Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking 2 Cents on Beetle towing / tow bars
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking 2 Cents on Beetle towing / tow bars Reply with quote

hrtm wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their 2 cents, pro and con - it's all much appreciated food for thought!

Worth noting that I already looked into a Uhaul rental and they DO allow the rental of a 2-wheel tow dolly for the Subaru Outback/VW Beetle combination (at least for the 3.0 liter 6cyl motor). I imagine the brake assist on the dolly moves the scales in favor of safety despite the fact that the dolly&VW results in something close to 2,250+lbs which is technically above the Outback's 2,000lb tow limit (w/ brake assist).

Umm, I've never seen a tow dolly with a brake assist.

If you plan on towing with your Subaru, I would strongly advise against adding another 6-800 to the bug by adding the dolly.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking 2 Cents on Beetle towing / tow bars Reply with quote

If there is any question error on the safe side. Rent a bigger
Vehicle.

Geoff
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking 2 Cents on Beetle towing / tow bars Reply with quote

I would not hesitate to make that trip with the Soob towing the beetle. Just pay attention and take it easy.

A couple of tips though. Most beetle tow bars have a sloppy fit around the front beam on the beetle. Strap that shit up tight. Eliminating that play will eliminate that sway. Some folks actually lift the front of the bug slightly and stuff an old tire between the bottom of the pan and the top of the tow bar. This adds some tongue weight and removes some weight off the front wheels. I have never done this, but it seems to be successful for some.

Also, if you don't have an engine in the beetle, either remove the axles (if IRS) or install a clutch disc on the input shaft and wire it solidly in place. You don't want that shaft spinning while driving down the highway. It will flail around and ruin things.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking 2 Cents on Beetle towing / tow bars Reply with quote

you'll be fine, even up the pass. I mean its not like your driving the bug up the pass Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking 2 Cents on Beetle towing / tow bars Reply with quote

wait, 1 1/4 inch hitch? I wouldn't haul anything besides a bike rack. Get a 2 inch and you'll be good...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: