Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beware the revolt of the machines has begun
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware the revolt of the machines has begun Reply with quote

Those who have known Lind back before his long hair got short and long again would remember his stolen sig line: "Skynet has become self-aware."

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware the revolt of the machines has begun Reply with quote

The original link is no longer available, but I can say from experience that industrial robots are no where near able to operate without constant attention and adjustment. Sure they can replace mindless jobs as long as the inputs are consistent. But much variability or frequent model changes and they can be a real bottleneck
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vanagonjr"]
Wildthings wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
Much ado about nothing

I would hope that you realize that this was not intended to be a serious posting.

Some of us do seems to find that our ACVW's do act willfully to our advantage or disadvantage at times though. Wink

Yeah, sometimes I feel my VW is out to kill me - or at least my bank account Very Happy

We owned a new 1982 Vanagon and several used ones... those things WILL put you in the poor house - they will drain your wallet, fast
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
I am more afraid of real stupidity vs. artificial intelligence! Laughing

Just look at the vehicles being made today. They ARE designed for stupid people.

As for artificial intelligence, just look no further than your in home "sharing devices". They're sending info collected back to Amazon, to create more new stuff for you to buy. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
I am more afraid of real stupidity vs. artificial intelligence! Laughing

Just look at the vehicles being made today. They ARE designed for stupid people.

As for artificial intelligence, just look no further than your in home "sharing devices". They're sending info collected back to Amazon, to create more new stuff for you to buy. Rolling Eyes

Yes......I mean....really......does anyone really need a blind spot/ lane holder warning buzzer to tell them that they are either wandering into the car next to them or its wanxering into them?

Really? You can't adjust the mirrors properly and learn to pay attention and work around the cars characteristics?.....or is this a crutch to keep one from getting killed lane wandering while they are actually looking at their damn phone? Laughing

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Yes......I mean....really......does anyone really need a blind spot/ lane holder warning buzzer to tell them that they are either wandering into the car next to them or its wanxering into them?

I would say No except the number of people that cross the lane lines around here while driving straight down a road, let alone on curves or turns, is crazy.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware the revolt of the machines has begun Reply with quote

It would be interesting to analyse the threshold when tech gadget become distracting versus when they help prevent accidents. I'm sure an actuary is crunching the numbers as we speak and assigning the risk onto your insurance payment.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware the revolt of the machines has begun Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
The original link is no longer available

The government removed it trying to hide us from the truth

...shoot now where'd I put my tinfoil again?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I would say No except the number of people that cross the lane lines around here while driving straight down a road, let alone on curves or turns, is crazy.

That's because you're in Arizona, the dummmmest state in the USA !!!!

Oooops !!! So am I !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware the revolt of the machines has begun Reply with quote

I'm all for distracted driver technology in the cars around me. The life they save may be my own!

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware the revolt of the machines has begun Reply with quote

The revolt of the machines started right here...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its wanxering into them

Is this a new verb? Driving while being a wanker? Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: