Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Air filter on. You can just feel the extra power the filter is creating. Smile and my lovely new rear seal in chrome tape. This was after the run so it looks like it is a good temporary fix.

It worked great today with 53 miles on it today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Great day. Put over 100 miles on it. Worked amazing. Parade this evening with about 400 cars. Some really interesting stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Had to make one fuel pump out of two on the side of the road this morning. 4 hours run tome on that pump. Made it to the show!

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Great you were able to diagnose it. Maybe the rod length is too much or maybe old age at a weak point?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Great you were able to diagnose it. Maybe the rod length is too much or maybe old age at a weak point?

Thought it had froze up but then it wouldn't start and didn't smell gas. Pulled the fuel line and nothing with fuel line off. Pulled the pump and parts fell out.

Very poor quality metal. The Roker I removed from the junk one was much thicker. Think l will avoid cheep pumps. Smile

Need to get a spare and make a tool kit up. Think a pump, distributer, coil, carb kit, fuses, fuel filter, small voltage meter, spark plugs, valve cover gasket and a few tools.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Day one of show was fun. I only got to see about a 1/3 of the cars. Must have been 700 or so. A lot of very nice cars. No photos today but will get some tomorrow.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

Need to get a spare and make a tool kit up. Think a pump, distributer, coil, carb kit, fuses, fuel filter, small voltage meter, spark plugs, valve cover gasket and a few tools.

a spare carb is faster to replace on the side of the road than rebuilding one....

that is how i always looked at my spares, what can get me out of trouble quickly? fuel pump, dizzy, coil, fuel filter, spark plugs, belt are easy to replace in minutes. Worth it even on shorter trips.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
sgellis wrote:

a spare carb is faster to replace on the side of the road than rebuilding one....

that is how i always looked at my spares, what can get me out of trouble quickly? fuel pump, dizzy, coil, fuel filter, spark plugs, belt are easy to replace in minutes. Worth it even on shorter trips.

Belt, forgot that one.

Reason a picked carb kit was that we plan to do a lot of long distance traveling and didn't want to use the space for something that will likely not fail... then again one wouldn't take up much room.

I am going to start putting a kit together this week. I need to get a fuel pump and belt but think I have everything else. 300 mile trip next Sunday.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

I'd get a Genuine Pierburg VW logo'd dome top fuel pump for that engine. Buy a rebuild kit from WW and you're good for decades. I wouldn't buy any "new" fuel pump sold today.

I'm not sure why folks would carry a spare carb? I've never seen any issues after a good rebuild that includes replacing the throttle shaft bushings. I haven't rebuilt my original German Solex carbs on my VW's in over 10 years.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I'm not sure why folks would carry a spare carb? I've never seen any issues after a good rebuild that includes replacing the throttle shaft bushings. I haven't rebuilt my original German Solex carbs on my VW's in over 10 years.

if you accept that your carb may fail, then a carb is faster to replace than to fix on the side of the road.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

I saw the bus yesterday. Looks as good as in the pics if not better.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
I saw the bus yesterday. Looks as good as in the pics if not better.

Thanks! Was great chatting. Hopefully we can get up to the city for a meet this summer. Going to try the Lockeport show next Sunday if the weather looks good. Little over 2 hour drive.

Just getting ready to head out for day two. We should get a good spot on main street today.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

I like the quick sealing it up idea to get a nice day of driving in. sgellis your bus looks fantastic.

sgellis wrote:
Air filter on. You can just feel the extra power the filter is creating. Smile and my lovely new rear seal in chrome tape. This was after the run so it looks like it is a good temporary fix.

It worked great today with 53 miles on it today.

I also like the list of spares.

mandraks wrote:
sgellis wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

What a weekend!

Started with a brunch run to the Yarmouth light and a local restaurant to eat. Was interviewed by CBC and a photo taken at the light house.

Friday evening we drove in the parade. 380 cars and took 45 minutes for all the cars to drive by. Amazing turnout to watch. Lots of fun. Then another run to the light house for live music and a beer. Drove home after dark. Should aline my headlights but not bad.

Saturday morning we were off to the show but engine quit. Thought it had iced up but wouldn't restart. Ended up building one fuel pump out of two on the side of the road and made it to the show 1 hour behind schedule. Will be better prepared next time. Smile Great day with lots of conversation.

This morning we headed out and got better parking for day two. First year for the second day and turn out for cars and spectators was great.

Received the mayor's choice award again. I got it two years ago with the bus covered in bird shit. Haha

Back home and unpacked. Parked in its new spot for the summer. I guess I have a bus I can drive whenever I like. Smile Hardly feels real at times.

Long few days but it was a blast. So much fun to drive. Almost 200 miles in three days. Smile Got a few things to do and some stuff to collect this week and we will be ready for next weekends adventures.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

You're leaving it outside!!! Shocked Razz

Great chatting with you and your family yesterday. Congrats on the Mayer's choice award.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Joey wrote:

Great chatting with you and your family yesterday. Congrats on the Mayer's choice award.

Haha, I Didn't build no trailer queen. Smile

I should get the remainder of the cargo door seals on before it rains though.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Joey wrote:

I should get the remainder of the cargo door seals on before it rains though.

Applause Very Happy
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Joey wrote:
You're leaving it outside!!!...

Hear, hear! Build it, love it, and enjoy it.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Out for a run with 20 or so cars for ice-cream. Another 50 miles on it. We were the slowest car there but managed to keep up. Smile After we stopped of to watch the sunset.

Developed a clunk on bumps. Quite sure its the left spring plate. Saturday I will go over the bottom and toque all the bolts.

Other end of the drag link got loose so the new one will go on as soon as it arrives.

Got the remainder of the cargo door seals on and the rods stopped rattling. That was nice Smile

Some people taking pictures with the bus Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 50

Jump to: