Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 374, 375, 376 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

FYI: You can make your own penitrating oil by useing equal amount of kerosene and ATF, Automatic Transmissio Fluid. You can substitute acetone for the kerosene, but be careful you could damage the paint with acetone mix.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

• Takes copious notes writing down every detail, then carefully conducting the beginnings of the chemistry, accidentally spills the acetone on the paper dissolving the ink and destroying the notes •

Duly noted!

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

what size ID gas line comes off the barb on a 73 gas tank?
LoveTours415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I hope this stupid question gets me in the right direction... I have a 73 bay window standard, that I want to convert to Automatic. Would an early vanagon automatic transmission work buy just modifying the flywheel?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
what size ID gas line comes off the barb on a 73 gas tank?

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

LoveTours415 wrote:
I hope this stupid question gets me in the right direction... I have a 73 bay window standard, that I want to convert to Automatic. Would an early vanagon automatic transmission work buy just modifying the flywheel?

Welcome!
Here's a collection of swap topics that will get you pointed in the right direction: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello,

I set out to adjust my valves for the first time on my 1973 Westaflia with a type IV engine. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have hydraulic lifters. Below are a few pictures of my valve train, the question is: Are these hydraulic lifters or not. My engine has a CJ code.

ere are a few pictures of my valve train, are these hydraulic or not?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If there is no free play, the solid spacers indicate hydraulic.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I tried rocking them by pushing with my thumb but I couldn't, and when I tried sticking feelers in between it absolutely wouldn't get trough. But at the same time the push rods seem aluminium with a different tip than body - which i've read is one of the indicators that it could be solid...I am very confused
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

With an experienced hand one can feel the difference when adjusting the valves. Back an adjusting screw off and then turn it back in slowly using just your fingers. With hydraulics there will often be a point of soft contact before you get hard contact and the valve begins to open as you turn it further.

Solids will only have the hard contact and it will always be in the same place no matter how many times you try it.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here is a link Tcash posted about lifters.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6617613#6617613
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Pushrod tube seal replacement - I've read so much on them. People use grey permatex non hardening sealant, grease, oil, dry, and even pipe dope.

What do you pro's out there use to seal the o rings?
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Replacing the clutch cable - it is driving me crazy! I cannot figure out how the cable adjustment end fits through the tiny holes in the rubber boot covers - I've tried pushing them it through, I've tried to screw it on and through, I don't want to risk enlarging the hole and ripping the boots.

How do you do this? The boots do go over the end of the tube correct?

I'd love to know how anyone gets this done in 30 minutes!

Thanks in advance,
Kent WI

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
Pushrod tube seal replacement - I've read so much on them. People use grey permatex non hardening sealant, grease, oil, dry, and even pipe dope.

I have always used a nice synthetic grease - Super Lube is a good choice.

Gooping additional sealants on an o-ring makes little sense to me. That's more of a hack to get you home than it is best practice. Wink

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:

You don't need any sealant beyond engine oil as that is what is going to lube them in the long run anyway. Pipe dope will make them go together easier and thus reduce the chance of the o-rings being pinched and or cut as you slip the tubes into place. Other things may work as well or better than pipe dope, but none that I have tried have done as well.
Jamminator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Good morning all!

I'm about to take by 70 camper on a 2-week trip through the coast and woods of Maine.
http://jamieflorio.wixsite.com/brunosworld

I've done a lot to "Bruno", but there's one thing I've not figured out...my dash light is out. Where is that bulb?? anyone know?
thanks - Jamie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jamminator wrote:
Good morning all!

I'm about to take by 70 camper on a 2-week trip through the coast and woods of Maine.

I've done a lot to "Bruno", but there's one thing I've not figured out...my dash light is out. Where is that bulb?? anyone know?
thanks - Jamie

There's plenty of lights in the dash, could you be more specific?

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If an early bay dash is the same as a late bay, it requires unscrewing the instrument cluster, unscrewing the speedometer cable from the cluster, then finally replacing the bulb. Take care removing the four screws holding the cluster, as each screw has a clip that will fall off and get lost.
Then to reinstall, reattach the speedo cable, partially screw the clips back on, then "pop" the cluster into place. The clips are made to hold it in place using spring tension.
Also be very careful not to let any wires come loose while removing the cluster. It's a rats nest of wires back there.
Good luck!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jamminator wrote:
Good morning all!

thanks - Jamie

You could have a bad headlight switch or you could have a bad ground to the dash cluster. You can get at some of the bulbs by reaching up behind the dash.
Jamminator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks all!

I have dug around under the dash a bit in the rat's nest for the bulb- I just couldn't find it.

All the idiot lights work just not the illumination light. I haven't popped off the instrument cluster - I was hoping to avoid that. I will have to do that!

thanks - Jamie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 374, 375, 376 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 375 of 515

Jump to: