Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater shutoff valve for front heater core.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

We just had this argument in another thread.

I used Terry Kay's valve.It took me (the anti mechanic) under 20 minutes to do. Someone else said they could replace the original in 10. To replace the original means removing the spare tire and getting under the car. Maybe he has a lift. My old bones say, "If you can do it without climbing under the car we thank you.."

I'm also easily swayed by crotchety, opinionated old farts with lots of experience.

I just thought I'd post the photos I put in the other thread so you can kind of see where it is. -

llilibel03 wrote:
Here's that Terry Kay valve-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is with my hand on the valve ( I can reach it while driving and still see the road YMMV)-

I think it's an easier fix than replacing the original.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

Earlier heater valve thread referred to above.......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698991

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

i don't get any heat when mine is shut off. i think most heater cables are mis-adjusted because people attempt to attach the control cable to the valve from underneath the van. this is an absolute nightmare to do. after killing myself trying that for a bit, i removed the grommet, pulled the valve through the floor, and adjusted it in comfort.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7960859#7960859

anyway, plenty of heat in this thread from the mod and the modder. chill dudes.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

So, I used the Home Depot valve above in 3/4 to install a valve next to the heater box like Lillebel showed. I cut the handle about in half to make it protrude less when closed.

I checked my cable and was all set to rebend the tip that's in the heater control lever to lengthen it slightly and push the valve more closed. However, that wire is very tough meaning hard - not mild steel. So in my mind, I thought of it snapping off as I had to reverse the bends from the factory exactly in order to achieve a 1/8" shorter cable. That would lead to a lot of swearing and then a new cable, etc. Contrary to what many think, shifting the cable housing in the adjustable pinch clamp under the guages will not "adjust" the cable throw.

Worked out well. I just filled the footwell with an old towel, laid everything out, put the clamps on the hose already, then cut it with shop scissors and shoved it on. I marked the hose for the cut first, then removed the glove box for easy of access.

One mistake I made. The handle has a raw end where I cut it and the nice rubber coating. I filed it to make it more friendly and tossed the cutoff piece. Had a great idea overnight to pull the remaining rubbery "sock" piece off the scrap and work it over the end of the handle to make it look nice again. Now I've gotta dig through the trash to find that tip.

I have not driven it yet, but will report.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

I've got about 4000 miles on the HD valve now; so far, trouble free!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

Anyhoo...I recently installed a PEX valve purchased at HD and couldn't be more pleased with the resulting loss of hot-legs-hooligan. Now I just need to fix that damned A/C

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

This is a valve for a 1969 Ford pickup, NAPA #660-1140, installed on my 1991 Multivan. Seems to work just fine. Just bought another for my 83 1/2 POS a couple of days ago.

Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

Just FYI, The pex valve I bought at Home Depot, rated at 240 degrees and I cant remember what pressure, worked perfect for 2 seasons. It then seized in the closed position. It is so stuck that it cannot be moved even holding the valve with a pliers and a small cheater bar slipped over the handle.
Conclusion on a sample of one: that it couldn't take the temperature. I knew TK's valve was high quality, but I found myself needing it that day, so Home Depot it was. The 3/4 size pex fit perfect in the 5/8 hose, and I did like the barbs, as they are not sharp. I did mount it back beside the transmission instead of the heater hose splice, and I am running an inline engine. Doesn't leak a drop, though.
I recently moved the Van to Florida, so I may not need to turn the heat on down here.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

in one of these threads someone posted an electrically controlled valve. after installing my valve in the back near several hot coolant pipes, i was really wishing i had the valve on a dash switch....
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
in one of these threads someone posted an electrically controlled valve. after installing my valve in the back near several hot coolant pipes, i was really wishing i had the valve on a dash switch....

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/15646/Heater_Control_Valve_Electronic.html

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
chachi wrote:

that one’s even fancier! the other one was just on-off. nice work, chris.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Heater shutoff valve for front heater core. Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:
chachi wrote:

that one’s even fancier! the other one was just on-off. nice work, chris.

here's an install detail with pics. Its post 45 (post numbers on right) its like the third one down on this page.

LIKE IT!

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/heater-bypass-valve-diy-in-progress.10824/page-3

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: