Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hummer body
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Marconi wrote:
Have you considered doing a mild build up of a Suzuki Samurai? They can be made quite capable without breaking the bank.

Yes, they can, but they are more tippy and top-heavy than a dune buggy or a Jeep, and they are very flimsy. I'm gonna take a lot of heat here on a VW site for saying this, but instead of doing a Suzuki Samurai for off-road, try a Ford Bronco II, an Isuzu Trooper, a 70s or 80s Subaru station wagon or a Chevy S-10 Blazer. Those are off-road capable, rugged and often inexpensive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tony Marconi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

34FraserNash wrote:
Tony Marconi wrote:
Have you considered doing a mild build up of a Suzuki Samurai? They can be made quite capable without breaking the bank.

Yes, they can, but they are more tippy and top-heavy than a dune buggy or a Jeep, and they are very flimsy. I'm gonna take a lot of heat here on a VW site for saying this, but instead of doing a Suzuki Samurai for off-road, try a Ford Bronco II, an Isuzu Trooper, a 70s or 80s Subaru station wagon or a Chevy S-10 Blazer. Those are off-road capable, rugged and often inexpensive.

I suggested Samurai because he wanted small and light. They are flimsy in stock form but can be strengthened easily. If he just wants something to beat on offroad, you can't beat an old Jeep YJ.
budski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Hummer vs Humvee vs HummBug vs Wombat Reply with quote

The July 2009 Kit Car magazine article that Glasser referred to was about a “HummBug”, not a “Humvee”, the “HummBug” was the forerunner of the “Wombat”, who’s name grew out of some litigation between the Wombat Car Company and Hummer, hence the replacement of the 7 louver grill with the 2 horizontal louver grill and the change in name, which seemed to settle their differences.

I purchased the Wombat that was advertised here on Samba back in October, and I can say with certainty that it was in no way associated with the “Humvee” from JPS Motor Sports that drclock said was total junk; I am totally impressed with it!

Although I have owned several dune buggy’s, I usually try to stick with military vehicles, my latest purchases being a 1973 Pinzgauer imported from the Swiss Army (surplus) a few years ago, and the purchase of a Tomcar last year, which is an Israeli boarder patrol vehicle. I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of the Wombat because it is the “only” non-military vehicle that I have ever seen whose quality compares to a military vehicle.

Having said that, and gone way beyond the introduction I had planned for my first post on Samba, if any of you have any suggestions on the best way to convert the highway prepared Wombat I purchased to a mid-travel type suspension, something for more like running the back trails of the Sierra’s versus the Rubicon or sand dunes, I would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Here is the link to my post.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4989540&highlight=wombat#4989540
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Off Road Forum is really the best source of information comparing the benefits of various components available to upgrade the suspension travel.

With the limits of a ball joint suspension and the strength of a VW chassis, I think a Thing front beam and 2 X 2 trailing arms with 924 CVs, axles and Thing drive flanges would fit/work.

Unless you want to cut holes in the body, you'll need swing arms with shock mounts in the stock location. This thread shows how you can do it with aftermarket trailing arms.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4815554
budski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Repost to Off Road Forum Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
“I think the Off Road Forum is really the best source of information comparing the benefits of various components available to upgrade the suspension travel.”

Thanks BL. Is there some sort of special protocol for reposting my question on the Off Road Forum or do I simply start all over again?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just start a post in the other forum.
If this one wasnt 2 pages long already, I would just move it.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonyblevins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: hummer body Reply with quote

Here's mine and I love it !
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: