Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Trans and Diff Shims
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T91Carat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Auto Trans and Diff Shims Reply with quote

91 Carat, auto. In the process of swapping for a EJ22 and updating all seals possible while the engine and transaxle are out of the vehicle.

Upon splitting the Diff from the Trans we noticed that one of the two shims that where on the there looks severely misshapen. The one looks perfect... the other is no longer round and actually has scoring on it.

Has anyone seen this before? And where can I go to another to replace it?

Thanks,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
blee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans and Diff Shims Reply with quote

Looking for the same, did you ever find them? If so where. Thanks
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans and Diff Shims Reply with quote

The manual has the part numbers for the different thickness shims. Lately it seems trans parts are available from Porsche. Once you have the numbers, you can google and see what comes up.

edit: I was wrong, my Bentley manual does not show the part numbers. I remembered wrong. My ETKA does not show the shims either. Weird.

Last edited by MarkWard on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans and Diff Shims Reply with quote

I bought the following shims from Mc-Master Carr, .30mm, .40mm, 1.0mm, 1.2mm. And 1.5mm. Stock shims were listed in Bentley as .40mm and 1.2mm if I remember right, but I got an assortment just to be safe.
While Porsche may still stock them, McMaster has them here in the States.
Steel and Stainless Steel. I believe all the ones I bought were steel.
I can look up my order history if you need more info.
Fit just fine on the ID and OD needed, and I use the Transmission assembly heavy lube to keep them together and next to the Final Drive assembly while installing the trans against the final drive.
Not expensive at all since they’re small and so thin... Cool

Okay, 3088A368 gets you .38mm,/ inch spec is .015”. Works great as the .40mm shim

And for 1.2mm, use 3088A458, which is 1.19mm/ .0470”
Rockwell B65 spec carbon steel, 1008/1010

ID is basically 32mm and OD is approx 45mm for both
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans and Diff Shims Reply with quote

Yup I second the McMaster-Carr shims.
Seems like the cheapest easiest solution and was also my suggestion in the "Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle" thread when the same subject came up.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans and Diff Shims Reply with quote

I got mine from a Porsche specific site based in Atlanta, though they had to order them from Europe. Expedited shipping was still pretty cheap ($10-$20, don't remember). Once you know what thickness you need, you can find the part numbers in the Bentley and get the exact ones. I think I either got them from Auto Atlanta, or Vertex Auto.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: