Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 sunroof weld shut?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

Ive got a 66 with a leaky sunroof. I am seariously debating about welding it shut. Yay or nay? Another idea i had was using bondo to seal the roof shut so it could be undone later if desired.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

Steel sunroof cars are desirable, fix it the correct way by getting the proper seals or sell the car off for a hard top.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

burner208 wrote:
Ive got a 66 with a leaky sunroof. I am seariously debating about welding it shut. Yay or nay? Another idea i had was using bondo to seal the roof shut so it could be undone later if desired.

Both of your proposed solutions are poor choices in my opinion. I'd echo the sentiment to fix it or sell it to somebody who will.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

The felt seal is a wind/noise deterrent, not a water-tight seal. Your drains may be plugged. Search on this and see if you can get them free flowing, perhaps replacing the stubby plastic hoses connecting their segments in the A and C pillars. Sounds like work, but it's less than hacking it shut.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

Fix it! Do some research to determine why you are getting water into your car and find the solution. I can almost guarantee you that someone else had the same problem and would be more than happy to share the solution to the problem. most likely there is a thread already on here with the detailed fix.

Fix it properly or sell it on, or try to do a trade but don't go through more hassle to turn it into a hardtop when the fix is probably easier.

Just my 2 cents though.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

The drains are probably clogged or undone. My '64 was missing the felt seals around the edge and it never leaked. Permanantly closing it is a bad idea.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

burner208 wrote:
Ive got a 66 with a leaky sunroof.

Do yourself a favor . . . before attempting a repair . . . on anything . . . first learn about it so that you know what you should do to do a proper repair. The VW repair manual uses several chapters in each section to explain their design and the proper operation.

In the case of steel sliding sunroofs . . . brand new from the factory they would ALL LEAK!!!!!!! The drains prevented the water from getting inside the car.
This is the same thing that happens with your door glass, so clean the drain in the bottom of your doors instead of welding sheet metal over the window openings!
As KTPhil points out . . . the sunroof has dust/debris delfectors . . . NOT seals!

The only way to prevent water from splashing into the cars interior . . . CLEAN DRAINS!

If you do not desire an opening sunroof, fine . . . clean the drain tubes and then leave to top closed. Wink
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

burner208 wrote:

NAY to both weld and Bondo. Fix the leaky or clogged drains. you can search both this forum and the later Bug forum for how to fix, it maybe be as simple as blowing out the drain tubes The later forum covers more steel sunroof year models than this forum, so do a search of both forums to get the best advice Dont ream the drain tubing with a coat hanger wires, use something more flexible, a stiff wire can tear the tubing, then you got a bigger problem, the drain tubes must be treated delicate like.

Bug On, Nice and Dry Inside!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

Thruthfully id trade it for a small window bug.

I also have a issue with one cor er of the sun roof not raising in to place. I assume thats a cable problem?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 66 sunroof weld shut? Reply with quote

Stop whining about it, it's time to fix your sunroof Laughing
Nice car by the way Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: