Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV flange plug - damage
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OffUrRocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

What causes this to happen? Both sides were this way.
Rail is rarely off road. Type 1 IRS transmission with bus CVs and 3x3 arms.
What do I check to make sure it doesn't happen again now that I'm replacing them?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

Axle length

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

Or no clip on the inner....should have at least 2 clips on one side so the axle doesn't slam into cover.empi strikes again!!!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

Allowing the axles to float in the CV is an Ok idea, but you need to do something about that. Perhaps assemble it with no torsion bars and see if the axle is too long or how much it needs to slide in and out, may need to shorten it or not. I have no way to guess.
Once you get that figured, maybe put a locking collar on the axle so it cannot travel too far inwards and hit that seal as it has been doing.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

Those caps appear to also be bulged out, like they are getting pushed by the output shafts then cut by the axle shafts. Are the flange retaining clips in place? Is there excessive pinion play?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Those caps appear to also be bulged out, like they are getting pushed by the output shafts then cut by the axle shafts. Are the flange retaining clips in place? Is there excessive pinion play?

Yes.....that......I cannot remember if type 1 and 3 trans have one.....but if there is supposed to be a spacer ring behind/between the output shaft flange and the face of the differential on each side like there are in the 091 and 004 (I think the 002 as well).....if that spacer ring is missing....there will be too much in/out movement of the CV hub on the output shaft splines and it will hammer the caps. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

Yes, they are suppose to have the spacers.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

my empi axles don't have a groove for the inner circlip . I had the same issue with the seals and after some " google "research found out it is common in offroaders with a lot of suspension travel . some people don't run the seals but just use a good amount of sealant like ultragrey etc .

What I have tried is locating the small end of the CV boot on the axle so it will assist in pushing the axle away from the gear box ,in other words ,bunch up the gearbox side and pull out the wheel side ,you don't need much to make the axle want to move away from the box.
If they rub on the stub axle and I have to tidy up the splines to remove the CV's thats easy to deal with .

make sure you have the correct size axles as well.
OffUrRocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

I reevaluated the caps and there doesn't appear to be any bulging out at all, if anything there is a slight recess.

There is no play in and out on the flange at all.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

If you ever get a trans (irs) built for offroad, you will not get caps there, only a generous amount of rtv silicone. Never use those caps in an off road application.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
OffUrRocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CV flange plug - damage Reply with quote

So I can't even get the right axle out, that's how tight it is.
Removed the cv from both ends and there isn't enough room to pull it completely out with the suspension all the way extended.

My guess is the axles are too long.
Measured from drive flange plug to deepest part of cv bowl:
Left 20 7/8”
Right 20 3/8”

What is the maximum and minimum tolerance for axle play side to side?

Can I just have a machine shop shorten these that I have?

Current axles appear to be sway-away axles 20 1/4” long.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: