Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Sorry Hans, unless we're talking about a huge corporation, I learned a very long time ago in my business to not reveal details like that online.

Both parties are happy with our agreement. If it hadn't worked out, I'd mention it out of regard for other bus owners.

Thanks.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Hmmm...this thread leaves the rest of us with blueish orbs dangling

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Glad to read you have the situation under control
Open invite, although it's a bit chilli here right now, we don't need the AC on at night now
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Appreciate that, Mark!

(Edit: PM sent yesterday) Smile

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I want to let everyone know that in the end, GoWesty has stood behind their products, and has boosted our trust and respect to an elevated level.

We all know the challenges that come with innovation, and the frustrations affecting us all when there's issues. Sometimes our personal situations can also have our anger overcoming our reason, and I can be guilty of that for details I needn't say here.

So though I'm as outspoken as anyone in my interests of making sure our vendors stay true to us -- so we can be true to them -- in this case all is good now.

I sincerely applaud GoWesty for being reasonable in understanding that things go wrong in business at times, and we need to look out for each other for the good of our community.

Well Done, GW!

I buy from GW and continue to buy from them even after my spring issues... they have some great products but i was just not satisfied with my springs. looking back at my e-mails from 2 years ago i should say that they did try to rectify the the situation and i chose to keep the springs rather than remove and return them.

GW offered to replace them with a new set, or a refund. but at this point i couldn't be bothered.

Last edited by dschaftlein on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Another datapoint - had 2" GW lift springs with bilsteins on my 2wd westy and HATED them, way too soft and van dove very hard on braking.

My next ride was a syncro with OME shocks and stock springs, night and day difference. Not a perfect comparison but I would extrapolate that the stiffer Schwenk springs with OME shocks may be just the ticket for you
TaylorGrant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

All GoWesty suspension springs employ the very latest design principles, high-tech manufacturing processes, and high-quality materials. Each spring goes through rigorous inspection and testing processes and is compressed (stressed) beyond the point to which it will ever be compressed in-vehicle to verify it meets the specification of the design. Any spring that does not pass this test is discarded. However, no manufacturing process is perfect, and that includes the process of making our springs. It is impossible to inspect and test every inch of the tens of thousands of inches of steel we use before being wound into a spring and installed on a vehicle. Every so often, a spring can and will fail.

As most of you know, every manufactured item the world over can be expected to have a failure rate of some kind. We have sold literally thousands of suspension springs with a 99% success rate. Still, 1% of one thousand is 10 springs. The number of failures we have experienced are enough to generate conversation. But, in reality, our success rate is almost perfect.

This is what we want everybody to know about GoWesty suspension springs:

• Our springs are manufactured in the USA by a premier spring manufacturer that has been around since 1896. These folks know how to make quality springs!

• Each spring is compressed (set/released) to a height shorter than it can be compressed in the vehicle—and is, therefore, designed never to take a permanent set or “sag.”

• Our springs are covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty. They are guaranteed never to sag, period.

• Our springs also have a 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are dissatisfied with them for any reason, just send them back for a 100% refund.

• If even one of our springs sags, or becomes defective in any way, we will replace the entire set or refund your money. No questions asked.

• If the returned spring(s) is/are determined to be defective, we will also reimburse you for the initial installation labor. We will also pay for the spring(s) to be returned to the manufacturer for thorough testing to determine why it happened.

GoWesty has, and always will, put our best foot forward when faced with a potentially-defective coil spring—or any product for that matter. It is in our best interests and, of course, the best interests of the VW community at large. Remember, if you ever experience an issue with a GoWesty product, reach out to us promptly and directly. We simply cannot help until we are aware of the issue. Once we are aware, we can begin the careful process of determining what the exact issue is, and how best to remedy it.

Thanks for reading, and safe vannin’ to all.

Taylor Grant
VP GoWesty

Last edited by TaylorGrant on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Wow!
That IS amazing.
I know I'm a lucky guy, but to have 6 out of 6 sag out (3 sets, I'm assuming that's 1 in a thousand per spring since there is no left or right specific spring), so the odds of that happening were, let's see.... one in 1,000 × 1,000 × 1,000 × 1,000 × 1,000 × 1000.
That's like one in a trillion x a million.
I don't even know what that number is.
Whew!
Now THAT right there is bucking some pretty tall odds.
Thanks for making my day.
Peace.
I love Gowesty.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
TaylorGrant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Levi, I would like to review your account to see what officially transpired between yourself and GoWesty with regards to your claim. Please PM me your full name so I can look into it. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

TaylorGrant wrote:

This is what we want everybody to know about GoWesty suspension springs:

Taylor, thanks for being willing to insert GoWesty's official stance on springs into this thread.

I didn't realize you offered a lifetime warranty against sagging. It makes me feel better about the two sets I have.
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Applause to the folks at GoWesty
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

So, I've looked back at my e-mails with go westy regarding my spring issues. I want to give the straight story here.

We agreed that the springs were installed correctly and they did offer to replace them or ship them back for a refund. which is awesome!

At that point I decided it was too much effort to return them and decided shim the rear up to match the front (the front ride height was 18" on these zero lift springs which was higher than i wanted). They sent me the appropriate spacers at no charge and i shimmed the rear up to 18".

obviously there was an issue of some sort with these springs and they did offer solutions and I made the decision to keep them.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I want to let everyone know that in the end, GoWesty has stood behind their products, and has boosted our trust and respect to an elevated level.

We all know the challenges that come with innovation, and the frustrations affecting us all when there's issues. Sometimes our personal situations can also have our anger overcoming our reason, and I can be guilty of that for details I needn't say here.

So though I'm as outspoken as anyone in my interests of making sure our vendors stay true to us -- so we can be true to them -- in this case all is good now.

I sincerely applaud GoWesty for being reasonable in understanding that things go wrong in business at times, and we need to look out for each other for the good of our community.

Well Done, GW!

FWIW, I’ve had a few product issues with GW, a few minor and nearly trivial, and one notable safety issue. In all cases GW has provided great service in that they listened to my concerns, helped me problem-solve and delivered a solution that was as good or better than expected. Regarding the most recent issue I came away more committed to supporting GW than I was before. They’re not perfect but they’re darn good and demonstrate care and respect for their customer. Easily better than most in the retail world.

Well done, GW!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

Well Done, GW!

I was hoping that I could get an update on this thread. So how did things go?

Since we both have similar weight vans ( I think I'm at 5000 ) I'm curious what springs you decided to go with.

Peace and good travels....
gonna see life my way

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Wow, that sounds heavy. I think you should roll it over a scale. Find a nearby landfill or truck stop, and some other places of business (trucking businesses) will also have a scale.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

levi wrote:
E1 wrote:

Well Done, GW!

Since we both have similar weight vans ( I think I'm at 5000 ) I'm curious what springs you decided to go with.

Hello Levi, UPDATE:
We bailed. It would have cost us over $500 Labor to "warranty" failed springs, so we decided to live with them.

The only reason the bus needed work at all is because of the GW lift springs sagging almost immediately. I've read and been told of this time and again, but sadly the research I'd done in advance was likely too minimal as I trusted GW and the installing shop.

Our van is at GVWR, and most users by far have no idea what their vans weigh, so my take is installers need to understand a rig before simply installing parts, and manufacturers need to make product limits clearer to their sellers -- especially on items related to handling and safety.

It is clear from many similar complaints that I've read and heard that issues exist with the GW lift springs -- or perhaps they aren't applicable to a heavier Westy like so many users run. That'd sure been nicer to know last March.

— Colin Chapman
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

So if I'm understanding correctly, gowesty is unwilling to pay for the labor aspect of replacing the springs?

Are they still willing to refund your purchase price of the springs themselves?

I certainly hope so, since it DID say on their website that these springs have a lifetime guarantee AGAINST sagging!

So then, I fully understand the ongoing financial strain of maintaining a rig like ours when you're constantly on the road.
If you still want to switch out those springs ( or simply have to because of severe sag ) and you're unable to for whatever the reason, maybe a samba member can help out.

I know you're traveling, if you had another set of front springs with you and are in the Vegas area I'd be way more than happy to make the swap out for you, and then you could could return the sagged-out spring set to gowesty for a refund.

Last I heard the moog set was going for 50 bucks from any autozone type of place, and you could actually put a couple bucks into your pocket or break even on the deal.
I have all the tools necessary, all I'd need is another set of springs to go in.
Or maybe wherever you are a samba member would be willing to do the same.

Just an idea. Very Happy
Btw, I don't think I'd want to do this when it's 117 here. Wink
gonna see life my way

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
levi wrote:
E1 wrote:

Well Done, GW!

Hello Levi, UPDATE:
We bailed. It would have cost us over $500 Labor to "warranty" failed springs, so we decided to live with them.

The only reason the bus needed work at all is because of the GW lift springs sagging almost immediately. I've read and been told of this time and again, but sadly the research I'd done in advance was likely too minimal as I trusted GW and the installing shop.

Our van is at GVWR, and most users by far have no idea what their vans weigh, so my take is installers need to understand a rig before simply installing parts, and manufacturers need to make product limits clearer to their sellers -- especially on items related to handling and safety.

It is clear from many similar complaints that I've read and heard that issues exist with the GW lift springs -- or perhaps they aren't applicable to a heavier Westy like so many users run. That'd sure been nicer to know last March.

FWIW, Christopher has said that it is NOT simply because of the weight of the van that these springs have sagged out, rather its because of the manufacturing process.

What IS your axle to bottom of the fender lip dimension?
gonna see life my way

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

Also can you tell us your current location and where you might be headed in the near future?
gonna see life my way

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stiffer 2WD Suspension Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

E1- I read this thread before, then you pm’d me and I just out the two together. I can help out with swapping the springs, and I even have a full 2wd stock spring setup in hand to “float” you while you deal with gowesty;)

Looking forward to our chat!

(For those watching, he is coming out of the Boise directional area (insure of actual location) into Portland last I heard.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: