Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
urquattro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

Hi everybody, it is a pleasure to be a member of this forum, I am an owner of a 91 Syncro Caravelle GL, firstly I would like to apologies because I'm still learning English.

I have owned the syncro around 10 years, in that time I've swapped the motor, she had a 1.6 TD from factory and now she is running with a AHU TDI remapped, I've also put "16 rims with 215/80 16 to be able to increase the gear ratio, I also have installed Seikel Springs in the front and spacers with factory springs in the rear with factory shock absorbers, that means that I need to find longer shock absorbers.

I'm not happy with my suspension set up as the van is a Caravelle without any camper equipment and it feels quite hard on the front because there is not much weight I suppose.

So here are my doubts, my first intention was to keep the wheel arches without any modification, to be able to fit the "16 with 215/80 R16, I thought there would be enough with Seikel in the front but there was not, the tyres are touching in the corners of the front wheel arches at strong complexions.

I'm not sure how to get more height maybe by the Bilstein Coilover or any others springs? As far as I know the FOX coilovers are designed to work with stock springs so that's why I deleted that option from my list.

Should I also buy the spacers for the upper ball joints supplied by Burleys?

Are the OLD MAN EMU long enough to support that height?

The distance between the centre wheel cap to the wheel arches are 50.5cms (20 inches) in the front and 52cms (20.50 inches) in the rear, so Maybe if I can lift 1 more inch on the front with the upper ball joint spacer I could save the CV joints and the wheel arches corners Rolling Eyes

I want to keep the body kit from factory and fit the Terrawagen fender flares (I know that they wont fit unless I cut them) with a set of Bf A/T 225/75 R16

Another question is if I cut the wheel arches to be able to fit bigger tyres can I still fit the Terrawagen fender flares.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Here is a pic of the Caravelle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by urquattro on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw Syncro GL "14 from the other side. Reply with quote

That's a sweet looking van! I really like the lower cladding on a raised van treatment; in fact, that's how my van is setup.

You can get front shock extenders that should allow most stock height shocks to work with a raised van. I welded up shock extenders for my stock height rear shocks. I suspect that you'll need to trim the lower corners in order to run that tall of a tire with the factory 14" arches

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

Nice syncro. My favorite color, Tizian Red. And the color-matched bumpers makes the van look great.

I almost regret painting the bumpers grey om my Tizian red syncro.

By the way, one of your foglights isnt working... Wink
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

The GW ball joint spacers are to correct alignment on a 2 wheel drive after lifting. They won't help you. You could try Burley tubular upper arms and his coil over kit.

At 20.5 inches you will probably need to go to 944 front and 930 rear CVs to avoid breaking CVs.

I would advise dropping it an inch to 19 or 19.5 and go slightly smaller on the tires. Just drive slower. It will reduce all the stresses on the drive train.
urquattro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. I 'm going to leave her as a Caravelle well accessorized with their cladding, rear seats, etx I know that is quite contradictory the claddding on syncros but sometimes is nice to see something different and I love how they look with a good train configuration.

I already ordered the OME Shock Absorbers as the good reviews, I will try them with Seikel springs, if not happy with it I will sell them and try another configuration, maybe go for softer springs.

I definitely have to trim the lower corners, but I'm not sure which flare fenders should I go for "14 or "16? I seen few posts where people trim the front "14 flenders as the "16 are to big, should I go for the front "16 Flare fenders?
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

Here is mine with original 16 inch flares:

The sides of the rear bumper require some shortening (or as I have done, move the entire rear bumper a few cm rearwards) and the side cladding will need some minor trimming.

If you decide to go for the 14 inch flares from Terrawagen they come with guidelines where to cut to make the necessary clearance for the cladding.
urquattro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
Here is mine with original 16 inch flares:

The sides of the rear bumper require some shortening (or as I have done, move the entire rear bumper a few cm rearwards) and the side cladding will need some minor trimming.

If you decide to go for the 14 inch flares from Terrawagen they come with guidelines where to cut to make the necessary clearance for the cladding.

Your van look amazing, I like grey cladding as well, nice contrast even better with fenders. What tires size have you?

I would like to keep the "16 wheels, I think the only chance for me is to trim and go for the "16 fenders, but I presume there will be plenty job to be able to fit the middle cladding as I never see anybody with "16 and middle cladding Sad

How did you modify your wheel arches, just cut or change the hole arch?
What suspension conf are you using?

Cheers
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

urquattro wrote:

Your van look amazing, I like grey cladding as well, nice contrast even better with fenders. What tires size have you?

I would like to keep the "16 wheels, I think the only chance for me is to trim and go for the "16 fenders, but I presume there will be plenty job to be able to fit the middle cladding as I never see anybody with "16 and middle cladding Sad

Cheers

Thanks.

In addition to the wheel arches the van also has rear trailing arms and brakes from an original 16 inch syncro. So lots of space for bigger wheels. I run 245/75R 16 on 8x16 et11 Ronal R9. I cut the wheel arches just like on an original 16 inch syncro. The rubber flares hide the cuts so it isn't necessary to make it pretty. I'm running Trailmaster springs and shock.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

Nice van!

I saw it on Instagram and was asking you if your wheels were ET11, never got my answer til now Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

Looks great...BTW, those tires look wider than 215's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
urquattro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
urquattro wrote:

Cheers

Thanks.

In addition to the wheel arches the van also has rear trailing arms and brakes from an original 16 inch syncro. So lots of space for bigger wheels. I run 245/75R 16 on 8x16 et11 Ronal R9. I cut the wheel arches just like on an original 16 inch syncro. The rubber flares hide the cuts so it isn't necessary to make it pretty. I'm running Trailmaster springs and shock.

But are your Flares "16? There is no "16 Flares available from Terrawagen as I was asking them.... they told me that just "14

I was looking price for the rear arms but they are crazy priced, Westy had them cheaper than other as far as I saw, not sure about quality product. But sure I wil go for them in the future.

Im trying to find out the way to trim the wheel arches as I would like to do a clean job, maybe buy new arches and weld them few cms back. Not sure how the "16 were coming from factory....

I need to
urquattro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Nice van!

I saw it on Instagram and was asking you if your wheels were ET11, never got my answer til now Cool

Sorry man, to much stuff on Instagram Very Happy

The wheels are ET11 with 215/80 R16 coming from a Merc, I had to drill bigger holes to be able tofit the original studs.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

urquattro wrote:
OddN wrote:
urquattro wrote:

Cheers

Thanks.

But are your Flares "16? There is no "16 Flares available from Terrawagen as I was asking them.... they told me that just "14

I was looking price for the rear arms but they are crazy priced, Westy had them cheaper than other as far as I saw, not sure about quality product. But sure I wil go for them in the future.

Im trying to find out the way to trim the wheel arches as I would like to do a clean job, maybe buy new arches and weld them few cms back. Not sure how the "16 were coming from factory....

I need to

Are you asking about my van?

I have original syncro 16" rubber wheel arches. Bought second hand from a fellow bus enthusiast. I cut the rear fenders just like Steyr Puch did on the original 16" syncros. They never made steel fender panels specifically for the 16", they just hacked the standard 14" panels to fit.

Here are some pics on how a 16" syncro looks without the flares:

A couple of posts here that describes this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449914

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6399006
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW Syncro GL 14" from the other side Reply with quote

I cut my arches as well. I have 235/70 r16 coppers on. I basically heated and coaxed the terrawagen flares into their new, slightly widened position. They fit just fine. Have a look.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: