Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rmvr53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

What (and why) would the differences be in building a 2 liter engine up from a VW base (72/94mm bore/stroke and work the case) vs just starting with a 2 liter T4 engine. This is going in a vintage Sports Racer. It needs to stay under (just under) 2L.

thanks for the input

Bill
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

You might as well post a political debate or a "Which oil is best" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rmvr53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

and to add the proverbial fuel to the fire, I don't want to go broke building nor maintaining it...

Bill
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

All engines like this cost pretty much the same to build IMO, about 2000$ plus labor.
If you have somebody else do all the labor then you are at their mercy, for better or worse.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

Well..... a type 1 would be a lot cheaper and there are plenty aftermarket parts for it.
A type 4 is more robust. Heavier case, more cooling fin area. More expensive and less available hot rod aftermarket.
I suppose you could get comparable power from each. The cross flow head of the type 4 may have more potential......if the parts and research are available.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

Will it be high compression for race gas?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

The heads are gonna be the most expensive parts for the T4 engine. Whereas a good set costs $1000 for a T1, T4s will probably set you back $2000 for a properly done set by a reputable T4 head guy. Notice I said T4 head guy.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

Check out Brothers, they supplied me with a set of rebuilt type 4 heads for just under 1K with some mild porting and chamber work. They have a good reputation.

I will see this winter how prices compare. I just finished doing up a mild type 4 for our street Buggy and I need to refresh a type 1 engine for our sand rail this winter. It will be a mild build too.

The type 4 cost me in the range of $2500 with a switch to Webers and a home built exhaust system. There are a few items that are more money than the type 1, exhaust is a big one. Heads are a bit more too.
Rmvr53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

modok - its going to be a race gas engine, but not high octane. I only run 100 (usually AV Gas) in my FV. The biggest drawback I am going to have is what a 2 liter T1 or T4 is going to give me HP wise. At just under 2 liter I am competing with 2 liter Porsche 6 cyl, Lotus Twin-cams , BDA's and the like. So building up the VW engine is more for a "labor of love" (and I know/can afford to work on them)

Bill
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

A type 1 is easier and most likely work out cheaper , a good exhaust is also another expensive part of a hi performance type4 . plus the cooling system .

If you decide to go down the type4 route, Heads wise I would use AA 2 lt 914 bare castings and get Fat to work them over with good valves etc . A friend did some work on a SuperVee (yellow Zink Z11) not much is known about the engine other then it is 1970cc built by Fat .It pulled 162hp at the wheels with 44 idf's (no fan cooling system) .Ask a few old Supervee racers who was the top engine builder and speak to them about a reliable engine .
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

As this is road racing (hours of hard running as opposed to seconds on the drag strip) I will speculate that the type 4 will cost a bit more initially perhaps but will cost less in the long run due to it's superior durability and cooling.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

As mentioned if you are going to have to buy parts for the Type 4 other then just rebuild it, like bearings, and valve job.. THe T-1 will be less if both need the same parts replace, like heads.

Seeing you are talking T-4 2.0 you already will have the 71 mm crank and and rods, close to your wanting 72mm.

I would say as Wreck said, if it is going to be raced, spend the extra money and go T-4 All use a 2.0 case so think 914 and bus the engine was made for racing and lasting. With a T-1 you are making an engine larger then intended, the 2.0 was a stock engine.

Little known fact the 914 2.0 was almost as fast as the 916 6 cyl which was also a 2.0 one year the 916 won 11 out of 12 racers. It is only faster on top end.

For racing drop by the 914 NG.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

Yeah I guess the type-4 has a stronger crank and easier cooling.
But if it's a labor of love....just go with the one you love the most.
You're kind of IN luck, since now you can get 914 re-production heads, and CB panchito heads. Which one has more power potential? I don't know they are both pretty darn nice Very Happy
Rmvr53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

"Labor of Love" is kinda pointed at either T1 or T4 (going Volkswagon). If I can get a reliable 130-150 out of the T4 I may go that way as I have a feeling that kind of HP out of a T1 isn't going to be all that reliable. So as said, I'd pay more up front but not have the back-end maintenance/upkeep costs. I already have both a T1 and T4 case sitting on the shelf But they are bare cases. I don't remember what the T4 case is but the T1 is an AH case. Does the T4 need the baffling like we put in the T1 in the Vee?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

Probably similar. Some of the 914 engines had baffles, but if they are good design or not, I don't really know.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

Quote:
the 914 2.0 was almost as fast as the 916 6 cyl which was also a 2.0 one year the 916 won 11 out of 12 racers

Careful, Joe. The car you mean is the 914-6, not the 916. Two different models. The 914-6 had the 2-liter 6-cyl. engine from the 911T, rated at approx. 125 hp. The 916 had the powerful Carrera engine, a welded on steel roof, and there were only about a dozen built. All were intended for street use. I knew the owner of one when I worked at VW in Wolfsburg in the early '80's, and he even showed it to me when he drove the car to work one day. Also, Porsche racer Peter Gregg imported one for himself in Florida in the early '70's. The 914-6 GT was yet a third variation of the 914 body, built primarily for racing.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

Rmvr53 wrote:
"Labor of Love" is kinda pointed at either T1 or T4 (going Volkswagon). If I can get a reliable 130-150 out of the T4 I may go that way as I have a feeling that kind of HP out of a T1 isn't going to be all that reliable. So as said, I'd pay more up front but not have the back-end maintenance/upkeep costs. I already have both a T1 and T4 case sitting on the shelf But they are bare cases. I don't remember what the T4 case is but the T1 is an AH case. Does the T4 need the baffling like we put in the T1 in the Vee?

The 914’s came out with a factory windage tray , they come up regularly on the classifieds or EMW or Fat can probably sorce one , seals for the case to windage tray can still be bought new , a stock well balance crank would be ok to use .

I made drains from the heads to the side of the case to help return the oil to below the tray with simple diy non return valves to stop oil going the wrong way under heavy cornering .
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

Hey Roland, if someone is going to correct me I am happy to hear from you, Ha.

Been a while!!!

RMV53 All the T-4 cases are the same-- Aluminum not Magnesium and so even if you get a 1.7 engine the case is the same the a 100 -110 hp stock 2.0 uses.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Hey Roland, if someone is going to correct me I am happy to hear from you, Ha.

Been a while!!!

RMV53 All the T-4 cases are the same-- Aluminum not Magnesium and so even if you get a 1.7 engine the case is the same the a 100 -110 hp stock 2.0 uses.

Some early 1.7 Type 4 cars had mag cases. Very rare.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Build a 2 liter from a VW or start with a T4? Reply with quote

Steve got to add that to the T-4 storage part of my brain.

I guess they had a lot of magnesium from all the T-1s . Or maybe they figured a two ton bus needed something stronger then magnesium??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: