Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Tire Pressure with street tires at Silver Lake?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jake18274
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Front Tire Pressure with street tires at Silver Lake? Reply with quote

Looking for some advice. I am running 24 inch street tires on 15's desert track 14.5 rear this year till I get new fronts. I have run these same tires for the 4th year now and they do as needed so I think at Silver Lake. Desert tracks are new this year excited to run them next week. I air fronts down to 5-6 psi like rears. Is the lower pressure best on the front also or needed. I see most front sand tires like smoothies are rounded so much. Do those get aired down as much? It makes my mind think that maybe I need to air up my fronts more or over inflate? I've only been riding the dunes for four years now and am addicted now and have sunk a lot of cash in my rail? Any suggestion will be Dooley noted and help with my further knowledge. Thank Jake
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are not the tires I use.
superpro56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front Tire Pressure with street tires at Silver Lake? Reply with quote

Smoothies don't get aired down like the rears, and I don't think yours should be run as low as the rears either. The rear tires get aired down so they "float" over the sand rather than dig down and get you stuck. You do want the front tires to dig, so they can steer you out on the sand. I would try running the fronts at 15psi, and see how that works for you. All trial and error really, if you don't like it maybe go to 10psi or if there is some improvement, go up to 20psi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jake18274
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Tire Pressure with street tires at Silver Lake? Reply with quote

Thanks for the Advice Superpro56
that was the direction my thinking was going. going to try 10-15-20 psi and see which works the best. They steering decent at 5-6 psi but my thinking was that would cause some drag on the front end and make it harder to push on take off.
Thank you trial and error it will be. i have no worries now with my new desert explorers. i cant wait till this week is over and i can have some real fun.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Tire Pressure with street tires at Silver Lake? Reply with quote

5psi....front & rear....been duning since 1970 & ALL in VW powered cars !)

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jake18274
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Tire Pressure with street tires at Silver Lake? Reply with quote

Aired them down to 5 for best steering after trial
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: