Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s? Reply with quote

My seal has begun to seriously disintegrate on the top side over the last 4 years (and the bus was parked for 2.5 years of the 4!), with the slightest touch sending tufts of foam flying. Although $35 isn't that much money for a consumable part with a 5 year lifespan, I'd much rather spend it on something that would last longer (and be less attractive to malevolent critters looking for insulation).

I've been looking at H-shape silicone extrusions, and I haven't had much luck with finding anything pre-made that you can get in 5-10ft lengths to test. Has anyone had any luck with alternatives? It seems like making one out of silicone sponge foam (or a variety of cheaper rubbers) would be leagues above our current options.

This is the kind of thing I initially had in mind:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Factory-pri...c8fd4EmMbh

Another option would be the bulb seals on the top - but I'm not sure how well they'd seal:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=1dqcfr4

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s? Reply with quote

Get yor butt over to Walmart for some pool noodles before they blow out the summer stuff and stock up on Halloween decorations.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Get yor butt over to Walmart for some pool noodles before they blow out the summer stuff and stock up on Halloween decorations.

Good idea, I can pick up some gorilla glue while I'm there - then this pool noodle will be stuck in my engine bay until the end of time.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s? Reply with quote

I typically get around 8 years out of a foam seal. When they were asking over $60 for them maybe 15-20 years back I certainly was looking for alternatives, but at around $30 today it just doesn't seem worth it. I had considered getting some 3/8" - 1/2" thick heat rated silicone sheets and seeing what I could glue up.

Ray Greenwood has mentioned that he smears the available foam gaskets with RTV silicone in an effort to get more life out of them.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s? Reply with quote

Make sure you install the shiney side down please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s? Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Make sure you install the shiney side down please.

X2. Everyone I run into seems to think the shiny side up is better. Always fun to point out it’s upside down and see their reactions Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s? Reply with quote

Years ago I trimmed back my engine surround tin to leave a more even space for the foam seal to fit, maybe as much as 3/8" in the right rear corner area. Makes the foam go and out easier and keeps it from being damaged as much.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s? Reply with quote

Fun noodle Pool noodle Engine seal quick fix
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

high temperature pipe insulation wrap
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rl...7Xz0e5DAqc
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam rubber engine seal alternative for Type 4s? Reply with quote

I didn't realize you were semi-serious about the noodle! Seems like LDPE is only good to 220-240F per google - not sure the heads/exhaust will like that very much, but I suppose it depends on the environment and engine.

Can't figure out what this is (expanded EPDM?), but I seem to recall a low melting point in other projects I've worked on:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armaflex-1-in-x-6-ft-R.../100569382

Then there's this stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-x-3-ft-Fiberg.../100134569

Scraping the bottom of the DIY barrel here.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: