Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

Replacing the exhaust on my '72 Bus, stock. I have filed the exhaust ends flat with each other, but am a little concerned that, from above, the angle of the ports seems askew, especially on the right box. Is this normal? I haven't taken the old ones off yet, and since the Bus is drivable in the interim, I want to make this a quick swap so I don't have to re-order, re-paint, re-measure, re-file, etc.. Just wanted to see if this is normal or not.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

UPDATE: I got my hands on a spare head to test fit this heat exchanger. Sure enough, the fit was horrible. The left one slid right on and lined right up with the ports. But the right one (pictured above) I could force onto the head, but only by shoving, jamming, shoe-horning, etc.. And once in place I could see daylight where the pipes meet the ports on the head (it's a naked head, no valves, etc.). So I pulled it back off (took some work), boxed it up and returned it.

Long story short, yesterday the replacement heat exchanger (from a different vender) came, and -- same thing!

So, I'm beginning to question my sanity.

Since the left one fits perfectly, but the two right ones I've tried barely slide over the studs, please remind me -- the left and right heads are interchangeable, correct?

I do realize that both heat exchangers are likely from the same manufacturer, even though I bought them from two different places. The previous one I tried had no sticker but the one that came yesterday is Jopex. Could be a bad run of right heat exchangers?

Or am I just being picky? Like, will the gap I see go away once I torque the nuts down and the freshly filed pipe ends bed in the new, annealed copper rings?

Basically, I want to make sure this is going to fit right before I tear the old stuff off my currently running Bus (which I'm taking camping this weekend regardless). Any ideas?

Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

Yes, both heads are the same so it's the HE's fault, apparently thier jig for the RH ones is off.
No, torquing it down won't solve the problem, you'll have to employ large prybars down the pipes to pry them closer together, a scissor jack between them to spread them and/or a great big pipe wrench to twist them into position, after the slide on nicely file or belt sand the sealing ends so they are parallel and flat.

Damn, it sucks that you have to get all medevil like that on brand new parts Rolling Eyes

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yes, both heads are the same so it's the HE's fault, apparently thier jig for the RH ones is off.
No, torquing it down won't solve the problem, you'll have to employ large prybars down the pipes to pry them closer together, a scissor jack between them to spread them and/or a great big pipe wrench to twist them into position, after the slide on nicely file or belt sand the sealing ends so they are parallel and flat.

Damn, it sucks that you have to get all medieval like that on brand new parts Rolling Eyes

If these are Dansk/Jopex heat exchangers, it is a known issue that they cannot be bothered to make parts correctly. Raise some hell with your vendors and make them raise some hell with their suppliers and maybe they will raise some hell with the manufacturer. I hate Dansk Jopex.
Colin
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

Not making excuses for new parts.... but. When I swapped heads with my rebuild, even reusing my F-Pipes, I had to use some force with a bottle jack between them and some heat to get a straight fitment. It may just sadly be the minor fabrication you need

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Damn, it sucks that you have to get all medevil like that on brand new parts Rolling Eyes

Pretty much what I thought. Just needed a sanity check. Thanks for the how-to ideas. In the long run, sadly, it may resort to that.

Quote:
If these are Dansk/Jopex heat exchangers, it is a known issue that they cannot be bothered to make parts correctly. Raise some hell with your vendors and make them raise some hell with their suppliers and maybe they will raise some hell with the manufacturer. I hate Dansk Jopex.

Are there any other manufacturers currently making HE's?

The Bus currently runs quietly with no known leaks. But there are two reasons I need a new exhaust. First, when I bought it there was a bad oil leak. I fixed it, but not before the HE's got soaked in oil. They don't smoke anymore, but several thousand miles later they still stink after a long run. Yes, they can be rebuilt (and maybe I'll save the old ones if I get bored some February weekend). The second reason is that my '72-only hitch (for my bike rack) won't fit with the current muffler. What this means, lucky for me, is that time is on my side. And, since I already raised hell with the first vender, and I probably won't get the exhaust swap done this season after all, there is no reason not to call the second vender. Will be getting on that today! But . . .

Quote:
Not making excuses for new parts.... but. When I swapped heads with my rebuild, even reusing my F-Pipes, I had to use some force with a bottle jack between them and some heat to get a straight fitment. It may just sadly be the minor fabrication you need.

You're probably right. I'm tempted to do this right now (I enjoy working on my Bus, otherwise I wouldn't own one) but it's the principle of the thing. I see from your profile pic that we work in the same industry. In our own careers, we have zero tolerance for shoddy work, for obvious reasons. So when I come across this kind of crap, it drives me completely batsh*%! So, for now, I'm going to fight it. But I have a funny feeling I'll be breaking out the pipe wrench, jack, etc.. eventually.

Thanks all for the help.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

If you force it into place, the opposing force will always be there pressing against studs and other fasteners. Think about that.

Use heat on the incorrect sweep of the exhaust tubing going into the HE. Form it into place. Let it cool. Test the fit with your cylinder head. If you can't put it together with your bare hands, you can bet you will have leaks and other problems later after you force it into place.

Same poor manufacturing problem you are suffering, just a different location:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildDogPizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

I had the same issue when I ran Dansk boxes. I'd have to torque them a certain way to get them to seal, but it was a strain on the connection between the cast flanges and the pipes that are brazed to them. Eventually the brazing will fail and you get leaks there. I braze welded them while they were on a spare head thinking it would correct the alignment, but they broke again a year or so later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

I can't comment specifically about the late bus heat exchangers by Dansk but I can say their early bay exhaust SUCKS just as much and for pretty much the same reasons. Things don't line up.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

steve your cat was upside down, (Really) I had the same issue until i reclocked it with the O2 bung up.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
steve your cat was upside down, (Really) I had the same issue until i reclocked it with the O2 bung up.

Yep, you were the one that helped me on that. But no matter which way I clocked it the collector flange was still off. It just wasn't fabbed right. Later, when I re-clocked the CAT, it was a simple matter of removing the bolts, loosening the clamp and putting it right.
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

I had avoided the "name and shame", but here goes. The first HE I got was from cip1. I sent it back. A guy I spoke with there said he tried it against a head they had on hand and the there was nothing wrong with it. Let's just say, I beg to differ. Anyhow, I got store credit at least (it had been more than 30 days) but apparently the HE was put right back on the shelf for the next sucker, er, customer.

The one I got last week was from Bus Depot and like I said, same problem. I called them on my way up to camp Friday. I told him the issue and he put me on hold to talk to his manager. When he came back on the line, he admitted that it was indeed an issue and unless I wanted to tweak it, they would be glad to take it back. I appreciate his honesty, but it would have been nice to know before hand. I would expect small dents, scratches, imperfections, less than perfect castings, etc., from aftermarket stuff. But something that is all but unusable is another story. Maybe I'm just being naive.

So, I may indeed open up the bag of tricks (heat, brute force, etc.). But also keeping my eyes open for other HE alternatives. In the classifieds there are a couple of "NOS Dansk" HE's being offered. But I'm confused: aren't "NOS" and "Dansk" mutually exclusive?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

Or look for real oem used one

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

Ok, another update.

So, I sent the 2nd dud heat exchanger back. With all the time in the world, I decided well, I'll try a 3rd vendor. If that doesn't work, then I'll either find a used one or force a new (but defective) one into compliance.

I called Wolfsburg West. Not my usual source for Bay parts, but half the stuff on my Beetle came from them and, for the most part, they've done me okay.

I spoke to Rich, and told him that I'd already tried two others and was thinking about ordering from him, but I needed some questions answered first. He said what he had was made by JP/Dansk. Not good. I about gave up, but then I asked if he would be willing to send me some pics of the actual one he would send me. He promptly did. Then I asked him to take some measurements. He did that too. I was starting to be hopeful. Everything, to my surprise, looked pretty good.

So I asked him to sign the actual one he took photos of, and send it to me. Today I got it (with his signature!) and, lo and behold, it fits perfectly!

Same manufacturer, too, go figure. Only difference (aside from the fact it fits like it should) is the p/n. Most others have it as 021256092M, but Wolfburg West has 021255092M. Earlier production run, maybe? Regardless, it's a good 'un!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

Great news! Always nice to have good customer support, even better when the manufacturing process follows good craftsmanship... or at least you got lucky.

I was going to mention this earlier, but didn’t. I have a set of OE heat exchangers off a FI 2.0 engine. They were caked with greasy dirt, and the insides reeked of old burned oil. No way would I blast hot air inside my bus with those. So I cleaned them with the usual scraping, wire brush and solvent, etc. But what about the insides?

For that, I used my Oxy/Ace outfit with a Rosebud tip. Just stuck that in there to the point of near softening of the sheet metal, then changed it to the other end. The clouds of smoke filling my alleyway were quite amusing, but I effectively burned out all 40 years of crap inside the heater boxes. My neighbors closed their sliding patio door. I was surprised my how much burned, flaked crap shook out!

After the boxes cooled, I soaked them in a tub of detergent water, then hosed them out. When they dried, I rattle canned the outsides with high-temp grey exhaust header paint, then mill-filed the exhaust flanges nice and flat. I cannot say how effective this process was, because they are still waiting to be installed on the engine they are meant for.
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger exhaust alignment Reply with quote

I don't have that kind of setup, but one option for me might have been to drill out the spot welds that hold the clamshell together, and go from there. There's a thread somewhere here on that. In the meantime, I will certainly hang on to the old ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: