Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Here's some comparison between the 1985 VW Vanagon and the 1982 Audi 5000 Turbo automatic transmissions. You can click on each photo and it should enlarge in a separate window, giving you the benefit of greater detail.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've removed the paper gaskets and the outer plate to expose the reverse planetary ring gear. The Audi ring gear hub sits a bit proud and is designed for a 087 differential, so it is useless; I'll have to buy the proper hub from German Transaxle, part number 090 323 370, for a 26 tooth double sun gear.

Hello Kourt
The photo of the 1985 shows the same part # 090 323 370 already installed. Why do you need to buy it if you could have just used the part from the 1985?

I'm asking because I'm just starting the rebuild on my wife's 1991 Carat and am tearing down a transmission from a 1984 Audi 5000T

Cheers
Gruppe B
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Here's some comparison between the 1985 VW Vanagon and the 1982 Audi 5000 Turbo automatic transmissions. You can click on each photo and it should enlarge in a separate window, giving you the benefit of greater detail.

I've removed the paper gaskets and the outer plate to expose the reverse planetary ring gear. The Audi ring gear hub sits a bit proud and is designed for a 087 differential, so it is useless; I'll have to buy the proper hub from German Transaxle, part number 090 323 370, for a 26 tooth double sun gear.

Hello Kourt
The photo of the 1985 shows the same part # 090 323 370 already installed. Why do you need to buy it if you could have just used the part from the 1985?

I'm asking because I'm just starting the rebuild on my wife's 1991 Carat and am tearing down a transmission from a 1984 Audi 5000T

Cheers
Gruppe B
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Howdy,

The 1985 Vanagon shows 090 323 373, which will not mate with Audi 5000 internals. That's why you have to buy the named ring gear.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Let's build our Vanagon automatic transmission with Audi 5000 Turbo internals.

Step 5: Decide which direct drum you wish to use. On the basis of available replacement parts and future availability, the Vanagon direct drum is most suitable. It accepts 17 tooth steels. The Audi 5000 Turbo direct drum accepts 53 tooth steels that are no longer available. Do not buy the 087 53 tooth steels and think they will fit--they won't. The Audi drum has heat tempered steel ears. It will accept the 17 tooth steels for the Vanagon drum, or you can reuse the original 53 tooth steels if they are in good condition.

kourt

Correction (When using the LATER Audi 5000T transmission),
If building a 5000T enhanced transmission you must use the Audi 5000T direct drum because the Turbo Shell will not connect to the Vanagon direct drum.

Above is a photo of the Audi 5000T direct drum and 5000T shell connected together

Above is a photo of the Audi 5000T direct drum and the Vanagon shell that cannot connect. The Vanagon direct drum and shell is narrower on the outside preventing using the Vanagon direct drum from being compatible with the Audi upgrade.

None of the Vanagon frictions and steels will work with the later Audi 5000T direct drum as they are larger. I reused the 5000T frictions as I didn't order them.
You will also have to use the Audi 5000T 2nd gear brake band piston as the rod that goes to the brake band is shorter to compensate for the larger direct drum.

Vanagon brake band piston on left 1984 Audi 5000T on right

No criticism Kourt, your 1982 5000T is just different than the 1984 5000T that I am using. This thread is absolutely incredible, I'm just adding addition info where I can.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Assembly complete!
Wish me luck tomorrow when the transmission goes back in the Carat Laughing

So much to learn, trying very hard not to screw up and reading endless threads on all parts of the transmission

Thanks again Kourt and all other posters for your hard work documenting all of this
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Thanks for documenting this!

My turbo transaxle is running strong, 20,000 miles later.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Reading through this thread planning the rebuild of my 1987 Auto.

Kourt - any insight into the 1987 Audi 5000 Turbo Automatic? It looks like most documented here are earlier models (85 and earlier). I imagine no issue going with the 87, but just curious.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Looks like the best source for rebuilding a solid automatic out there.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Howdy,

I can only assume that, as long as it has not been swapped sometime in its life, that 87 Audi turbo automatic should have the internals to beef up a Vanagon automatic. Give it a shot. Everything you need should be in this thread.

Good luck; keep us posted.

kourt
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Howdy,

I can only assume that, as long as it has not been swapped sometime in its life, that 87 Audi turbo automatic should have the internals to beef up a Vanagon automatic. Give it a shot. Everything you need should be in this thread.

Good luck; keep us posted.

kourt

Thanks Kourt. I just finished doing my 2.0ABA motor swap, and low and behold the trans went out shortly after. Rebuilding a motor for the first time was fun. Rebuilding an automatic transmission should be great fun as well Smile
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Let's build our Vanagon automatic transmission with Audi 5000 Turbo internals.

This post can also be used to guide the rebuild of a normal Vanagon automatic transmission.

Parts list:
Master rebuild kit for Vanagon 090
(available from various vendors)
Makco Transmission Parts (they ship a Transtar 090 Vanagon kit with standard duty steels and frictions)
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/65006D.html
This is a good kit with basically everything you would need to rebuild one transaxle, except for pistons, brake band, and return spring. The kit contains enough extra steels and frictions to rebuild the forward drum to the Audi 5000 Turbo specifications. These kits come with Alto or Exedy frictions, and Raybestos or generic steels. For all transmissions, the steels are the same thickness, but the thicker frictions are to be installed in the direct/reverse drum. The thinner frictions are installed in the forward drum. I like this kit because it also contains a cork differential pan gasket (a really good gasket for bent or rusty differential pans) and a torque converter seal that is metal-clad on its outside diameter, which provides a more snug fit and reduces the chance of failure.

I would also buy a new return spring from Makco:
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A65974A.html

Pistons, band, and Raybestos frictions from http://wittrans.com:
Qty 4, Part # 65106, Friction, 010/087/089/090 Direct Clutch (.090" ) (4.75" OD) 1975-Up (Raybestos)
Qty 5, Part # 65106B, Friction, 010/087/089/090 Forward Clutch (.061" )(4.75" OD)(W/1 Tooth Missing) 1975-Up (Raybestos)
Qty 1, Part # N65022, BAND, 010,087,089,090
Qty 1, Part # A65962A, Piston, 010/087/089/090 1st Interm Clu(W/Checkk Ball)(Molded Rubber) 1983-91
Qty 1, Part # A65965, Piston, 010/087/089/090 Direct Clutch
Qty1, Part # A65964, Piston, 010/087/089/090 Forward Clutch (Molded Rubber) 1975-91

Many people prefer the Raybestos brand frictions, so I'm listing those here, plus a good source for pistons and the brake band.

The 2nd gear brake band piston should simply be regasketed and reinstalled. Gaskets are provided in the Makco master rebuild kit listed above.

The valve body for the Vanagon is suitable. The accumulator piston can either be steel (Audi) or plastic (Vanagon).

Kourt - if I understand your shopping list post correctly, these parts could be used to either A) Rebuild the stock vanagon transmission, or B) to rebuild the 5000 turbo internals to be used in a Vanagon transmission housing. Is this correct?

Also, any updates to this list from when it was assembled 3 years ago?
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

you can still get the pistons at a closeout price if you look
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VW-010-Piston-Kit-W-Bleed-Valve-K79971A/291872699584
$35/shipped NEW VW: 010 Piston Kit W/Bleed Valve K79971A

Quote:
NEW VW: 010 Piston Kit with Low/Reverse (w/ Bleed Valve) 3 pcs K79971A

Includes:

VW010: Low/Reverse (w/ Bleed Valve) Piston
VW010: Forward Piston
VW010: Direct Piston

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Dan. At this point I'm trying to decide if I want to just rebuild the Vanagon trans or do the 5000T upgrade.

Looks like about $300 worth of rebuild parts, and the only 5000t transmission I have found thus far is another $300.

Worth the extra $300? Probably.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

$300 for a 5000T transmission is a good price.
they didn't make all too many of those cars in 2wd turbo automatic.
then you have to find one that didn't just get crushed..

I'd buy it up for $300.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
$300 for a 5000T transmission is a good price.
they didn't make all too many of those cars in 2wd turbo automatic.
then you have to find one that didn't just get crushed..

I'd buy it up for $300.

Thanks for the input. I thought the price sounded reasonable as well. It's not too far from me either, and the car is definitely not crushed.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Howdy,

The Vanagon 090 Master rebuild kits sold by Makco and others will cover most of the necessary parts. Those kits will always have more parts than is necessary--they put a few extra bits in them to cover variances.

I wanted to build the highest grade possible, so I found Raybestos frictions and steels at Wittrans.com, and they also had some special parts to build up the Audi Turbo transmission drums. I think I documented all that in my rebuild post.

I have driven the turbo-enhanced Vanagon automatic transaxle over 25,000 miles since the rebuild with no problems. That includes several trips to the mountain west, climbing passes with four guys and all our mountaineering gear, in the summer. Hard and fast driving. I dropped the AT oil pan last winter and found no artifacts in the filter, which was another good sign.

I've been very pleased with the rebuild. Also--no leaks!

kourt
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Woohoo!
Turbo upgrade transmission rebuild has been a resounding success. Thanks again Kourt for creating this thread, it guided me through the whole process and allowed me to successfully rebuild and upgrade the transmission.

I'll update some additional information that I found with the later 5000Turbo transmission (1984+). Definitely worth the extra work.

Thanks again Kourt, I owe you some beer
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
Reading through this thread planning the rebuild of my 1987 Auto.

Kourt - any insight into the 1987 Audi 5000 Turbo Automatic? It looks like most documented here are earlier models (85 and earlier). I imagine no issue going with the 87, but just curious.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Looks like the best source for rebuilding a solid automatic out there.

The 87 is an easier Transmission to use for the swap and has even bigger internal frictions for the 5000turbo direct drum which will be used. You will also not have to buy a specific ring gear hub that Kourt needed for the 82 Turbo as the Vanagon ring gear hub is a direct swap with the later 5000Turbo Transmission. I'll post up the photos this weekend showing what I'm trying to describe Laughing
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Aloha!

Keep in my if you guys need for a complete rebuild, I have brand new stainless steel separation plates for the VW010 valve body FFB , FBP and FF and the plastic thrust washers 010323161A for sale in the classifieds VW Logo

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2186917

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2136289

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

So in this swap/upgrade doesn't the gear ratios change to that of the Audi 5000T?

From what I could tell on the webs, the 5000 has a 2.55:1 first gear whereas the Vanagon's first is 2.71:1

I, for one, prefer the lower gear ratio (higher numerically for those that get confused about this)

This is likely the only reason that I might not upgrade to the 5000 bits.

However, I have a high mileage van that is getting an ABA swap and thought beefing up the trans might be a good idea since I am thinking about a mild turbo build once I get the van up and running.

For those that do mildly technical stuff in their 2wd van the lower gear ratio would be better.

Maybe with a fair bit more horsepower and a properly cooled auto trans the differences in gear ratios would be hardly noticeable.
However, it is my opinion that good gearing is the only real solution for control on technical terrain no matter how much HP or TQ you have.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

only the R&Ps differ between the Automatics..
that impacts the final gear ratios.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 33

Jump to: