Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor? Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding a 1978 bus motor that had been sitting in storage for many years, and condensation got into 1 cylinder and pitted it. The other 3 cylinders and all 4 of the pistons are in great shape, with very low miles on them (like maybe 5,000 miles), since the pistons/cylinders had been replaced shortly before it went into storage, so I'd rather just replace the 1 bad cylinder than buy another whole set.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor? Reply with quote

Try John at aircooled.net Sometimes he has stuff like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I checked and they only sell cylinders in sets of 4 from AA for about $130. Wouldn't be a bad option, but I'm going to keep looking for a used Mahle Cylinder for a little while longer....
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor? Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I checked and they only sell cylinders in sets of 4 from AA for about $130. Wouldn't be a bad option, but I'm going to keep looking for a used Mahle Cylinder for a little while longer....

I think he may have meant to shoot them an email to see if they have one floating around. I doubt it's something they'd list on the site given that most people replace these in sets.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor? Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:

I'm pretty sure I do (actually I think I have 3 of them, Mahle specifically, never used). Let me just confirm that first, and I'll get back with you...
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor? Reply with quote

And keep in mind that a 94mm P&C for a Type 4 engine is different that a 94mm for a Type 1 engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor? Reply with quote

also please don't just stick a piston into a cylinder without having it properly measured first. If it is loose it may rattle like hell, and if tight seize when it gets hot.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor? Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I do (actually I think I have 3 of them, Mahle specifically, never used). Let me just confirm that first, and I'll get back with you...

Awesome! PM me if you do. Also Randy in Maine made a good point that I need a 94mm cylinder for a type 4 motor.

Seems like the top of the cylinder protrudes about 1/4" from the fins on a type 4 cylinder and about 3/4" on a type 1, but for sure they are not interchangeable, even though the bore is the same.

On a new or fairly low mileage used Mahle cylinder, I think I'm pretty good on making my current piston fit. I've alway's had good luck with the machining tolerances on Mahle P&C's, but SGKent makes a good point about sizing them correctly, since I know Mahle grades both the pistons and cylinders to fit together with optimum clearance.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have a spare 94mm Mahle Cylinder for a 2.0 bus motor? Reply with quote

Yup, type 4. I'll PM ya.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: