relief) for a more high performance build. Using it will save a good chunk of change (new case $800?). You can or should be able to reuse crank and rods... its still original case/motor.

cons,

You dont have the original stock motor if the car were ever sold to a purist. Case is opened up for 90.5's, cant go backward.

If you build a quality motor I dont think value will take much of if any hit.

Does a Okrasa motor dilute the value of a lowlight if its not original? how about a period correct super charger? Non original yet period correct Accessories? To me...they can add value.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

Its all original .. but not pebble beach ready.. its a keeper - My first car was a beetle but always wanted a Ghia - so not plans to sell any time soon. and I have a '59 beetle as well Smile

Agree re value with/without "original" motor vs hi-po motor.

I did build an engine many years ago but per the comment - their are many nuances.

Looks like a turnkey with dual carbs is around 5k.

Rebuilding based on parts and labor would be about 3.5 and change - so not much real savings ...

Turnkey is "easy" but not much fun...
!984 911 Targa
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

Agree.
Do they require a core?
I dont want to add up my receipts on what I actually spent on parts alone. Crying or Very sad Dual carb 1776 can be a great motor if done right.
In the middle is a long block, more fun. You still get to pick carbs and plenty of goodies, more involvement.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

Balmoral1958 wrote:
Its all original .. but not pebble beach ready.. its a keeper - My first car was a beetle but always wanted a Ghia - so not plans to sell any time soon. and I have a '59 beetle as well Smile

Agree re value with/without "original" motor vs hi-po motor.

I did build an engine many years ago but per the comment - their are many nuances.

Looks like a turnkey with dual carbs is around 5k.

Rebuilding based on parts and labor would be about 3.5 and change - so not much real savings ...

Turnkey is "easy" but not much fun...

It depends on how much looking stock is important to you. Very few people look in the engine compartment on VWs. To some running the original engine is a bonus, to others it's meh.
All things being equal a car with matching numbers is always going to be worth more than a car with non numbers matching.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

cost was without core.

A long motor is actually a really good middle... just need to make sure that I have all the bits.

I could keep my current core - if I ever needed it again - much smaller to tuck away

Are forged counter-weighted cranks worth the extra cost??

Webers are getting very expensive though.... must be the Spanish aluminium...
!984 911 Targa
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

I also went on this journey with a 1974. It’s an interesting year as there seem to be less of them out there and they are relatively “unmolested” compared to the older ones. Thus the dilemma to take a 90% stock car and be “that guy”. On the other hand have some perspective... these are not Shelby cobras or 356s and it is your money and time ... have fun and enjoy a beer (it’s part of the vw culture).

Another argument comes in here...1974 was pretty much the peak safety/power for the ghia and edging highway speeds over 70 mph brought a question of handling and realistic performance into play.

Since mine had been (and will continue to be) in the family I decided that at a later date I could get a plug-in crate long block once the rebuild budget recovers. In the meantime I tore it down and dropped it, took it to a local place and had them do a stock rebuild (with Mofoco heads). Got kits for the carb, new points etc. it fired up on the 1st turn (to my surprise actually).

These engines are awesome.

Just sharing my story as I kicked the same question around for months myself.
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

Thanks - fully understand the limitations of these cars!!

I'm going to just bring it back to stock - refresh the engine and transmission.

I'm an Aussie - so beer time always sounds good!!
!984 911 Targa
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 engine upgrade - 1776 Build or buy Reply with quote

Get another engine core to rebuild & build it to your liking. Keep your original to keep with your car and as a backup. This will also shorten downtime if something happens. When/if you sell, you can keep the performance engine if the prospective buyer doesn't see the value in it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: