Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Windshield Seal (updated info please)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

Who's currently selling the best windshield seal? (non-trim version)
All the previous posts on this topic seem to be a few years old. I broke my windshield installing it the other day and it may have been the hard seal I used. Not sure where it came from since it was a new seal with some parts I got.
Thanks for any advice!!

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

German!! I tried with the US made one - worked fine for my rear and side windows - could not get it on the front - tired 3 times - always a small part that would not fit - bought the German one - went on first time. This was the California style!

I have a spare German one I could sell - let me know if your interested
!984 911 Targa
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

I did three windshields last month, all with the "best quality German seal" that I got from BusDepot, and all with no problems. One also used the trim insert, which was installed post-windshield installation, using the special tool. Other vendors also have the better rubber. Just be sure to confirm that it is the good seal.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I did three windshields last month, all with the "best quality German seal" that I got from BusDepot, and all with no problems. One also used the trim insert, which was installed post-windshield installation, using the special tool. Other vendors also have the better rubber. Just be sure to confirm that it is the good seal.

Don't see a German option at WCM or WW. BD seems to be out of stock. The California style is what I want. No trim
Is there another supplier that has the German one?

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

i have one!! PM me ..
!984 911 Targa
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

I have this German made windshield seal installed on my 79. 6 years and no issues. Same German seals on the rear and rear sides. Bus sits outside 24/7/365.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-241-121COE
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

Balmoral1958 wrote:
i have one!! PM me ..

Thanks, I think I do have a German one in my stash. The German one has the corners molded in, correct? The Brazilian or US made seems to roll up when packed, no molded corners an harder rubber? Does that sound right?
These are the same length, btw. Camera angle makes them look different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

I got mine from West Coast Metric. 7 years now no issues.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

dembus wrote:
Balmoral1958 wrote:
i have one!! PM me ..

Thanks, I think I do have a German one in my stash. The German one has the corners molded in, correct? The Brazilian or US made seems to roll up when packed, no molded corners an harder rubber? Does that sound right?
These are the same length, btw. Camera angle makes them look different.

No. My German seals had no identifiable "corners".

I'm not sure how to tell by inspection.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

if you think that those are the same length, you must have smoked your breakfast....
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

Smile Smile

The one on the right looks like a rear window seal.

I learnt to never take the tags of these seals...
!984 911 Targa
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please) Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
if you think that those are the same length, you must have smoked your breakfast....

Same length!! Just the camera angle. The one on the right looked smaller in the other pic.
But this should in no way suggest I didn’t smoke my breakfast...

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: