Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start????
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:
Im keeping my hopes up that i can put this bus together and bring another Split back to life . . .someone has to do it. Laughing

Then reach out to guys that are parting out busses, get the B-Pillar and forward off a bus that was rear ended and get to work. Lots of welding in your future.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

I would Subaru the front end, the hell out of it.

If i read that you are new to welding correctly, you are 5 years away from getting this on the road if you work eat sleep like most of us.
greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Some good news!!

I was doing some inventory of what was stored in the Bus after the deal was sealed with this bus (Got the title and im ready to move forward on the project).

I found this front section sitting inside the bus . . . along with what i can only tell is a very straight and smooth bus and only rust in the common areas (Rocker, Battery Tray, Front of cargo bay).
Double doors open and shut very nicely ( i mention this because im guessing the majority of the body is straight despite the collision that damaged the front of the bus).

Getting more optimistic now that i have this large section with VERY solid frame rails.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I would Subaru the front end, the hell out of it.

If i read that you are new to welding correctly, you are 5 years away from getting this on the road if you work eat sleep like most of us.

I hope im not that far from completing this . . . I have started to commit to the idea that i should take a welding class to get ahead. Im hoping that will allow me to get ahead slightly faster. We will see.

Subaru front end ? . . . Please send me a link or Do-Tell about this. I am considering some upgrades since i will be in here replacing and cutting up anyways.

Current Considerations = Adjustable and Shortened beam, Take out rear-reduction gears (Which will lower the bus) and replace with another drivetrain. Maybe Disc Brakes in the front.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
joke goes here.

I hope im not that far from completing this . . . I have started to commit to the idea that i should take a welding class to get ahead. Im hoping that will allow me to get ahead slightly faster. We will see.

Subaru front end ? . . . Please send me a link or Do-Tell about this. I am considering some upgrades since i will be in here replacing and cutting up anyways.

Current Considerations = Adjustable and Shortened beam, Take out rear-reduction gears (Which will lower the bus) and replace with another drivetrain. Maybe Disc Brakes in the front.

perhaps you want to consider a 2 step process? fix the front frame. Install stock pieces, and have stock bus inspected? then upgrade the drive train?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

What do you mean "Inspected" ?
Are you just referring to ensuring it runs as expected before modifying suspension to fit a Subaru . . .or whatever other mods are decided on?

THanks for the help and suggestions.

-John
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:

Current Considerations = Adjustable and Shortened beam, Take out rear-reduction gears (Which will lower the bus) and replace with another drivetrain. .

Why ?

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:
What do you mean "Inspected" ?
Are you just referring to ensuring it runs as expected before modifying suspension to fit a Subaru . . .or whatever other mods are decided on?

THanks for the help and suggestions.

-John

i figured you will have to get the frame repairs looked at before you can get your bus registered. In Germany for example, frame repairs can keep you from getting your bus registered. Not sure what that is called in Australia?

Uli

greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

No such need for frame "Inspection" in the US. Especially for antique vehicles (This may vary by state, but in my state i can register as an antique and there is Zero inspection required).
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:
No such need for frame "Inspection" in the US. Especially for antique vehicles (This may vary by state, but in my state i can register as an antique and there is Zero inspection required).

i somehow had Australia on my brain. I live in the US myself, no safety regulations here. Sorry about my confusion

Uli

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Your idea of VERY solid frame rails and my idea of solid frame rails are very different. I don't want to take the wind out of your sails...but you don't know how to weld yet, and want to start practicing on the most important part of the bus...under your feet? You will be money ahead by getting an estimate from a shop that has a frame rack and is willing to do the work.
You see all that pitting on the rails, that isn't good. Price out some new metal from Gerson. Once you start slicing into that donor piece, you will be shocked at how bad it really is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

When you need some inspiration for your perspiration, justvsearch this forum for “desert Bus”

Very Happy

greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Totally do not plan on doing the Welding on the Frame myself.

Still trying to track a local (In Texas) welder or shop to take on this project . . .most seem to want small projects that are less time consuming and more turnaround.

And as far as the "Solid" frame rails . . . they seem to be in Great condition. Slight pitting and overall when "Knocked" with something hard give a good sound response.

I will of course allow the "Professional" who will do the welding make the call on the metal.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:

Why? Learn to do it correctly and with proper penetration and fitment, there is no reason a DIY'r can't weld a frame together. Actually, the thicker metal will be easier for a noob. Just make sure your measurements and fitment are spot on and tight. Practice practice practice on like gauge and type metal. When you can do it correctly on scrap, give the real deal a try.

You can do it!
greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
greanie2011 wrote:

Why? Learn to do it correctly and with proper penetration and fitment, there is no reason a DIY'r can't weld a frame together. Actually, the thicker metal will be easier for a noob. Just make sure your measurements and fitment are spot on and tight. Practice practice practice on like gauge and type metal. When you can do it correctly on scrap, give the real deal a try.

You can do it!

LOVE IT!!!!!!
These forums need to have more positivity such as yourself. Ill take it as inspiration and Motivation. THanks!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: