Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

90s AZ vw scene
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekbaehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrown45 wrote:
derekbaehr wrote:
mikegamblin wrote:
I had a blue & white 63 1835 dp that I cruised around in Phoenix on the west side of town in the late 80's early 90's. I have to find some pictures but I too was rocking' that white Hawaiian window rubber from Station 1! One piece windows, white roof rack, white fender beading.. I miss that car, but only cuz that's the car that I learned all my VW hard knocks from. It sat in a storage facility while I was in the army with no engine. Over time, more and more stuff would show up missing off of it until I sold it for 800.00 in 2000.

i vaguely remember that bug. sounds really familiar. did you ever cruise central or mill?

wbrown45 wrote:
I used to work at Karl's Custom from 1987-1990, 1994-1998. I had a dove grey Baja that I drove everywhere (it is my son's now). That was a pretty golden age for the VW street scene IMHO.

i got alot of parts from karls. which one did you work at? i used to go to the one in mesa. and i agree. that was a golden age. cruising mill, central, sometimes down to metrocenter.

I used to work at both stores. I guess you could call me a floater! Wink

i am sure you prolly sold me some parts, or saw my car in the mesa location at some point. i guess they both closed. i haven't been by mesa in a while, but the one on indian school is closed.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekbaehr wrote:
j8bug wrote:
derekbaehr wrote:
welllll alas. its tax season. thinking very seriously about jumping back into the scene. its either that or building a bobber motorcycle. convince me to get a veedub!

What is a bobber motorcycle?

this is a good site: http://www.xs650chopper.com/

basically kinda like a chopper, but without the stretched forks. usually hard tail, low seat, low handle bars.

Pretty cool stuff. Gotta go with what you are passionate about...You lived the hey days in Az I lived the heydays in Cali. If I was too tell you the V-dub scene is good in Az you would know in an instant Im blowing smoke up your ass. But if you follow your passions and you find yourself doing your own thing at least you will be happy about what you are doing. MY 2 CENTS..
Jalopywgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekbaehr wrote:
j8bug wrote:
derekbaehr wrote:
welllll alas. its tax season. thinking very seriously about jumping back into the scene. its either that or building a bobber motorcycle. convince me to get a veedub!

What is a bobber motorcycle?

this is a good site: http://www.xs650chopper.com/

basically kinda like a chopper, but without the stretched forks. usually hard tail, low seat, low handle bars.

That's funny because I am into bobbers as well. I ride a 76 Honda CB360 that I fully restored and was actually turning a 73 Honda xl250 into a bobber. I just got back into VW's. I had a 72 bug when I was in high school up in StJohns in the late 80's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63VW115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: A 56 convert Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I was Tim Ransom's first employee, back in 1971 (Tim Ransom Import Automotive) when it was at 25th Street and Jackson.

Do you remember a babu blue 56 convert ? he bought it from me in 1976 for 1200 $$]
oldsouls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body for the Vans off the wall racer was in Phx about a year ago. I think it was raced in the 90's but not certain. It was kool to see either way.
NOTAHONDA
Vegas Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 90s AZ vw scene Reply with quote

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOTAHONDA
Vegas Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 90s AZ vw scene Reply with quote

I lived in East Mesa, went to Red Mountain in 1996 and drove a slammed 13 window. I don't have pics but I do have pics of my first bug, a turquoise 1970 with a Karl's built 1915cc. The white oval was my dads. He drove it daily to Brown & Brown Chevy in Mesa. He also had a 69 black vert lowered on 8 spokes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
21junkstreet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 90s AZ vw scene Reply with quote

I'm from Memphis, Tn. We took a family vacation to Az about 1992 or 93. I was about 16 at the time. I had a 73 beetle. I had subscription to hotVWs and VW trends at the time. What I remember from that trip not only the beauty of the land, was the cars! Not just VWs but cool stuff everywhere! We went to some mining town and there was a beat up lowlight Ghia in a driveway. We went to Tombstone and there was a straight white 62 or 63 beetle ragtop parked on the side of the road. We stopped at an ABco supermarket and there was a bullnose type 3, yellow, lowered on polished 914 2.0 litre wheels. I've got a picture of that car somewhere, probably at my mom's house. Anyone remember that car? I don't remember where I was. Phoenix maybe or Tucson. I remember at the time saying to myself, I wish I lived in Arizona because there's nothing like this in Tennessee.
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 90s AZ vw scene Reply with quote

Anyone remember this car? It was built by my dad Kevin potter in the late 90s and was featured in vw trends. Apparently my dad was one of the go to Volkswagen guys in Arizona in the 80s
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsouls wrote:
The body for the Vans off the wall racer was in Phx about a year ago. I think it was raced in the 90's but not certain. It was kool to see either way.

I realize this is an old post but that's my old car, I'd love to find it. PM me if you have seen it. Thanks

As far as the Phoenix scene went, early 80's to about 92 were crazy for vdubs, metro was packed for a few years, like 82 - 85 and we'd race on 25th Ave from the canal back towards Peoria. After that Central was big, always parked at the old McDonalds in the car hop spots, occasionally we'd head to South Central to check out the lowriders, Mill to check out the chicks or Main St. to see if any East side guys would race, I had a white Baja back then with stripes on the back, fun car, burned up around 85. I built an oval from the parts I could salvage, bought everything else from Ben & Paul at Station 1, still see those guys once in a while. Cruzing kind of morphed into street racing for me after I finish my oval, we'd still hit Central & later the Pavillions in Scottsdale to try to set stuff up but most of the racing would happen up North. Got out of bug scene in the early 90's but paid the bills street racing my oval and later a vette I built. Fun time
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 90s AZ vw scene Reply with quote

Wow, just noticed this thread. I cruised metro and Central from 83 to whenever they closed it all down. Started with my red 69 baja convertible and after a ground up rebuild it was black, plus all the other cars I had.

I remember getting all my stuff at BAP until I discovered Paul at Station 1, I still have the engraved Station 1 valve covers!

What a blast from the past!

P.S. current avatar is not the bug I had back then,just picked this one up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: